PDA

View Full Version : SIG 556 Classic

awidener
08-09-10, 11:50
Anyone have any experience with this rifle. I was looking at one and was impressed. was wondering if anyone has any range time with one.

Thanks,

Andy

Aanayab1
08-09-10, 12:49
Glad to see there are people local to me on the forum. A friend of mine down in the Tampa Fl area has a swat model by sig. I went to the range with him last time I was down and it seemed to be nice and accurate and of course he loves it. but that is all I know about them. Try to use the search function and see what comes up. best of luck to you, Have you been to Byrd's Specialty Arms in Jonesborough?

Antonio

awidener
08-09-10, 12:55
Glad to see there are people local to me on the forum. A friend of mine down in the Tampa Fl area has a swat model by sig. I went to the range with him last time I was down and it seemed to be nice and accurate and of course he loves it. but that is all I know about them. Try to use the search function and see what comes up. best of luck to you, Have you been to Byrd's Specialty Arms in Jonesborough?

Antonio

Yeah, I've been down to Byrd's. I've been to just about every gun/shooting/army surplus store in the area. i'm really really torn right now. Do I go with another AR type 5.56 platform, or do I go up to .308/7.62x39?!?!?!?!?!?!

Was at the range yesterday and the guy next to me pulls out an AK. I've got the noise activated tactical hearing protection headgear and I had to add some sponge hearing aids after he shot about 20 rounds. Love the AK, but for me, If I go .308, I want to be able to get out past 500-600 yards accurately....So many rifles, so many options, so little money:confused:

Phazuka
08-09-10, 14:49
I'm crazy about mine. I was going to get an ACR or a SCAR but decided on the 556 Classic with upgrades. I'll be able to get an SBR 556 Classic as well for the price of one ACR or SCAR. It has really moved up to be my favorite piston gun. And I have a 522 setup exactly like the 556 for cheap plinking. Man, is the 522 FUN. Absolutely, no ammo guilt involved.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c328/phazuka/HPIM0565.jpg

sayndesyn
08-11-10, 19:33
I'm a big fan of SIG as a NH native and a 220 owner, but I had heard some mixed reviews about there 556 saying it was overpriced for the offering. The plinker sure does look like fun though..

Moose-Knuckle
08-11-10, 20:26
Sig is not the company it once was. I was really exicted about the 556 when I first heard about them. I bought one when they first came out in '07 and later a 556P to SBR. Needless to say I sold my 556 and Im in the process of selling the 556P.

Sig's inablilty to match the same quality as their Swiss Arms rifles and failure to offer the same configurations is what turned most folks off. Combine that with cheap aftermarket furniture, mags, and RDSs' from China and Israel.

There is a lot of info on the boards about these rifles so do your research. http://sigarms556.com/

HK51Fan
08-12-10, 23:30
I think the basic platform is sound, but yeah the furniture is crap.

If you want to do a little extra work and add some parts. Most importantly a SIG side folder, that alone makes the weapon feel so much better. I think a cerakote or duracoat finish needs to be applied the. The new diopter sights seem to be hit or miss. I was lucky enough to get a good set. Overall, I spent 1200 for my patrol carbine, add another 500 for the buttstock and refinishing and you have a damn nice rifle. They shoot great!