PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide G19 or G26

Ga Shooter
08-09-10, 15:40
I am about to sell my CCW G36 and buy a CCW in a Glock 9MM platform. I can only handle the weapons and have no place to go rent them to shoot them first. I liked the 36 and shot it well and had problems with it but .45 just got expensive to feed. I know the 19 and 26 are both favorites of a lot people and I have read the year with the 26 but htey have the new Gen 4 19 out and I have already got a Gen 4 17. With a Raven Phantom I had no problem concealing the 36 but it did seem to be a little on the heavy side. I am not trying to start a model war but I cannot make up my mind wich one to get. I think I prefer the 19 especially since it comes in the Gen4 version but I am not sure how well I can conceal it. Thanks for your help.

just a scout
08-09-10, 16:37
I have a 19 and a 17. 17 is SHTF, zombies, etc. The 19 I bought first, intending to use it for that and CCW. However, since I got my 17, the 19 is superfluous. I'm intending on selling it to finance a 26 for CCW and just stick to the 17 for all other tasks. Trying to conceal the 19 is about the same as the 17, so why should I have 2 big(ger) pistols?

BTW, I also, had a 21 that I sold for the same reason as you: too expensive to shoot. That was the best shooting .45 I ever had, including a Para-Ord, HK USP-C, 1911 and a SIG for a little while. G21 was the most comfortable, softest shooting and most accurate. More accurate than my G19, evem.

demkofour
08-09-10, 16:38
I think I prefer the 19 especially since it comes in the Gen4 version but I am not sure how well I can conceal it. Thanks for your help.

Hands down- GLOCK 19 over the 26. IMHO, the 26 doesn't do anything the 19 already does. If you carry the 26 with a pinky extension or higher cap magazine (as most do), concealment is the same as a 19 with less rounds except a few ounces lighter... And this is coming from someone who has been carrying a GLOCK every working day since the early 90s. I am issued both a 26 and a 19 by my agency and hardly ever carry the 26 over the 19.

Just my .02 cents

platoonDaddy
08-09-10, 18:37
My $.02

Have a G26OD for EDC and a Gen 4 17 for raising hell at the range. Have put a few thousand rounds through a rental G19 at various training programs, but for carry my monies is on the G26.

I don't have any problem with the "pinky" finger when using the G26. Use an IWB holster from Talon, great leather holster, less than $60.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qllEpOFByxA

djegators
08-09-10, 19:00
G19 is a great all-around gun; good for carry, home defense, or the range. If need something a little smaller, then get the 26.

ruddyhair
08-09-10, 19:25
if you already have a 17 then it makes more sense to get a 26. a greater difference in size between the two leads to more carry options.

M4arc
08-09-10, 19:46
I own and carry both regularly.

I carried a G19 for years and while I was happy with it, carrying it in the summer could be challenging when I mostly wear shorts and t-shirts. It’s hard to adjust your wardrobe when its 98 degrees with a 105+ heat index. So I set out looking for a sub-compact to carry during the summer months and since I was already invested in the Glock 9mm platform I bought a G26.

Carrying it made life easier. It carried and concealed better when the temperatures rose. I could, without making any adjustments in how I dress, carry it in most situations, wearing typical summer attire. After spending some time shooting it I found I actually shot it better than my G19 (and G17) and that it was just as manageable even without any pinky extensions.

In fact I was so impressed I continued to carry it well into the fall and over that first winter. I would switch back and carry my G19 as well, depending on the situation, but I never felt outgunned when carrying the G26. I think I might have felt more confident too because it was easier and more comfortable to carry given my size.

I still carry it a lot these days, rotating between it and the G19. Carrying the G26 in a CCC Looper almost makes you forget you’re carrying. My favorite ammo, Win Ranger 127gr +P+, works great in the little Glock too. In fact the G26 is my only Glock that has yet to record a stoppage of any type (but it doesn’t have as many rounds through it as my G19 or my G17).

My advice to you is to buy a G26 for CCW since you already have a G17. If didn’t have a G17 and wanted one gun to do it all then I would recommend the G19 but in your case I say go with the 26. However, I’m going to warn you now: you will end up buying a G19 eventually. You’re only going to prolong the inevitable. :D

Argus
08-09-10, 19:50
If you were only going to have one Glock, I'd recommend the 19. But since you already have a G17, I think the G26 makes more sense. I have a 26 and 19. I carry the G26 almost exclusively (it's on my hip right now), and use the 19 as my house gun.

I can and sometimes do CCW with the G19, but personally I find the 26 much easier to conceal and far more comfortable to carry for extended periods of time.

Don't get me wrong, I love my G19. But if you're choosing between the two and already have a 17, I don't really see much that the 19 offers that the 26 doesn't.

sapper36
08-09-10, 19:58
I have a 19 and 26 as well. I picked them up to carry as primary and bug. Like others have said the 26 is very easy to conceal in shorts and a t-shirt. I use the 2 round extensions on the 26 and it provides a very good grip. Not as good as the 19 but its will work in a fight. I feel that the 19 is as large a Glock as I would need to own. With the 19 it stays around my waste, the 26 is very nice in an ankle holster. I also prefer the 26 when wearing suits or tucked in shirts in a tuckable IWB.

Ga Shooter
08-09-10, 20:15
However, I’m going to warn you now: you will end up buying a G19 eventually. You’re only going to prolong the inevitable. :D

Yea I know! The better question might be what should I buy first.:D

Thanks for thereply guys I think I am leaning towards the 26 at this point. Does anyone know if there are any plans for a Gen4 26 anytime soon?

ICANHITHIMMAN
08-09-10, 20:47
Here is my take. Had a GLOCK 19 gave it to the wife as her off duty gun regreted it ever sence. Got an m&p40c to fill the gap gun shot very very well. Did not even know I was carrying it most of the time. Did not fit my hand all that well so today took it to the shop and traded it for another GLOCK 19.

Im 6'3" 215 and the GLOCK 26 and M&Pc are just to small for me

Omega Man
08-09-10, 23:16
The grip on the G26 is way too small for me. I cant get a good enough grip on it, and i would never carry a pistol smaller than a G19. I find the G19 very easy and comfortable to carry. You should rent both and then you will know for sure what works for you.

sfguard
08-09-10, 23:47
I have a 4th gen G17, and 4th Gen G19 along with a 3rd gen G26. My G17, and G26 guns are used for GSSF and of course practice only. I use my G19 for off duty carry. The 26 grip is just too short without pinky grips on it. With the extensions what is the point? I would rather have the G19 with a few more rounds in it.

DocGKR
08-10-10, 00:10
If restricted to magazines carrying 10 rounds or less, go with the G26.

Likewise if J-frames are not authorized as a BUG, the G26 is works in that role.

Otherwise I far prefer G19's. When carrying in a good IWB holster, most folks I know can conceal a G19 just as well as a G26, with the added advantages of longer sight radius, 4" barrel, and ability to mount a light...

dojpros
08-10-10, 00:53
G19. Simply a great all around tool.

ROCKET20_GINSU
08-10-10, 04:20
I would go for the G26, sure the G19 one of the all time favorites but I find the baby glock substantially easier to conceal and offers more carry options. You've already got a great full size gun w/ rail for range and HD applications so I would go for the most versatile CCW gun.

Btw, G17 mags make GREAT G26 ccw reloads :D

GU

Alpha Sierra
08-10-10, 05:30
Hiding a full size pistol is a lot easier than most people think.

Even in 95 degree heat with 100 deg + heat index, I wear loose fitting untucked shirts over a t shirt. I fasten all buttons except the collar button and the very lowest one.

I am comfortable dressing that way since a) I grew up in the tropics so heat and humidity were a year round thing and b) I spent too many years wearing .nav uniforms.

I can easily conceal a full size M&P and have no doubt I could do same with a G17. A G19 would be downright easy and leaves me no reason to buy anything smaller.

My M&P9c sits mostly unused.

Drew78
08-10-10, 07:35
I tend to EDC my 26 more than my 19... At a whopping 5'7" and 170 lbs, I am a pretty small guy. I can carry my 26 in a Sparks VM2 and it is pretty much invisable. When I do carry the 19 in a VM it is comfy, but any slight bend at the waist and the butt of my 19 strts poking out pretty noticeably. With 2 lil ones, I am often times forced into "low" positions to tie a shoe, pick someone up, ect.....

I dont have to worry about it with the 26...

And, I typically shoot my 26 MUCH better than my 19's...

jsmithy
08-10-10, 07:44
The 26 is a small bit better to carry. I usually carry the 19 though.

JonInWA
08-10-10, 08:06
Good news-there's no "wrong" decision to be made between the two.

I prefer the G19; I've had a G27 before, and, as was mentioned by Demkofour early in this thread, to comfortably shoot it I added the Pierce magazine extension-which essentially took it to the same height profile as the G19, and I really didn't find that the shortened slde of the G27 added that much to concealability-the butt was the key thing, and adding the magazine extension rendered that difference betwen the 2 guns moot.

I find the G19 to be easier to shoot, and more versatile-but that's me, and what you find may be different.

Best, Jon

CCK
08-10-10, 08:27
I have 2 17's, 3 19's and a 26. I carry the 26.

SHIVAN
08-10-10, 08:33
I carry the 19, and hate how small the 26 is in my hand. The 19 ups the capacity in the gun, makes it just about as big as the 26 with the pinky extended mags, and conceals just about the same for me.

I don't do t-shirts, and I always wear a sturdy belt so those considerations are moot for me.

jasonhgross
08-10-10, 08:34
if you already have a 17 then it makes more sense to get a 26. a greater difference in size between the two leads to more carry options.

I agree completely. I think the 19 is the best overall, but if you have a 17 I think the 19 is too close to make a difference, but with the 26 the difference will be quite noticeable. I have 2 19's but sometimes I wish I had gone with 17s and a 26 for concealment.

VooDoo6Actual
08-10-10, 09:06
easy day G19

QuickStrike
08-10-10, 16:44
I have both and prefer the g26 for CCW. That grip does not poke out as much when you are tying your shoes, lifting something, etc.

Conceals better in my polos.

I also use the same bladetech holster for both.

Seraph
08-10-10, 17:06
If the 19 were the only model Glock, I'd be pleased as pie. I have no trouble comfortably vanishing a Glock 19, even under a t-shirt, with the holsters I use. Makes the Glock 19 an easy choice.

skyugo
08-10-10, 18:29
i own both, if i could only have one it would be the 26.
i shoot it very nearly as well, and it's much more concealable. it's also an excellent deep concealment gun with a smart carry or similar holster.
the 19 isn't that hard to conceal, but if you do have to carry in any sort of less permissive environment you will probably leave it home, and be unarmed.
that said, if you work for yourself or otehrwise never have to really really avoid potential printing, the 19 is a bit faster out of the holster and a little more enjoyable to shoot.

i think of the 26 not as a subcompact 9, but as a tiny service pistol. you ran run that little bastard hard. :D

Roy
08-10-10, 23:31
If i could only choose one it would be the 19/23 size over the 26/27 size.

if you are going to run the pinky or plus two ext on it they are the same size but the 19/23 size gives you full purchase.

I just bought my first sub and it does shoot very well but it is still going to be a niche gun for me

davestarbuck
08-11-10, 01:59
I own a 19,26, and a 34. I can conceal the 34 easily with just a T-shirt and a IWB holster. That said I carry the 19 most of the time... I almost never carry the 26....

-dave

Detmongo
08-11-10, 07:59
i own both but i find myself carrying the 26 more in this weather than the 19. i can and do stick the 26 in a pocket quite a bit these days when running out to do honey do stuff. once the weather breaks i will switch back to the 19. i shoot the 26 well so i do not feel under gunned when carrying it.

Beat Trash
08-11-10, 13:19
i own both but i find myself carrying the 26 more in this weather than the 19. i can and do stick the 26 in a pocket quite a bit these days when running out to do honey do stuff. once the weather breaks i will switch back to the 19. i shoot the 26 well so i do not fell under gunned when carrying it.

This is me. If I could only have one Glock, it'd by a G19. If I could have 2, then it'd be a 19 & a 26.

My Glock 26 lives in a kydex pocket holster by FIST. It's a summer gun for me.

If I am going to use a regular IWB holster, then I go ahead and use my G19. I can conceal the 19 in an IWB as well as my 26.

HK45
08-14-10, 10:04
I carry both a Gen 4 19 and 17. Easy peasy. Just get the right holster. I won't carry a pistol I can't get a full gip on and can barely get one on a 19.

eagle359
08-14-10, 10:40
I would ask which one do you shoot better. In the event that you need it-I think that the ability to shoot well would greatly outweigh the ease to carry.

skyugo
08-14-10, 11:50
I would ask which one do you shoot better. In the event that you need it-I think that the ability to shoot well would greatly outweigh the ease to carry.

i'd have to disagree with that. first rule of a gunfight is bring a gun.

besides, the G26 is a great shooter. i'd happily take it to a 1000 round+ class.

DWood
08-14-10, 14:03
I am about to sell my CCW G36 and buy a CCW in a Glock 9MM platform. I can only handle the weapons and have no place to go rent them to shoot them first. I liked the 36 and shot it well and had problems with it but .45 just got expensive to feed. I know the 19 and 26 are both favorites of a lot people and I have read the year with the 26 but htey have the new Gen 4 19 out and I have already got a Gen 4 17. With a Raven Phantom I had no problem concealing the 36 but it did seem to be a little on the heavy side. I am not trying to start a model war but I cannot make up my mind wich one to get. I think I prefer the 19 especially since it comes in the Gen4 version but I am not sure how well I can conceal it. Thanks for your help.

Between the 19 and 26, the 19 is the better choice for me unless you want to ankle or pocket carry. I don't like the dangling pinky effect, but I can shoot the 26 OK in spite of it. As stated above, mag extensions make no sense on the mag in the gun as the OAL of a 26 is now as long as a 19 with less capacity. Extensions or even longer mags (19 or 17 mags) are fine for extras on the belt.

I had the same dilema between the 23 and 27, having both. I just sold the 27 to put the funds into another project. I also have a 36, 34, and 35 though, and the 36 has been my every day gun for a while now in a Milt Sparks OWB leather holster. I need to order a second mag holder from Sparks as I don"t like carrying only one extra with the 6 round capacity.

Now, my real question is "are you OK going to 9mm from 45 acp"? I would rather have the 45 acp for carry, and please don't anyone make this a 9mm VS 45 acp bash. The question is for the OP who is selling his 45.

How much are you shooting it? Can you afford both and practice with the 9mm? If money is the issue, I understand, but I would just shoot a little less for now. If not, then I like the 36 and would keep it. Mine has not had any of the reported malfunctions that some people love to fixate on. I absolutely love the slim grip with the single stack and the narrower slide. I wish (and hear) that Glock would pursue more single stack designs.

Weight can't be the issue as a loaded 36 weighs 26.99 oz while a 19 weighs 29.98 and a 26 weighs 26.10 (all weights according to Glock). The 19 has more than double the round capacity and that adds the extra weight since the guns are almost the same weight empty.

anyway, the 19 makes a better choice than a 26 for most situations, pocket and ankle carry being the two exceptions I can think of.

Alpha Sierra
08-14-10, 17:38
If you dress casually, fully concealing a 17 is no big deal.

Sell the 36 and buy a case of ammo and train some more instead of another gun.

HK45
08-14-10, 19:02
Ditto. I have a lot of affection for .45 after 30+ years of shooting it but as good as 9mm JHP's are today I don't see the need.

Bulldog7972
08-14-10, 22:13
Between the 19 and 26, the 19 is the better choice for me unless you want to ankle or pocket carry. I don't like the dangling pinky effect, but I can shoot the 26 OK in spite of it. As stated above, mag extensions make no sense on the mag in the gun as the OAL of a 26 is now as long as a 19 with less capacity. Extensions or even longer mags (19 or 17 mags) are fine for extras on the belt.

I had the same dilema between the 23 and 27, having both. I just sold the 27 to put the funds into another project. I also have a 36, 34, and 35 though, and the 36 has been my every day gun for a while now in a Milt Sparks OWB leather holster. I need to order a second mag holder from Sparks as I don"t like carrying only one extra with the 6 round capacity.

Now, my real question is "are you OK going to 9mm from 45 acp"? I would rather have the 45 acp for carry, and please don't anyone make this a 9mm VS 45 acp bash. The question is for the OP who is selling his 45.

How much are you shooting it? Can you afford both and practice with the 9mm? If money is the issue, I understand, but I would just shoot a little less for now. If not, then I like the 36 and would keep it. Mine has not had any of the reported malfunctions that some people love to fixate on. I absolutely love the slim grip with the single stack and the narrower slide. I wish (and hear) that Glock would pursue more single stack designs.

Weight can't be the issue as a loaded 36 weighs 26.99 oz while a 19 weighs 29.98 and a 26 weighs 26.10 (all weights according to Glock). The 19 has more than double the round capacity and that adds the extra weight since the guns are almost the same weight empty.

anyway, the 19 makes a better choice than a 26 for most situations, pocket and ankle carry being the two exceptions I can think of.

Dwood, take a look at Andrews Leather for a mag holder. He makes them pancake style in either a single or double mag configuration. I've been using one for about two years now. IMHO, they are the best, you will not even notice they are on your belt. And neither will anyone else.

JAXM4
08-15-10, 10:16
+1
"Between the 19 and 26, the 19 is the better choice for me unless you want to ankle or pocket carry. I don't like the dangling pinky effect, but I can shoot the 26 OK in spite of it. As stated above, mag extensions make no sense on the mag in the gun as the OAL of a 26 is now as long as a 19 with less capacity."

I use my 27 for ankle and pocket carry, if I'm carrying IWB or OWB I go for the larger pistol.

Ga Shooter
09-30-10, 10:16
I finally sold my 36 and bought a 26 so we will see how it goes. It will get my standard mods for Glocks as soon as Ameriglo gets the sights I like back instock.:D

GermanSynergy
09-30-10, 11:45
Go with the 19. A bit more versatile and better suited to longer range sessions. The 26 is a very fine handgun as well. :D

davebee456
09-30-10, 21:34
In a State with no Magazine Capacity Ban I would go with the Glock19.
In a State with a ban in place of 10 or less I would go with the Glock26.

The accuracy is the same, and i think they are both the best Glock has to offer.

blackscot
10-01-10, 06:38
I've owned a couple of each, but have for the past four years been daily carrying the 19, so that fact should convey my preference.

The 19 is nearly as easy to conceal as the 26, but for me a lot easier to shoot because of its full-length grip. Just last month I made IDPA Expert in SSP division with it.

Mine is bone-stock other than the Warren night-sights.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n232/blackscot/G19_best.jpg

nfranco
10-01-10, 10:01
In a State with no Magazine Capacity Ban I would go with the Glock19.
In a State with a ban in place of 10 or less I would go with the Glock26.

The accuracy is the same, and i think they are both the best Glock has to offer.

This is one of the reasons I went with the 26.
If I can only have 10 rounds I decided to put them in the smallest glock I could.
It carries great and I've shot some IDPA with it.

lethal dose
10-01-10, 10:06
i feel that the g19 is the do all handgun. there is nothing it can't do. it is small enough for concealment and large enough for combat, it's got the accessory rail, a little bit longer sight radius then the g26, etc. not to say the g26 isn't a viable contender- it is. i prefer the g19, that's all.