PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody know/make...?

Yog
06-25-07, 04:57
Friends,

Does anyone know of an AR-15 carry handle that attaches via throw levers?

I'd like to mount my compact ACOG to my carry handle, but be able to (quickly) remove it, reinstall it, and have it return to zero.

Does anyone have any experience with a TA31RCO M4 sight?

Does anyone know of a throw lever scope mount that will allow me to mount a TA31 RCO M4 and not have the front sight post be in the way?

Thanks is advance for all your help.

Sincerely,

Joel N.
"Yog" (in Alaska)

rob_s
06-25-07, 07:02
Have you tried the optic and find the FSB distracting, or are you just theorizing that it might get in the way?

I think that you'll find that if you just mount up the optic right to the flattop the FSB will be a non-issue. The Marines don't seem to have a problem with it.
http://www.hrvatski-vojnik.hr/hrvatski-vojnik/0512005/bpictures/marines_trijiconRCO_usmc.jpg

Yog
06-25-07, 11:39
Rob_S,

I bought a LaRue Tactical compact ACOG mount for my SBR and mounted the compact ACOG on it. The front sight tower is too much of an obstruction for me and I'm not happy with it.

So, I want to sell the mount and try to mount the Compact ACOG on a carry handle that removes quickly.

I was planning on having 2 optical sights for my SBR, both with quick detach. mounts. But, considering the problem I'm having with the Compact ACOG I want to do my homework better BEFORE I buy the TA31RCO M4. I also like the QD mounts and want them for the TA31RCO M4 so I can quickly change optics.

I hope this makes sense. Thank you for responding to my post.

Joel N.

rob_s
06-25-07, 11:47
Weird. Which compact ACOG did you buy? I have a 1.5x and a 3x and I've never had an issue with the front sight obstructing. I now use a flipup front on a longer rail for other reasons, but not because of obstructing.

I tried my 1.5 mounted on the carry handle of an A1 upper I had because I liked the theory, but I could never get comfortable shootig with my head that high. Now I keep them all mounted down on the flattop. If your optic was mounted above your sight, why would you want to remove it "quickly"? To me the whole point of mounting it to my carry handle was that I didn't need to take it off is something happened, I could just lower my head and pick up my irons throught the tube.

This is me with the 1.5x on my flattop. This gun now wears the 3x and my 11.5" gun will wear the 1.5x if I ever get it finished.
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/EAG%20Tactical/DSC05216Small.jpg

Yog
06-25-07, 11:57
Rob_S,

Wow, you're just lucky. I bought a TA 45R-4 (1.5X) and the FST obstructs my view 90% of the time. There's a way I can position my head that lessens the obstruction, but I have to work at it and it's NOT my natural "first mount".

I love the scope and I bought it 'cause I have a similar one mounted on a fixed C/H rifle. So, I'm thinking I'll just mount this on the C/H as well.

I want to have 2 optical sights for the same firearm. Kinda weird, but that's just me. I've used the ARMS QD mounts and have been extremely happy with the absolute return to zero.

Thanks for your response.

Joel N.

shark31
06-25-07, 12:33
OK, I just want to add some things that I see as applicable to your problem.

1. The 4x TA31 series will have much less obstruction of the sight picture.

2. As Rob stated, the cheekweld with the ACOG on top is a little high. It seems as though it doesn't bother you very much, but there are several problems that I have with that type of mounting:

A. The added height will throw off your BDC if you are using a flattop model.
B. There is a reason that everyone has to dummycord their carryhandles onto military rifles (thumbscrews suck). I don't want that crap as a optics mount.

3. If you like the idea of fixed irons that are quickly removable, Larue makes a fixed rear sight that you could throw on when you aren't using one of your ACOGs. Then just get some Larue mounts for your glass and switch between 1.5x, 4x, and irons (get the ARMS mounts if you must).

4. As stated above, get throw levers for your glass, but get flip up front and rear sights.

5. There is no free lunch.

Yog
06-26-07, 23:52
Shark31,

Thanks for the response. Perhaps I'm not too clear. I'm talking about 2 different ACOGs.

I should clarify one other point. By QD, I mean throw levers. I'm NOT talking about thumbscrews.

I'm interested in a QD carry handle so I may mount my COMPACT ACOG on it. The handle will be on the rifle with the Compact ACOG on it.

Secondly, I'm interested in a QD mount for a TA31RCOM4 ACOG. My worry is that I'll have the front sight tower in the way.

I like the idea of having 2 different ACOGs for 2 different shooting scenarios on my 1 M4. I think if I can find the QD mounts for both, I'll be doing awesome.

And, I'll prove you wrong about the free lunch. If you or Rob_S ever make it to Alaska, I'll buy you lunch as thanks for all the help you've given me.

Sincerely,

Joel N.
"Yog" (in Alaska)
"Molon Labe!"