PDA

View Full Version : Black rifle / tactical store

Nugentforoffice
08-09-10, 20:10
I am just amazed at how few black rifle stores there are anymore. I know that internet sales dosen't help but come on. I just want to go somewhere that I can get my hands on some of this stuff before I buy it. Used to be able to. So I wanted to ask... How many of you have a outfitted black rifle / tactical store within 150 miles? Do you frequent the store? If you don't have one, would you frequent the store if you did? Just curious.

SteveL
08-09-10, 20:23
There's one in the city where I live, but I don't go there often. It's over a half-hour's drive and they're quite expensive, probably because they're the only game in town so dedicated to the AR. They do carry all the top tier brands, though, such as BCM, DD, Noveske, LMT, KAC, etc.

GermanSynergy
08-09-10, 20:33
Virginia Arms is 40 miles from me and they are the ne plus ultra of the one stop EBR shop...:dirol:

I am just amazed at how few black rifle stores there are anymore. I know that internet sales dosen't help but come on. I just want to go somewhere that I can get my hands on some of this stuff before I buy it. Used to be able to. So I wanted to ask... How many of you have a outfitted black rifle / tactical store within 150 miles? Do you frequent the store? If you don't have one, would you frequent the store if you did? Just curious.

DDXV
08-09-10, 20:54
Very lucky to have G&R Tactical a short half hour drive form my house.

markm
08-09-10, 20:59
In Phoenix there's more stores with ARs than ever. One store has basically morphed into a black rifle operation from a small conventional gun store.

jbsmwd
08-09-10, 21:17
there is Impacts Guns in the area that I live in but not really impressed with it would rater go to Cableas or a certian locally owned store.

ucrt
08-09-10, 21:22
Quality shops are far and few between. I think most shops got "spoiled" in the BO frenzy and couldn't help but make money and now they have to "work" for it and they are floundering.

I remember back in the "old" days when you really needed (wanted) a gun or accessory, the shops would let you lay-away or get a fair trade. Now it "same as cash financing" or a rip off trade or some other gig.

I can understand a shop making a good profit for having something in stock but to have the nads to quote me list price and then tell me they can have it in 10-days is about equivalent to calling me "internet stupid".

I was looking at a display Meopta 1-4X scope a few weeks ago at a local shop for $740. Meopta is coming out with a new model next month, so I wasn't crazy about buying an "old model" but I asked the clerk what's the best the owner could do and he chuckled and said, "He doesn't negotiate."

So, last week they had (according to their ad) a "Big Scope Sale". I went the first morning, meandered over to the scope and guess what, now the Meopta was $800 :sarcastic: ... but they would take $50 off. Just thought that was a greedy way to do business and if local shops keep pulling stunts like that, word of mouth will eventually put them out of business.

I'd really like to see some imaginative and innovative online shops come up with some kind of lay away plan or something. That sure would make buying some high ticket kit a lot easier to swallow.

I think now's the time where we'll see who the true business people are.

Buckaroo
08-09-10, 21:22
Last BRD store I was in was located in Livonia, Ga. I have family near there so I stop by once in a while. It is a 12 hour drive from my place :eek:

Buckaroo

ralph
08-09-10, 21:32
Very lucky to have G&R Tactical a short half hour drive form my house.

Same here, G&R is a little closer for me, 15-20 minutes..

lawusmc0844
08-09-10, 21:32
Even in this un AR friendly joke of a state, Riflegear.com 's store is 20 minutes north of me.

Right across the Pacific Coast Highway from MCRD San Diego, is JD Machine Tech. They make some nice rifles and their lowers are apparently made for many AR companies, including the big name ones.

Avenger29
08-09-10, 22:11
Last BRD store I was in was located in Livonia, Ga. I have family near there so I stop by once in a while. It is a 12 hour drive from my place :eek:

Buckaroo

I know that store, I think. Very interesting place, I stopped in one day. Owner dealt in NFA stuff and had a few machineguns, plus other neat stuff like Microtech AUGs and even a couple of UBR stocks (back when they were really hard to find)

I have a small shop in my town and the owner is a good guy with plenty of ARs and some accessories...he's also the best store in town (there are two other stores...one sucks, and one sucks a lot worse).

jmp45
08-10-10, 09:51
Like Ralph and DDXV, I'm about 15 - 20 minutes away from G&R.

Skyyr
08-10-10, 09:52
Quality shops are far and few between. I think most shops got "spoiled" in the BO frenzy and couldn't help but make money and now they have to "work" for it and they are floundering.

I remember back in the "old" days when you really needed (wanted) a gun or accessory, the shops would let you lay-away or get a fair trade. Now it "same as cash financing" or a rip off trade or some other gig.

I can understand a shop making a good profit for having something in stock but to have the nads to quote me list price and then tell me they can have it in 10-days is about equivalent to calling me "internet stupid".

I was looking at a display Meopta 1-4X scope a few weeks ago at a local shop for $740. Meopta is coming out with a new model next month, so I wasn't crazy about buying an "old model" but I asked the clerk what's the best the owner could do and he chuckled and said, "He doesn't negotiate."

So, last week they had (according to their ad) a "Big Scope Sale". I went the first morning, meandered over to the scope and guess what, now the Meopta was $800 :sarcastic: ... but they would take $50 off. Just thought that was a greedy way to do business and if local shops keep pulling stunts like that, word of mouth will eventually put them out of business.

I'd really like to see some imaginative and innovative online shops come up with some kind of lay away plan or something. That sure would make buying some high ticket kit a lot easier to swallow.

I think now's the time where we'll see who the true business people are.

Try Alex at EuroOptic.com. He can beat both of those prices on his KDots.

ForTehNguyen
08-10-10, 10:01
as for a tactical gear store, we have a couple Top Brass stores around town. For some of the 5.11 pants I wanted they were competitive with internet prices.