PDA

View Full Version : Monolithic Uppers

m1a_scoutguy
08-10-10, 00:54
Hey guys,,I "like" the ideal of the One piece upper and have been looking at them lately and figured I would ask the experts what you think of them !!! Are they just another AR Fad,,are they functional and worth the extra $$$$. I'm not worried about the weight,,if they do weight a tad more,,,but I would think they would be in line with most Upper & Rail combos,,but could be wrong,,,;) Anyways,,,just wondering if anyone has one,,which one and or any recommendations between the 3 that I know of,,Mega,,,Vltor & LMT !! For me right now,,just looking at the 3,,I really like the Mega & the Vltor,,not keen on the proprietary BBL for the LMT,,,but hell,,I'll never wear it out anyways,,,so it could be a Non-factor I guess. I want to run a Mid-Length BBL also when the time comes ! Thanks for any info and ideals.:)

PS: I know Colt offers there version of the Mono rail & being a Colt,,I'm sure its a Awesome rifle,,and cost wise,,probably the smart way to go,,,,,but I'm just really diggin the Mid-Length Gas BBLs lately,,I have built 2 since the 1st of the year,,,:happy: Thanks again !!

smullen
08-10-10, 01:07
Hey guys,,I "like" the ideal of the One piece upper and have been looking at them lately and figured I would ask the experts what you think of them !!! Are they just another AR Fad,,are they functional and worth the extra $$$$. I'm not worried about the weight,,if they do weight a tad more,,,but I would think they would be in line with most Upper & Rail combos,,but could be wrong,,,;) Anyways,,,just wondering if anyone has one,,which one and or any recommendations between the 3 that I know of,,Mega,,,Vltor & LMT !! For me right now,,just looking at the 3,,I really like the Mega & the Vltor,,not keen on the proprietary BBL for the LMT,,,but hell,,I'll never wear it out anyways,,,so it could be a Non-factor I guess. I want to run a Mid-Length BBL also when the time comes ! Thanks for any info and ideals.:)

PS: I know Colt offers there version of the Mono rail & being a Colt,,I'm sure its a Awesome rifle,,and cost wise,,probably the smart way to go,,,,,but I'm just really diggin the Mid-Length Gas BBLs lately,,I have built 2 since the 1st of the year,,,:happy: Thanks again !!

Much like anything your milage will very....

Some people are going to love them, some are goign to hate on them... its the interweb...

Myself, I kinda like the idea and the look...

It just seems sturdier and that all yuor gadgets BUIS (front and rear) red dot and magnifier, etc would all line up better on one continious rail...

I'm working on a LaRue build right now, but soon as I'm done with that I think my next one will be one of these...

http://noveskerifleworks.com/imimg/18v-556_1d.jpg

What works for you???

cop1211
08-10-10, 01:25
I've got a Vltor vis 2a, and just got a Mego mono rail mid, I really like them. The Mega mono rail is supper nice.

Go for it, you wont be disappointed.

nrose8989
08-10-10, 01:43
Eh, like stated above, some will like em', others will hate em'.

I'm kinda in between that. I have one, a Vltor, and honestly I really like it. The only thing I don't like is the extra weight, if there is much extra weight. I haven't held a 16" gun with a standard upper / 12" rail combo in awhile so the weight may be a figment of my imagination and me just wanting something new.

I really like the way mine is set up now, but for some reason I'm itching for something lighter.

I think if I had to do it again or change what I have right now. I would build a precision type rig around a mono upper instead of a general purpose rig.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k239/NRose15215/IMG_0104.jpg

Blankwaffe
08-10-10, 02:35
Ive never really had any use for rails,so Im a bit out of the mainstream in that regard.
But recently I have been intrigued by the Aero Precision/Armalite COP upper recievers and just how modular it is.
Only concern I have is all the fasteners involved on the COP's lower rail panels,and how well they will be retained in heavy use....but I guess Aero Precision tested for that with the given torque specs.Guess time will tell.
That said Im planning on getting one of the midlength COP receivers when they are available and doing a 16" middy SPR.
Should be interesting and breaking from my stigma anyway.

variablebinary
08-10-10, 05:01
Accept no substitutes...

http://photos.imageevent.com/smglee/ss09/huge/DSCN2240.jpg

the_accuser
08-10-10, 07:33
I wouldn't say the monolithic style uppers are a fad but they are starting to catch on. I bought an LMT MRP years ago and love it. Sure they have proprietary barrels but they are good quality and there is a variety of styles, lengths and calibers. Not to mention that if you get the CQB model you can get a piston setup as well. People may argue that the price of the barrels seems high but really they are inline with the cost of most barrels. Besides you can usually find a low round count used one at a good price online.

Here is my CQB with a few different barrels. The first is a 10.5", second is a 16" which I sent to ADCO to have contoured under the handguard and dimpled up front (nice and light) and last is another 16" setup. Changing barrels couldn't be any easier as well. I have a 6.8 barrel but I haven't used it yet.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e251/the_accuser/mrp1052.jpg
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e251/the_accuser/b2.jpg
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e251/the_accuser/mrpops141.jpg

ALCOAR
08-10-10, 10:14
Accept no substitutes...

http://photos.imageevent.com/smglee/ss09/huge/DSCN2240.jpg

Its the truth:)

One cannot compare the "polylithic" Vltor Vis or even the Mega stuff with the MRP considering the MRP is a complete system that supports lightning fast barrel changes and morphs into one of five diff. calibers, with the option of both D.I. and Piston op systems , and both high volume CL as well as some of the most accurate SS barrels that exist....all the while capturing these diff. barrels in the most free floated and rigid platform out there for an AR. The mega and vis's are essentially another gun part.....MRP is a complete weapon system more or less. I will say that at the end of the day, one can come out spending a ton less when getting a vis or the mega stuff.

kratosx9
08-10-10, 10:26
Its my first post and have been lurking around the site for some time now, and I would say that MRP's are far better looking and far stiffer than most rail platforms, and to top it all, the overall monorail design keeps the handguard cooler than most railed ones like the DD and Larue, and the free float barrel makes it even better since it helps in improving accuracy over time..... here's mine with an MRP upper.... looks bad ass than any other railed platform if you'd ask me...

m1a_scoutguy
08-10-10, 13:28
WOW,,,& Thanks guys,,Awesome replies & info !!! It all helps & it all makes it harder to decide,,LOL !!! But when you mention the LMT with the ideal of a Piston and switching calibers and BBL lengths,,that does sounds like some good ideals !!! I'm not much of a Piston AR kinda guy at the moment,,,but being able to switch to one down the road,,sounds like a nice option !!! I like the ideal of the MRP being a "complete" system & that does make good sense !! Hey what the heck does money have to do with it,,,if its what ya want & its a better setup/system,,buy it,,LOL !! I don't have a ton of $$$,,but when it comes to guns,,I normally find a way to get what I want or need !!!! :D Only thing with the LMT is they don't offer a Mid-length Gas BBL,,,,,which in my head seems like the way to go now aday,,,but I have shot my Carbine Gassed BBL for years and never knew the difference or even cared about it,,so in the end,,going back to a Carbine Gassed BBL is really no big deal !!! And getting the CQB style would be shorter,,lighter,,faster handling anyways & for the type of shooting I like,,it really would be a great setup !!!

Well I will keep ya posted on what & when I get going on this project,,it will be awhile,,but I like to get all my Ducks in a row way ahead of time & this helps a ton !!! Thanks again guys,,,very helpful !!! :) :) :D

the_accuser
08-10-10, 15:00
m1a_scoutguy, all LMT MRP 5.56 barrels 16" and 18" are midlength gas systems. Only the 10.5" and 14.5" have carbine length gas systems. Even the 12" piston setup posted by variablebinary is midlength gas system.

Jungo2
08-10-10, 15:47
Of the 3 systems mentioned, each have their pros and cons. If price, weight and barrel compatibility are a prime consideration, then the Mega has the advantage. I have a Mega 9" monolithic build and love it. It's beautifully machined, takes any standard AR barrel, is less expensive, and is significantly lighter in weight than the VLTOR or the LMT (the LMT is the heaviest of the three, but with good reason). Additionally, unlike the VLTOR and LMT, Mega provides a matching billet lower that is machined to precisely mate with their monolithic uppers. Makes for a beautiful and lightweight package.

11B30B4
08-10-10, 16:39
M1A, I have had 2 mono rails here is my rundown on them

1. ARMS SIR #50 Mil
The weight of this mono rail vs a KAC RAS is very noticeable
The Free Float was a plus for me.
The cost @ 380.00 + extras was a bit steep
The main issue I had was the rear BUIS aligning with my fixed front sight. It seems that Bushmaster does not use a mil spec front sight post . I did not learn this until after weeks of trying to figure out why I could not zero the sights. I was using the ARMS #40L BUIS and ended up ordering a different front sight post from bushmaster to get a zero.
Another issue was the fact that the SIR mounted on top of a flat top receiver. This ment that everything mounted on it would be about 1/2" higher. I learned to get past that.
The plus to this setup was that I could use any standard barrel. cleaning and replacing any broken or bent parts was easy.

2. POF Predator X9 mono rail
This rail was very similar to the SIR, it mounted on top of a flat top receiver, free floated, let me use any standard barrel (as long as i use the POF gas block). One big improvement over the SIR was that the rail extended all the across the top of the upper receiver. this ment that any BUIS I used would align as long as both the front and rear sights were mounted on the rail. This rail cost about 300.00 at the time.

In comparison with many of the mono rails out now, these systems were bolt on additions, most of the new stuff are mono uppers where the rail is integral. of these systems I was considering the colt 6940 but the special barrel forced me to not go with it.

m1a_scoutguy
08-10-10, 23:52
m1a_scoutguy, all LMT MRP 5.56 barrels 16" and 18" are midlength gas systems. Only the 10.5" and 14.5" have carbine length gas systems. Even the 12" piston setup posted by variablebinary is midlength gas system.

That's good news,,,,that they are Mid-length Gas BBLs,,,,cool !!! Thanks again guys for all the info !!! The LMT is sounding better the more I hear about it,,yea its more $$$$,,but has more Options down the road that sound easier to use or install !!! I would like a 6.8 BBL to go along with the setup !!! As far as the Mega goes,,,I really like the one with just the rail on top and rounded sides,,,I have a Troy Extreme rail & really like it !!! It would be nice to have the Mega Lower that would match up nice also !!!! :) I'll keep ya posted for sure !!!

M4Fundi
08-11-10, 00:53
Why would a monolithic be heavier than a comparable rail and upper? It seems like the monolithic not having to be connected to the upper would make it lighter?? What is the comparable weight difference?

kratosx9
08-11-10, 04:18
Here's my take on the MRP madness.... substitute to the ACR caliber change madness but with a cheaper price hehhehe... you'll still get the same caliber change capability but without the 3k usd tag price hehehhe

payj
08-12-10, 21:46
Mega Mono

Stickman
08-12-10, 22:57

Click link for full size image (http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4136/4851699595_8873ce8b11_b.jpg)

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4136/4851699595_8873ce8b11.jpg

ALCOAR
08-13-10, 01:24
WOW,,,& Thanks guys,,Awesome replies & info !!! It all helps & it all makes it harder to decide,,LOL !!! But when you mention the LMT with the ideal of a Piston and switching calibers and BBL lengths,,that does sounds like some good ideals !!! I'm not much of a Piston AR kinda guy at the moment,,,but being able to switch to one down the road,,sounds like a nice option !!! I like the ideal of the MRP being a "complete" system & that does make good sense !! Hey what the heck does money have to do with it,,,if its what ya want & its a better setup/system,,buy it,,LOL !! I don't have a ton of $$$,,but when it comes to guns,,I normally find a way to get what I want or need !!!! :D Only thing with the LMT is they don't offer a Mid-length Gas BBL,,,,,which in my head seems like the way to go now aday,,,but I have shot my Carbine Gassed BBL for years and never knew the difference or even cared about it,,so in the end,,going back to a Carbine Gassed BBL is really no big deal !!! And getting the CQB style would be shorter,,lighter,,faster handling anyways & for the type of shooting I like,,it really would be a great setup !!!

Well I will keep ya posted on what & when I get going on this project,,it will be awhile,,but I like to get all my Ducks in a row way ahead of time & this helps a ton !!! Thanks again guys,,,very helpful !!! :) :) :D

Sounds like you are leaning in the right direction pal but whatever you decide, all three will end up being a very nice setup if done properly.

You buy once, you cry once.....I have found a ton of truth in that statement with respect to firearms and parts.

Good luck and keep us updated:)

buddyhoohaw
08-13-10, 06:33
+1 for the LMT....

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y198/buddyhoohaw/LMT/DSC-15.jpg

Cheers

m1a_scoutguy
08-13-10, 13:47
+1 for the LMT....

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y198/buddyhoohaw/LMT/DSC-15.jpg

Cheers

WTF,,:D,,,That is a Badass lookin setup !!!! :dirol:Yea I agree Trident82,,,,its appers that I am leaning oneway for sure,,,now that I'm getting some more info from guys that have these setups !!!

ALCOAR
08-13-10, 14:56
WTF,,:D,,,That is a Badass lookin setup !!!! :dirol:Yea I agree Trident82,,,,its appers that I am leaning oneway for sure,,,now that I'm getting some more info from guys that have these setups !!!

Buddy's KAC/MRP masterpiece depicted above is no doubt one of my all time favorite firearms Ive seen. He also is one of the 3 gents that when in your current position a few yrs. back convinced me this is the direction I want to go in and since that time has influenced heavily influenced my MRP collection as well as my ARs in general.

MRPs i feel are extremely intimidating to someone who has never fielded one and perhaps get lost in all the tech specs and options and such. This combined with the fact that its a rather small fraternity of gents who truly understand and effectively utilize the immense potential for any MRP chassis that getting help/info on them is relatively a tough to do.

One last thing about the MRPs....if you venture to TOS, you will find a thread called "MRP badness" and its a better place to collect mrp info. I have meet a cpl. truly wonderful friends through that community and many of the gents who are OG's in that thread are no doubt the reason why I am totally in love with the MRP system.

http://i33.tinypic.com/s4uwya.jpg

kratosx9
08-13-10, 19:31
MRP all the way.... faster barrel change, easier to clean, and easier to maintain...... oh did I mention quick barrel change? hehhehe

Rated21R
08-13-10, 19:49
Is the 12 inch piston really a mid-length? I was under the impression it was a carbine.

m1a_scoutguy
08-14-10, 00:26
MRP all the way.... faster barrel change, easier to clean, and easier to maintain...... oh did I mention quick barrel change? hehhehe

Hmmmm,,so its easy and faaaaaast to change out a BBL ??? ;) How quick is it really to change one out under most circumstances ??Cool,,I have been thinking about a 6.8 Gun also for Whitetail & Coyotes,,just mite be the hot setup !!!

And Trident82,,thanks again for the info and feedback !!! I hear ya,,about the "Total" package,and getting intimidated with the whole thing,but I get a little anal about shit once I really start reading,,looking and finding out about stuff,,(specifically weapons & reloading) especially if its something I really like,so I'm not worried about that,cuz it sure looks like I'm heading that way now,,LOL !!!! So with that said,,I will get all the facts & info I can between now and the time I buy,, I also will go check out TOS now that you mentioned it,,I use to go there a few times a month,mostly just to find Pre-Ban mags,,,,,but hardly go there at all now that I'm visiting here quite a bit,,but I will go search out the thread & see whats up !! Now the bad part is that it will be a month or so before I can get going on this project,,,:( My Daughter is getting Married :) next Month,,so there goes "ALL" the extra mad money as I like to call it,,but I will be back on my feet a month or so after that & I will begin collecting "things" :D Again Thanks to everyone that has chimed in on this thread,,it is MUCH appreciated !!! :) :)

ALCOAR
08-14-10, 01:32
No problemo brother;)

A gent above made a point that seldom gets spoken of when referring to the MRP assets and that is cleaning, I absolutely love coming home from the range....unscrewing two simple bolts and poof....the barrel slides right out....to have the ability to clean a barrel by itself makes for both a significantly reduced amt. of time spent doing it and ultimately a much cleaner barrel in the end. I also do not have to deal with bore cleaner anywhere but down the tube or brass jig/chamber brushes gouging places it shouldn't be.

As far as "is a mrp barrel change fast?"....Does Charlie Daniels play a mean fiddle?:D

In all seriousness it takes under 2 min. if you are on the move......that is popping both bolts, sliding one barrel out....sliding new barrel in....re torque or screw 2 bolts back in and if you are maintaining the same bcg, slapping then bolt release and bringing the bolt home.

Eric_Oh
08-14-10, 01:47
Glad i found this thread as i've been debating which of these to run on my next build. Does anyone know the rail width specs of the MRP, Mega & VIS ? I'm used to the comfortable narrowness on the DD omega's.

Love the adaptability of the MRP, but the price tag is a bit daunting.
And the proprietary barrel is a bummer.

The Mega seems like a good setup but seems wide.

VIS seems like a great compromise. Open to use any standard barrel. Removable lower rail for easier access to gas block, which i want to run shielded under the rail. Downside is the extra weight.

Any more input guys?