PDA

View Full Version : Changing buffers=changing zero?

dorchester
08-10-10, 13:17
I've learned a lot about the whole buffer/spring/functionality thing lately. Now, when swapping out buffers to achieve the best weight for functionality, can we expect large changes in the rifle's zero? I'm sure that a benchrester would see a significant impact but would anyone else? Just curious as to anyones' actual measured experiences. Certainly, the final zeroing of the rifle must be done after all else is finished on the assembly.

The Solid
08-10-10, 13:23
i would think it would have no impact since its function does not come into play until etraction/ejection. The shot is already made by the time the buffer comes into play. I guess the added weight in the stock may or may not affect how the user shoots, but actual function on the POI i would say nothing would happen.

Sry0fcr
08-10-10, 14:37
I don't see how or why it should affect your zero.

ForTehNguyen
08-10-10, 14:39
no changes to zero

CarlosDJackal
08-10-10, 16:39
If somehow it does change zero; it is probably due to a change in how you interact with the rifle (possibly due to a difference in felt recoil).

Failure2Stop
08-10-10, 19:08
The best I can offer is, "Maybe".
Some have reported a zero shift when changing lowers, buffers, stocks, and receiver extensions.
The buffer does affect how long the bolt remains locked during firing, though that time elapse is pretty miniscule.
I'm a believer in confirming zero after changing any aspect of the operating system or fire control. It sure as hell doesn't hurt.

P2000
08-10-10, 20:26
My zero didn't change when I went with a heavier buffer.

dorchester
08-10-10, 21:28
Sounds good enough for me, doesn't seem to be a huge deal. Zero the final product anyway of course. Thanks