PDA

View Full Version : Glock 17 RTF w/Standard Serrations?

VA_Dinger
08-10-10, 20:17
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/va_dinger/glock17trf.jpg

I'm told Glock is now making G17 RTF's with standard serrations instead of the "Fish Scale" serrations that originally came on RTF's. Anybody seen a new G17 RTF with standard serrations? I want to buy one ASAP.

M4Guru
08-10-10, 20:18
Mine has the crap serrations. I would like an RTF gun with the standard ones also.

SWATcop556
08-10-10, 20:32
Haven't laid hands on one but I was told at the last armorer's class that they were dropping the fish scale serrations on the RTF frames so it looks like they will be available soon. OMB might have some.

M4arc
08-10-10, 20:59
All the new ones are coming with the regular (non-fish scale) serrations.

I stopped in Superior Pawn last weekend to pick up some 38 S&W +P ammo and all the RTFs they had (at least the ones I saw) had the regular slide serrations.

willowofwisp
08-10-10, 21:07
They have been shipping with the standard serrations since February i believe.

M4arc
08-10-10, 21:30
I've been thinking about getting a G23 RTF2 and I noticed topgunsupply.com has them in stock. Check that out as a possible source.

ck1
08-10-10, 22:09
All newer RTF2 guns will have the "normal" serrations when the supply of crecent "fish gill" slides is depleted.

FWIW, the "fish gills" look a little goofy yes, but they work better, remarkably better if your hands are sweaty (or bloody), just like the RTF2 texture on the frame actually... also costs Glock more to machine them then the "normal" ones which IMO has more to do with them phasing them out than anything else. I'd say give them a chance to grow on you and you may find function-wise you actually prefer them.

JonInWA
08-11-10, 07:36
All newer RTF2 guns will have the "normal" serrations when the supply of crecent "fish gill" slides is depleted.

FWIW, the "fish gills" look a little goofy yes, but they work better, remarkably better if your hands are sweaty (or bloody), just like the RTF2 texture on the frame actually... also costs Glock more to machine them then the "normal" ones which IMO has more to do with them phasing them out than anything else. I'd say give them a chance to grow on you and you may find function-wise you actually prefer them.

I'm a little skeptical of that; it may be true if grasping the slide only on the sides, but with the vertical ("normal") serrations, the serrations run all the way to the top of the slide sides, giving you a bit of purchase area at the top of the slide as well as on the sides. I think that that makes more sense, and I'm glad for that reason alone that Glock reverted back to them.

Best, Jon

ck1
08-11-10, 11:03
I'm a little skeptical of that; it may be true if grasping the slide only on the sides, but with the vertical ("normal") serrations, the serrations run all the way to the top of the slide sides, giving you a bit of purchase area at the top of the slide as well as on the sides. I think that that makes more sense, and I'm glad for that reason alone that Glock reverted back to them.

Best, Jon

See, if indeed better purchase is the goal, the "fish gills" win every time. They're easily twice as deep, and twice as sharp, and while on first glance they look backwards, they're not (think about how the tread pattern is oriented on a good set of off-road tires ). They're directionally shaped in such a way that where if your skin slips a bit it's actually more likely to contact more of the serration-cut... it's a pretty well thought out design, just looks too far out for a lot of guys IMHO.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f307/ckarp007/DSCN2656_thumb2.jpg

MMV, but if one were to run both types back-to-back on a hot sweaty day they'd no doubt see the benefits of the "fish gill" design.

operator81
08-11-10, 12:33
See, if indeed better purchase is the goal, the "fish gills" win every time. They're easily twice as deep, and twice as sharp, and while on first glance they look backwards, they're not (think about how the tread pattern is oriented on a good set of off-road tires ). They're directionally shaped in such a way that where if your skin slips a bit it's actually more likely to contact more of the serration-cut... it's a pretty well thought out design, just looks too far out for a lot of guys IMHO.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f307/ckarp007/DSCN2656_thumb2.jpg

MMV, but if one were to run both types back-to-back on a hot sweaty day they'd no doubt see the benefits of the "fish gill" design.

I have found the fish gill serrations offer more purchase "only" if one is using the "sling-shot" method of releasing the slide. When using the proper, overhand method of releasing the slide, the standard serrations offer more purchase on the slide as the serrations run all the way up the slide. This however, is only based on my personal experience.

ck1
08-11-10, 14:00
Well, the "proper" way to release the slide is a discussion unto itself...

To each his own, whatever, no big deal, I'm just saying give the fish gills a chance, they're not so bad...

Moose-Knuckle
08-11-10, 14:35
I have seen a few here and there, if I get a bead on one I'll let y'all know.

m91196
08-11-10, 17:39
My RTF has a born on date of February 2010 and it has the fish scales.

They are not that bad function wise, look like they belong on a toy.

Palmguy
08-11-10, 19:55
My RTF has a born on date of February 2010 and it has the fish scales.

They are not that bad function wise, look like they belong on a toy.

Switchover was probably in February as someone else mentioned. My 19 is dated Feb as well and it has the standard serrations.