PDA

View Full Version : Back to the .40?

Roy
08-11-10, 00:33
Ok guys been mulling this over and was looking for some feed back.

Back Ground. Been shooting for 15 years. Competing and for fun. Carrying for 6 years. worked at a gun shop for 4 years. Work for a Sheriff's office in SE Michigan now.

We are allowed to carry any Glock on duty from 19/17/34 23/22/35 21
and allowed any thing over 380 for back up.

I started carrying a G 22 and Surefire On duty with a J frame for back up and a 23 off duty

The gen 3 22 with a light started to puke on me and i did not trust it for work .

I changed to a 21 on duty backed by my J frame
and a 19 off duty. I LOVE MY 19

Im planning on trying out for our SWAT team. The team mandates .40 cal and reccomends the G 35.

I dont think i want to juggle 45 for duty / 9mm for off / and 40 for call outs

IS it just me or does it make sense to go back to the .40 cal.

I shoot the .40 well, of course i shoot the 9mm better.

I have never had a problem with my 23 so i am thinking of just upgrading the Duty gun to a Gen 4 22 for duty use and retiring my .45

Am i thinking stupid? I know the .40 cal is not the prefered caliber for most guys round here but i think it may make sense. What say you

Seraph
08-11-10, 00:48
First, you should definitely keep your Glock 19.

That said, if you're serious about getting on the SWAT team, you probably should get the prescribed Glock 35, and make it your constant companion for a while.

Roy
08-11-10, 01:04
Yeah the 19 is not going anywhere.. planning on a Gen 4 to keep it company,,

I am planning on getting the 35 however after how my 22 was acting i was hoping on getting the 35 in gen 4 to fix the probs as well..

SWATcop556
08-11-10, 01:22
The Gen4 G22 would be a good option. I think you would also be well served with the G35 as there were fewer problems with them than the Gen3 G22.

If it was me and Glock was the only choice I would opt for the Gen4 G22.

JonInWA
08-11-10, 07:30
Roy, in your case just going with either the Gen4 G22 or a G35 makes sense. And if you can wait until later in the summer, there's a rumor that the Gen4 G34/G35 will be out-check with your Glock LE rep.

Best, Jon

dojpros
08-11-10, 11:04
Get the G35 and drive on. IMHO, the recoil impulse of the G35 with 165/180 Speer and 180 Golden Saber is no more harsh that 124+p or 127 +p in a G19. Make sure it is configured exactly how it needs to be for SWAT i.e. 3.5 v 5.5 trigger etc.

In my sample of one and from my "research", the G35 did not have the issues the G22 had re the WML.

Pre gen 4, the G34/35 series was, for me much easier to shoot fast and well with such that they have become my go to guns. Should they go Gen 4, I suspect I will pony up and buy them.

Entropy
08-11-10, 11:44
Stick with .40 in a recommended 180gr loading. Recoil of the 180gr is rather mild and very comparable to hotter 9mm loads.

As far as the platform, that is very subjective to the tastes of the user. Personally I favor the balance of 4" barrel pistols, especially when you start adding rail attachements. The 4" barrel keeps the balance more to the rear and for me improves overall handling. Also, I just plain shoot compact pistols better up to 25yrds than full sized models. If it were me picking, I'd go with the 4th generation G23.

Roy
08-11-10, 11:52
Thanks for the Help guys. I had a feeling that streamlining was the way to go. Ill be looking to get a Gen 4 22 to hold me over till the 35's come out

just got a 27 for back up use.

CyberM4
08-11-10, 12:28
G35 is the way too go. SWAT recommends it. How soon before you start your training for SWAT?

deuce9166
08-11-10, 12:33
Get the G35 and drive on. IMHO, the recoil impulse of the G35 with 165/180 Speer and 180 Golden Saber is no more harsh that 124+p or 127 +p in a G19. Make sure it is configured exactly how it needs to be for SWAT i.e. 3.5 v 5.5 trigger etc.

In my sample of one and from my "research", the G35 did not have the issues the G22 had re the WML.

Pre gen 4, the G34/35 series was, for me much easier to shoot fast and well with such that they have become my go to guns. Should they go Gen 4, I suspect I will pony up and buy them.

+1,
I shoot 180 grain Ranger in my G35 and I think its softer shooting than Ranger 115+p+ in my G34. I have been shooting the G35 and G34 alot the last five years and I have not expierienced any problems relating to a weapon light and that is using five different guns. I have shot a Gen 4 G22 and did not care for it. YMMV

Paulinski
08-11-10, 13:07
Is the Gen 4 G35 worth waiting for?

I'm on the market for G35 and would like the OD frame before its discontinued but if Gen 4 offers improvements worth getting I'll get that.

Roy
08-11-10, 13:17
I am Training already for the physical part. Im not sure when tryouts are but id like to be all good to go when they come around. and we are only allowed to qualify with 3 handguns 1 time a year. so i want to make sure i got my list ready to go for quals in sep.

Dos Cylindros
08-11-10, 18:41
I went through this dilema a few years ago. My department issues the G22, or the G23. I have the G22 for duty carry and for me it has been trouble free even with a light attached. I carried my 19 off duty and due to the fact that I now work plain clothes full time I had matching carry rigs for each so everything save caliber was the same.

Then came the day that I was out and about off duty and when I got home I realized that I was carrying my 19 but my spare mag was the mag for my G22. I had accidentally mixed them up while on my gear self even though I did my best to keep them separate. This was sobering for me, obviously because if I had needed that reload I would have been in a world of hurt. I began carrying my G22 on and off duty until I was able to pick up a 23 for off duty and I use my G22 spare mag as a reload. Still have the 19 but it sits in the safe now. I have no dog in the 9mm vs. 40 S&W debate. I get free .40 ammo and my .40 Glocks work so that is what I go with. I would highly suggest going with everything the same caliber.

kjdoski
08-11-10, 20:34
Personally, I don't care for the .40, and much prefer either the 9mm or .45, assuming I can get decent loadings for either. Having said that, if you want to get on the SWAT team, and they mandate .40, and recommend a G35, I'd get one. If you find that you like it as much as most people do, you might just decide to make it your full time duty pistol.

If you're looking to really simplify your life, but the G35 doesn't work for you as a duty gun, I'd look at a Gen4 G23 (when they come out) for both duty and CCW use. That way you could use one type/size of magazines for all your reloads - on or off duty, patrol or SWAT.

The other option I'd offer, if you don't like the G35 for everyday carry, is to just use your G19 for duty use and CCW. Using G22/35 "full length" magazines for the 40 and standard G19 mags for the 9mm will help keep things straight.

I have both a G19 and G23, and I can tell you, keeping those magazines separated and quickly identifiable is a major PITA...

Regards,

Kevin

ROCKET20_GINSU
08-12-10, 03:04
The other option I'd offer, if you don't like the G35 for everyday carry, is to just use your G19 for duty use and CCW.

Good advice. If it were me, I'd probably go with this option. Though I would use the full length (G17) mags on duty as long as the dept. was ok with that.

I have both a G19 and G23, and I can tell you, keeping those magazines separated and quickly identifiable is a major PITA...

I have a simple system that might make that simpler...

I use numbers (1,2,3...) on all my practice mags and letters (A,B,C...) on all my carry mags. I use white out pens and paint it on the base plate, if that didn't jive with SOP for the dep, I would just write it on the tube near the base plate so that no one could see it.

I don't own any 40.'s anymore but if I had 2 calibers of glocks I would use letters on one caliber and numbers on the other caliber. If I had more (or more criteria) I would consider using roman numerals and/or chinese number characters (it's my second language and easier than you think lol)

GU

DWood
08-12-10, 07:04
....................The gen 3 22 with a light started to puke on me and i did not trust it for work.............

Since nobody asked about that part of your post, I will; can you provide details?

I don't see a big dilema with going back to .40; it's a proven caliber and the department says you need the Model 35 for SWAT, right?

If I could easily carry my Model 35 fully concealed, I would. It is one of my favorite pistols. I have a friend who carries concealed IWB, but it's not for me.

Chameleox
08-12-10, 07:47
The G35 was recommended, and .40 was required for the OP's team.

My choice would be to go with a G22 for duty and SWAT, and the 23 for off duty/plainclothes. I can't see buying an all new gun for SWAT, unless it will be your full time assignment and/or a full time gun. It becomes another gun to maintain, keep track of, and stay up on (its a Glock, but a different Glock than your usual ones).

If you're a part time team, like mine is, where would your gun sit? How often would you shoot it/clean it? Will it have a different trigger pull than your duty gun (3.5# vs 5 or 8#)?

FWIW, I've been carrying a G22 and Surefire for a while, with a round count in the thousands with the light on. I arranged my duty, SWAT, plainclothes, and off duty holsters for carrying with the light (usually only carry the 27 off duty), so the light never comes off, even for training. No issues with reliability. I have new mags, and only shoot 180 gr ammo.

sff70
08-12-10, 08:05
Maybe you should reduce the Murphy factor as much as possible by making things very basic and similar as possible.

G35 for SWAT/duty.

G23 for otherwise (although there are people who do EDC G34/35s)

Use one G23 mag, in the G23. Use G22/35 mags for everything else.

Everything else gets put in storage.

Would suck to bring a G17/19 mag to the fight.

dojpros
08-12-10, 10:39
SFF70 is spot on. If SWAT is driving the train, .40 cal is your platform.

Roy
08-12-10, 13:30
Ok I missed some posts sorry

I have no prob with the .40 but the reliability was getting to me. That is why i moved away. I am with several others where grabbing a 40 cal mag and carrying a 9mm would suck. the reason i havent had that problem to date is the 21 mag is way bigger than my 19 off duty gun

I think ill be going 35/23/27/ J frame

Thanks for all the help guys

DWood
08-12-10, 18:28
............. I have no prob with the .40 but the reliability was getting to me.

OK, this is the part I still don't get. I have thousands of rounds of .40 fired from my two Glocks in forty cal. Reliability is ............ well, reliable, with them. What were the circumstances which cause you to cite a reliabilty issue?

Chameleox
08-12-10, 18:55
I started carrying a G 22 and Surefire On duty
Glock 22s have had a reliability issue with weapon mounted lights attached. Best hypothesis I've heard is that the light inhibits the frame flex, which causes the slide to cycle just fast enough to occasionally miss feeding the next round.

Its a surmountable problem, with the right combination of magazine springs/followers/recoil springs/and ammo, but unchecked it can cause enough failures to feed to raise eyebrows, at least in duty guns.

Roy
08-12-10, 19:06
As stated above the issue only pops up when my X300 is mounted. My 23 has been reliable so has my 27 my 22 with no light runs great.

in duty config it wears the light. I have heard that the 11coil mag spring negates the problem. I havent changed all my mags to this yet. My 9mm guns and my 45 guns have all been flawless with the light mounted.

I have heard nothing but good about the gen 4 guns and lights.

the choking was the reason i went away from 40 cal in the first place.

DWood
08-12-10, 19:53
As stated above the issue only pops up when my X300 is mounted. My 23 has been reliable so has my 27 my 22 with no light runs great.

in duty config it wears the light. I have heard that the 11coil mag spring negates the problem. I havent changed all my mags to this yet. My 9mm guns and my 45 guns have all been flawless with the light mounted.

I have heard nothing but good about the gen 4 guns and lights.

the choking was the reason i went away from 40 cal in the first place.

OK now I get it; the 22 had the issue with lights. I don't have a 22; only a 23 and a 35 and just sold a 27. Thanks for the info.