PDA

View Full Version : NSL -- National Security Letter

chadbag
08-11-10, 01:12
Anyone hear of them or have an experience they can tell us about?

Thought this was interesting. Yet another example of out of control unconstitutional government it seems.

http://m.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/08/nsl-gag-order-lifted/

rickrock305
08-11-10, 01:18
WOW. That is appalling.

Irish
08-11-10, 02:14
WOW. That is appalling.

I think we finally agree on something. ;)

mr_smiles
08-11-10, 02:51
It happens a lot, imagine living under the "watchful" eyes of Hoover, back than it was down right criminal at times. Hell blackmail was a tool.

Still pretty screwed up, but nothing you can say about it once it happens :sarcastic:

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-11-10, 08:21
Why is it so hard to get a warrant?

Gag Order. Now let's be perfectly honest here. A gag order is useless in the modern age since you can just put your info out there ala the web. Yes, you are going to go thru the legal system- but since when did being a patriot and standing up for individual rights become cost free?

I'm all for working on "the dark side" to ferret out the BGs, but good God if all an FBI guy needs is a computer with a portable printer to access anything he wants in the name of National Security, why even have a Bill or Rights?

SeriousStudent
08-11-10, 20:12
NSL's have been around for a long time. If someone has experience with one, they likely cannot discuss it.

It's sort of like Fight Club.

I do InfoSec stuff for a living. All the law enforcement folks I have dealt with have been quite professional, and usually very knowledgeable. The USSS folks tend to be really good, and there are a lot of high technology crime task forces, with shared participation. A lot of those folks can be a great source of help for you, if you can reach out to them.

This is another good organization, if you are eligible:

http://www.htcia.org/

Frankly, I do not think it's really tough to get a warrant, but I'm not the one filling out the paperwork, either.

Like so many things in life, connections are invaluable. If you find yourself involved in something like this, a friend that can chat with folks carrying shiny badges is worth their weight in gold.

Honu
08-11-10, 22:46
and its going to happen more and get worse I bet !!

arizonaranchman
08-12-10, 06:24
The US Fed Gov't is a far greater threat to our liberties and safety than any terrorist or foreign enemy. Utterly and completely out of control is what they are.

dookie1481
08-12-10, 09:59
I know his actions weren't entirely altruistic, but nonetheless, I have the utmost respect for a person who will fight something like this even though he could have just handed over the records.

Jay