PDA

View Full Version : Are KAC Barrels made by Colt Canada?

Magic_Salad0892
08-11-10, 03:48
I heard a while ago that this was the case. Is there any way to confirm it?

I'd love to get KevinB or III in here to say one way or the other. But I'm sure other people know too...

Also looking into the Colt Canada website, do the C8 guns use titanium firing pins? If so, why? And are they even worth it?

Sry0fcr
08-11-10, 07:27
I think I remember someone from KAC at least alluding to Colt supplying barrels. If not I'm sure someone will be along shortly to correct me.

SteveL
08-11-10, 18:25
I'm pretty sure I've read on this site before that KAC makes their own barrels and lowers, etc. in house.

Magic_Salad0892
08-12-10, 01:14
Do you remember who alluded to that?

I really want a Colt Canada barrel, after reading about accuracy/durability reports of them.

BufordTJustice
08-12-10, 05:20
KAC certainly has the machining capability to manufacture their own barrels. If they do not make their own, they would only source from a top-notch manufacturer of hammer forged better-than-mil-spec barrels. This is a question for KevinB or somebody else at KAC.

I, for one, would be very surprised if they didn't make their own barrels.

bsn
08-12-10, 14:07
chambered blanks from Colt Canada

Tom Swift
08-12-10, 15:27
From CanadianGunNutz.com

LMT is MilSpec barrel - so its a good barrel, but not the best.

I think we (KAC/KMC) are the only company offering Colt Canada barrels to the public, but I may be wrong.

I do know Colt will be doing these barrels in all their production in the future from what I am told, both Military (US) and commercial sales.

TRG-42, not sure I know FN uses the 'better' steel on the M240 barrel, but not the 249. However I am not sure of the effect of the double chroming for lifespan.

The barrel blanks are just that chmabered blanks -- not finished barrels, so that makes them U.S. made then they are finished down here.

Link to the thread can be found Here (http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php?t=499967)

Belmont31R
08-12-10, 15:31
It would probably be cost prohibitive for a company like KAC to have their own hammer forging machine.

There are only a few in the US. Ruger and FN off the top of my head. I think DD does, too, but they are trying to pay for it by tons of sales. They have really gone into the barrel business in the last 2 years.

Magic_Salad0892
08-12-10, 16:24
If KAC is only offering Colt Canada barrels to the public who are they offering to the military market?

In house barrels?

That seems backwards to be offering two different sets.

Toonces
08-12-10, 16:35
If KAC is only offering Colt Canada barrels to the public who are they offering to the military market?

In house barrels?

That seems cost prohibiting to be offering two different sets.

I think you mis-read Kevin's statement. He is saying KAC is the only company offering Colt Canada barrels to the public, not that they are only used on KAC firearms sold to the public.

Magic_Salad0892
08-12-10, 19:38
Oh, looks like I made myself look stupid again.

Thanks for clarifying. :)

ETA: I actually misread it, and never went back. I hope I look a little less stupid.