PDA

View Full Version : New SIG Sauer P210s

dirksterg30
08-11-10, 09:32
Looks like the P210 is coming back, with an American-style mag catch:

http://www.sigsauer.de/index.php?id=1024&lang=en

Entropy
08-11-10, 10:28
Looks like a good move by Sig. If it's made in Germany, the quality will be excellent too. The question is, will the price be outragious.

dojpros
08-11-10, 10:54
Over/Under is 2600 USD Retail- I say over.

TOrrock
08-11-10, 11:11
I had one of the original P210's.

You would be hard pressed to find a more beautifully executed piece of human engineering and quality. A pre WWII P08 Luger would be comparable.

Having said that, the changes that they've made were needed. The standard P210's hammer will chew you up if you have average to large hands, and the mag release is a nice move.

gtmtnbiker98
08-11-10, 12:55
By the time Kimber Clowns gets ahold of it, we'll have Platinum Elite, Equinox, Rainbow Titanium, and (insert flavor) versions of it. I hope they stick with the Classic models with American mag release. This may be a good thing.

dirksterg30
08-11-10, 13:07
By the time Kimber Clowns gets ahold of it, we'll have Platinum Elite, Equinox, Rainbow Titanium, and (insert flavor) versions of it. I hope they stick with the Classic models with American mag release. This may be a good thing.

This is being made in Germany, so I don't think Cohen will get a chance to make it a beavertailed pimptastic monstrosity.

Mines13
08-11-10, 13:07

Wow, just wow. I have been lusting after a P210 since about as far back as I can remember. Would really like an ambi safety version but I won't hold my breath.

variablebinary
08-11-10, 13:18
Interesting. It's good to see SIG embracing their roots.

I have never fired a 210 but everyone I know that has raves about them

Sry0fcr
08-11-10, 13:24
I'm genuinely interested, even after having never fired one...

Seraph
08-11-10, 13:27
I get it, but I'd still much prefer the original (P 49). It's very true, what's been said about the hammer bite. They eat me up. However, there's a nice add-on beavertail that can be installed to solve that. Some might think it a sacrilege, but I've seen the finished install, done by a very nice Swiss gent named Viktor, whose shop I visited a few months back. It really is a classy treatment. I'm sure the new ones will be nice, but they're not authentic, and it's practically impossible that they could be nicer made.

Curare
08-11-10, 20:05
I would shoot and fondle that thing until the finish was gone.

mkmckinley
08-11-10, 23:06
I'v always been intrigued by the P210 academically but I've never actually shot one. However I spent some time on a fire base with a bunch of Danes that were issued P210's. They looked like well cared for antiques. The consensus among those guys was that they disliked the heel mag release and small capacity of the magazine for such a large pistol. It's a neat design but largely obsolete. They wished they had Glock 19's instead.

Mark71
08-11-10, 23:21
This is one of the few pistols that I have lusted for. Looking forward to seeing these make it back although I am sure the price will be hovering around $2k.

PRGGodfather
08-12-10, 00:36
Can't say I lust over handguns much these days -- but a P210? I was just talking about it's the only SIG I've never owned, and about the only one I really want.

Hmmmm.

JohnN
08-12-10, 01:18
Whenever talk shifts to P210's I always think of this one worked over by Novak.

http://a.imageshack.us/img707/6683/sig0467.jpg

ROCKET20_GINSU
08-12-10, 02:53
Whenever talk shifts to P210's I always think of this one worked over by Novak.

http://a.imageshack.us/img707/6683/sig0467.jpg

Very very nice! I've never gotten to handle or shoot a P210 but they sure do look purty :cool:

GU

mattjmcd
08-12-10, 23:09
"Swiss precision, made in Germany" made me wince. IMO "Swiss Precision made in Germany"= not Swiss precision.

Meh. We'll see.

brushy bill
08-12-10, 23:14
"Swiss precision, made in Germany" made me wince. IMO "Swiss Precision made in Germany"= not Swiss precision.

Exactly

Palmguy
08-12-10, 23:20

That is exactly what I thought as I read the title to this thread before opening it :)

Seraph
08-13-10, 10:22

Meh. We'll see.

I saw it at IWA. As I said before, I'd rather have one of the originals.

eternal24k
08-13-10, 10:27
if it can be done under 2k I will get one

JonInWA
08-13-10, 14:03
I'll personally be amazed if they're priced at any less than $2,500. I agree that it would certainly have the potential to be an amazing gun-I previously has a 1980's vintage 210-6. However, the crux of the issue would be: Would it be realistically better, than, say a 9mm Nighthawk Custom/Wilson/STI 9mm 1911...And how much/what would the availability be of magazines...

In my personal case, having had both a P210 and a Nighthawk, at this point I'd prefer to have Nighthawk do up a 9mm 5" to my specifications, probably oriented around the Enforcer platform.

Best, Jon

rubberneck
08-13-10, 14:43
I have a fair amount of time on the 210's and think they are overrated. Nice gun, very accurate but if you have a high hold it will bite you bad and in recoil the gun is as unpleasant as you will find in a 9MM. Having spent the afternoon a couple of years ago shooting a couple hundred rounds through the 210 and the S&W performance center 952 the hype surrounding the 210 was destroyed for me. The 952 was every bit as accurate and felt like a .22 in full recoil but I do have to admit that the 210 is much nicer to look at though.

Bob Reed
08-13-10, 18:18
Hello,

For anyone interested, here's an excellent review on a P-210 by my friend Steve Camp.
http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Sig9mm.htm

The P-210 is a very nice pistol, but it's a shame that they've added a drop safety to the design.

oalocke
08-14-10, 02:15
Many years ago in a fit of (brilliance/madness), I sold my large brace of Glocks and purchased a pair of Danish military M/49s-- the equivalent of Sig 210-1's or -2s. They served as my only handguns for about a year. I even went as far as having one of the slides milled to accept modern (for the time) trijicon night sights.

I used them for everything- competition, carry, home-defense, tactical training and general range use. The lore about the pistol is largely true. They're as beautifully-made-- tightly fitted and as accurate as one could possibly want from of a centerfire pistol. The triggers were wonderful, easily the match of custom 1911s I've owned since.

The ergonomics, for me, worked pretty well. The thumb safety can be tuned slightly (which I did) to slide more easily and the heel mag release was not as bad as one might imagine. I'd used Glocks during the days when their mags didn't fall free either, so I was already accustomed to ripping the magazine out of the gun. The one commonly reported issue I didn't encounter was hammer bite. I guess I was simply lucky, but my hand worked well for the gun.

In the end, though, they're simply impractical to use like 'real' guns. First off, try to find a holster. I eventually gave up and used a Kramer 1911 holster which worked fine so long as I didn't do anything particularly kinetic. I eventually found a magazine carrier (I think it was a Kahr or something) that held a spare sufficiently.

Speaking of magazines, cost out a decent set of spares. They're $100/ea. I like to have at least 6 on hand. I called Sig directly to inquire about getting a set of commonly-needed spare parts (recoil springs, etc). In the end, I was transferred to the resident p210 expert who (in so many words) told me I was insane and that I should probably get a p226. I kinda knew that already by this point.

In the end, I wasn't all that sad to see them go. I sold them to fund a pair of bespoke 1911s, for which magazines, holsters, springs and general knowledge were readily available. Of course, I eventually sold one of those and retired the other to the safe, and now use/carry/shoot Glocks exclusively (and shoot them as well, I might add, as I ever did my p210s).

Get one if you can afford it and have realistic expectations. It's an expensive Sunday driver and in that role it will excel.

JonInWA
08-14-10, 08:32
Oalocke, that's a very fair review-and while I dodn't use my 210-6 nearly as heavily as you did, I prety much came to the same conclusions. The butt heel magazine release didn't throw me either (although the magazines did fit pretty tightly in the receiver). Magazines were both exhorbitantly expensive, and often totally unavailable-one of the reasons mine sold so quickly (other than being in superb shape) was that it had 3 magazines, and a new Danish Army holster.

From an ergonomic standpoint, due to the intrinsic design of the slide (where the receiver rails grasp the slide instead of vice-versa), the slide grasping groove area was narrow and relatively sparse, and use of the safety lever was an acquired skill.

The gun was absolutely superb in its performance, accuracy, and triggerpull. SIG replaced my narrow blade/U-notch rear with a set of the Von Stavenhagen bar-dot sights for the 210, which improved sight acquisition speed.

However, as you mentioned, at the end of the day it was more a magnificent piece to be admired and used for the sheer pleasure of admiring a superb execution of the gun designers art and the science of manufacture to a meticulous level of perfection-but one that falls short of really being a viable, daily use combat handgun. Aftermarket support was extremely limited, and always time-consuming and expensive. Essentially the realization that it would likely be incredibly difficult to get something as mundane as a recoil spring/recoil spring assembly if I ever needed a replacement was the deal breaker for me. I too sold mine, to finance the build of my custom-spec'ced Nighthawk Custom.

And while Glocks are usually my normal carry gun, it's nice to have a quality 1911 with sufficient magazines and after-market support available...

Best, Jon