PDA

View Full Version : Sleeper for the Road

Mr. Smith
08-11-10, 14:40
This is a gun we did for one of our customer/friends that is nice and small.

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SuperiorFirearms/Lever%20Love/100_2354.jpg

Just one of the best guns for the road it does not bring any attention from the pc crowed.

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SuperiorFirearms/Lever%20Love/100_2346.jpg

We often take this over the black rifle of the day to be discreet.

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SuperiorFirearms/Lever%20Love/100_2348.jpg

The gun is 18.5 inch barrel and in 30-30 mid size lever XS sights and rail.

You can use an Aim-Point and a flash light on an offset mount.

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SuperiorFirearms/Lever%20Love/100_2355.jpg

The gun is just nice and simple.
We go thru the gun inside and out spend the time that the gun needs and in the end it is one of the things I love the most.

Joe R.
08-11-10, 15:32
Well done Joe!

Mr. Smith
08-11-10, 15:40
Well done Joe!

Thanks brother

It is a labor of love we spend about 4hr on the inside of the gun.
The guns are so inexpensive it is just the most gun for the money.

Phazuka
08-11-10, 18:02
I am highly interested in one of these. Do they have carbine size lever actions with synthetic furniture? This would be good with a 1-4x tactical scope.

What all does your package include and what model lever action is it?

Mr. Smith
08-11-10, 18:21
I am highly interested in one of these. Do they have carbine size lever actions with synthetic furniture? This would be good with a 1-4x tactical scope.

The gun is a marlin 336BL that has an 18.5inch barrel.

We do sight work, rail, internal work is on the action of the gun for proper function and general work on the gun for fit.

The guns are not bad but from the factory they are ruff and need sights you can spend as much as you would like to but the gun with sights and internal work is not much.

The marlin front sight is fragile and we replace the sight on all of the new guns.

Marlin makes a nice gun for sure but it can be better with some love.

Most guns we do get aim-points but the TR24 is super nice as well.

96 SS
08-11-10, 18:44
I am a confessed lever-lover :)

Now - Circuit Judge?

Mr. Smith
08-11-10, 18:50
I am a confessed lever-lover :)

Now - Circuit Judge?

Lever guns are so fast and so thin it is just to much not to love.

markm
08-11-10, 19:01
No BATTLECOMP?? :rolleyes:

:D

Army Chief
08-11-10, 19:26
Man, whoever commissioned that project is a stone-cold GENIUS. ;)

Looks great, Joe ... couldn't be any happier with how it came out.

AC

f.2
08-11-10, 19:27
Very nice. Leupold qd rings?

Moose-Knuckle
08-11-10, 20:33
I've always liked Marlin's lever guns. I've thought for a long time something like this would make a good SHTF gun for the average Joe who couldn't afford an EBR of some sorts and lacked fundamental training.

Not mine, but wouldn't mind a similar set up in FDE. :cool:
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a144/AKS-74/TacticalLeverAction.jpg

Phazuka
08-11-10, 20:43
I've always liked Marlin's lever guns. I've thought for a long time something like this would make a good SHTF gun for the average Joe who couldn't afford an EBR of some sorts and lacked fundamental training.

Where's the synthetic furniture from or is it truck bed liner? :ph34r:

Oh, and the model of the lever gun please? What I was thinking was a rail the full length of the barrel tapped in the front and back....troy micro folding BUIS and a PA Micro......or Leatherwood CMR 1-4x. Oh, and rail mounted offset light or laser like Templar's AK on the left side activated with the thumb. This gives me a chubby!

Moose-Knuckle
08-11-10, 21:59
Where's the synthetic furniture from or is it truck bed liner? :ph34r:

Oh, and the model of the lever gun please? What I was thinking was a rail the full length of the barrel dovetailed in the front and tapped in the back....troy micro folding BUIS and a PA Micro......or Leatherwood CMR 1-4x. Oh, and rail mounted offset light or laser like Templar's AK on the left side activated with the thumb. This gives me a chubby!

Not my rifle, it was plucked from the void of the internet so I don't know the particulars.

But there are synthetic stocks out their for Marlins.

http://www.gun-parts.com/marlinstocks/

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=423876

SeriousStudent
08-11-10, 22:18
I have given very serious thought to something just like this. I can find a Marlin 30-30 in a local pawn shop most days for a very reasonable price.

And it raises very few eyebrows, being Grandpa's deer rifle and all.

Hmmm... there is a gun show here on Saturday......

Phazuka
08-12-10, 00:14
Man, whoever commissioned that project is a stone-cold GENIUS. ;)

Looks great, Joe ... couldn't be any happier with how it came out.

AC

Yes he is! :ph34r:

Mr. Smith
08-12-10, 09:10
This is one of the other ways to go.

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SuperiorFirearms/marlin%20lever%201895-94-336/100_2365.jpg

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SuperiorFirearms/marlin%20lever%201895-94-336/100_2363.jpg

Army Chief
08-12-10, 10:20
My co-pilot is absolutely going to lose his mind when he sees the stainless gun. It is definitely one beautiful piece of artillery in .45-70.

AC

LHS
08-12-10, 10:40
Love the Thumper rifles. I played with one in .444 Marlin some years ago, and it was light, handy and plenty potent for what it was intended to do (bear defense).

Mr. Smith
08-12-10, 11:07
My co-pilot is absolutely going to lose his mind when he sees the stainless gun. It is definitely one beautiful piece of artillery in .45-70.

AC

It is a nice gun and I love it.

96 SS
08-12-10, 15:17
The Stainless one on your site - 16"?

DaBears_85
08-12-10, 15:49
Lever guns are so fast and so thin it is just to much not to love.

This is true, they are a whole hell of a lotta fun to shoot. Excellent work.

Cool page by the way. I'm digging the Krink dressed up as an mp5.

Mr. Smith
08-12-10, 17:06
The Stainless one on your site - 16"?
Yes it is Thanks

Mr. Smith
08-12-10, 17:07
This is true, they are a whole hell of a lotta fun to shoot. Excellent work.

Cool page by the way. I'm digging the Krink dressed up as an mp5.

Thank you sir.

Army Chief
08-12-10, 18:57
Went in to pick up one Marlin today, and walked out with two. Joe is just plain good people, and his passion for the platform is well-justified in view of the magic he is able to work on these rifles.

These are very special guns that can be taken to an entirely new level under the hand of a master. If by chance you find the sleeper gun concept appealing, there is really no need to look any further.

AC

HK51Fan
08-12-10, 23:24

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SuperiorFirearms/marlin%20lever%201895-94-336/100_2365.jpg

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SuperiorFirearms/marlin%20lever%201895-94-336/100_2363.jpg

Nice boat or plane rifle. I could see someone using that in AK.

Mr. Smith
08-13-10, 07:43
Went in to pick up one Marlin today, and walked out with two. Joe is just plain good people, and his passion for the platform is well-justified in view of the magic he is able to work on these rifles.

These are very special guns that can be taken to an entirely new level under the hand of a master. If by chance you find the sleeper gun concept appealing, there is really no need to look any further.

AC

Thank you sir you a truly a gentleman and I appreciate the kind words.

Mikey
08-13-10, 08:04
Very nice. I am continually impressed by your work.

I keep a well used Winchester 94 that I picked up for $100 behind the backseat of my truck. It's thin, easy to keep hidden, and doesn't have an AR/AK stigma if I were to pull it out in public. It's my get home, SHTF on the road rifle.

Mike

Mr. Smith
08-13-10, 08:11
Very nice. I am continually impressed by your work.

I keep a well used Winchester 94 that I picked up for $100 behind the backseat of my truck. It's thin, easy to keep hidden, and doesn't have an AR/AK stigma if I were to pull it out in public. It's my get home, SHTF on the road rifle.

Mike

Thanks

Mikey
08-13-10, 08:30

Just my opinion. But the synthetic furniture kind of defeats the purpose of the sleeper/PC rifle. People see wood and think, grandpa's /dads shotgun. Wood makes things look less like a rolling death machine and more like Mr. sporting goods. Combine that with a non "tactical" lever gun and you have a rifle that is very capable without drawing too much attention.

Mr. Smith
08-13-10, 08:44
Just my opinion. But the synthetic furniture kind of defeats the purpose of the sleeper/PC rifle. People see wood and think, grandpa's /dads shotgun. Wood makes things look less like a rolling death machine and more like Mr. sporting goods. Combine that with a non "tactical" lever gun and you have a rifle that is very capable without drawing too much attention.

I am with you on that.

Army Chief
08-13-10, 13:26

I can field at least some of this.

The base gun in this case is going to be a Marlin; either an 1895 Big Bore or a 336 variant, typically in one of the Trapper/Guide or new BL variants. While .45-70 is a shop favorite, .30-30 is also an excellent choice for those seeking a versatile intermediate chambering. Either will work just fine, but the reason base gun model choice is important is that it will prevent more costly shop work on such things as cutting a barrel, extending a magazine, or reprofiling a lever loop.

Joe is totally up front -- but not terribly specific -- about what is done to the guns, and that is probably exactly as it should be. He'll tell you that your gun is going to get a new/proper rail, and a corrected reinstallation. He'll tell you that you're going to get vastly-improved steel sights. He'll tell you that he is going to remove every screw and pin on the gun and spend about four hours inside of the receiver. He'll tell you that he trues out the factory impefections, polishes up the trigger and works on smoothing out all of the internals in the action. He'll tell you that the gun will be cut or reshaped as necessary to accomodate your anthopological requirements. He'll tell you what to look for in an optic, a mount, a sling and just about everything else related to the levermatic Marlin.

He'll tell you all of these things, and more, and he'll even let you watch for a while in the shop if you're a stand-up dude. He'll let you listen to some Bluegrass, talk about guns both good and bad, tell you a few stories (some of which may actually be true =]), apply liberal doses of his wry and enjoyable sense of humor, and ... if you just happen to have a monster headache, he might even let you dip into his private stash of Goodys.

When all is said and done, he'll tell you that you owe him two or three bills for applying a man-size (XXXL) dose of "lever love" to your rifle, and upon picking up the gun and cycling the bolt, you will instantly know that every penny found its way into the gun somewhere.

How exactly does he do it? I'm not entirely sure ... but I am quite content to just enjoy the mystery. One need not understand the mechanics of every trick to enjoy the magic.

AC

Mr. Smith
08-13-10, 13:32
I can field at least some of this.

The base gun in this case is going to be a Marlin; either an 1895 Big Bore or a 336 variant, typically in one of the Trapper/Guide or new BL variants. While .45-70 is a shop favorite, .30-30 is also an excellent choice for those seeking a versatile intermediate chambering. Either will work just fine, but the reason base gun model choice is important is that it will prevent more costly shop work on such things as cutting a barrel, extending a magazine, or reprofiling a lever loop.

Joe is totally up front -- but not terribly specific -- about what is done to the guns, and that is probably exactly as it should be. He'll tell you that your gun is going to get a new/proper rail, and a corrected reinstallation. He'll tell you that you're going to get vastly-improved steel sights. He'll tell you that he is going to remove every screw and pin on the gun and spend about four hours inside of the receiver. He'll tell you that he trues out the factory impefections, polishes up the trigger and works on smoothing out all of the internals in the action. He'll tell you that the gun will be cut or reshaped as necessary to accomodate your anthopological requirements. He'll tell you what to look for in an optic, a mount, a sling and just about everything else related to the levermatic Marlin.

He'll tell you all of these things, and more, and he'll even let you watch for a while in the shop if you're a stand-up dude. He'll let you listen to some Bluegrass, talk about guns both good and bad, tell you a few stories (some of which may actually be true =]), apply liberal doses of his wry and enjoyable sense of humor, and ... if you just happen to have a monster headache, he might even let you dip into his private stash of Goodys.

When all is said and done, he'll tell you that you owe him two or three bills for applying a man-size (XXXL) dose of "lever love" to your rifle, and upon picking up the gun and cycling the bolt, you will instantly know that every penny found its way into the gun somewhere.

How exactly does he do it? I'm not entirely sure ... but I am quite content to just enjoy the mystery. One need not understand the mechanics of every trick to enjoy the magic.

AC

You are a word smith I am glad you like it brother.
People like you are what it is all about.

Caeser25
08-14-10, 11:24

I been looking for that pic for awhile now. I want one in OD with a tr24

bvmbandit
08-18-10, 07:54
I found a 336 at the local gun shop for $325. The wood stock has been shortened about an inch. My question is should I purchase this one or simply find a bl model elsewhere. Would like to use this for a truckgun / hog rifle...:D Also would like to know what rail manufactures there are that would match up to the older model 336. XS Systems?

Mr. Smith
08-18-10, 08:00
I found a 336 at the local gun shop for $325. The wood stock has been shortened about an inch. My question is should I purchase this one or simply find a bl model elsewhere. Would like to use this for a truckgun / hog rifle...:D Also would like to know what rail manufactures there are that would match up to the older model 336. XS Systems?

XS is going to be the rail. The gun is ? Just be sure that you don't get a gun you can buy at a big box store for $299.00 at X-MAS.

bvmbandit
08-18-10, 12:57
The gun is a Marlin 336 chambered in a 35. It has a 20 inch barrel. I would like to mount an xs systems rail on it if I purchase the rifle. The fella is asking 300 for the it. I may replace the hacked off stock as well.

Mr. Smith
08-18-10, 13:36
The gun is a Marlin 336 chambered in a 35. It has a 20 inch barrel. I would like to mount an xs systems rail on it if I purchase the rifle. The fella is asking 300 for the it. I may replace the hacked off stock as well.

There are at the least 6 models of 336 made today and more in the past.

Powder_Burn
08-18-10, 16:36
Nice rifle - what does this package cost? PM me if that is more comfortable....thanks.

Army Chief
08-18-10, 18:13
Figure your base rifle cost, plus ....

$40 or so for a rail.
$90 for a set of premium sights.
$200+ for bench time (internal work, component mounting, etc.), depending upon what actually has to be done.

... and whatever you wish to spend on a sling, optic and rings. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that the Leupold (FX-II 2.5x28mm IER Scout) is a real bargain at $300.

AC

Mr. Smith
08-19-10, 08:15
Figure your base rifle cost, plus ....

$40 or so for a rail.
$90 for a set of premium sights.
$200+ for bench time (internal work, component mounting, etc.), depending upon what actually has to be done.

... and whatever you wish to spend on a sling, optic and rings. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that the Leupold (FX-II 2.5x28mm IER Scout) is a real bargain at $300.

AC

Thanks brother

Phazuka
08-19-10, 11:08
I'm thinking of doing a big loop in synthetic furniture w/ rail, leatherwood CMR with a PERP mount, VLTOR offset light mount and surefire. The tactical lever....if only they did conversions to 7.62x39....

Icculus
08-19-10, 13:50
As someone who watched too many westerns as a kid I've always wanted a lever gun and this is just awesome. Enjoy it AC

THCDDM4
08-19-10, 15:39
That looks superb; never owned a lever gun, but I desperatly wnat one, just not at the top of the list of priorities right at the moment.

Thats the first stainless rifle I have seen that I like; it is a work of art!

DacoRoman
08-19-10, 16:21
I greatly enjoyed reading this thread. I have to admit I was essentially clueless regarding this topic. Now I am very fascinated about one of these Sleeper rifles.

How precise are these rifles?

And this may be a question for another thread, but how available/ubiquitous is the .45-70 round? Is it hard recoiling? I seem to remember that its ballistics are pretty impressive..I guess the bottom line question isn't it overkill for a "on the road" gun, with ammo that may be much harder to find than say .30-30? Any other caliber options that would be practical?

Normally I don't like stainless either, but that stainless rifle does look phenomenal, at the risk of the fact that it is more "noticeable".

I guess this wouldn't be needed at all really, but what do you guys think about coating one of these in a ceramic type coating in a color such as Coyote Tan or Desert Sage..it would still look pretty benign, yet it would be more protective and stealthier than either blued or stainless.

Icculus
08-19-10, 16:36
And this may be a question for another thread, but how available/ubiquitous is the .45-70 round? Is it hard recoiling?

Recoil is a tough subject because while you can crunch the numbers everyone's sensitivity is different. Lots of data out their but maybe these links get you started

http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/index.php/cName/rifle-ammo-4570-govt

Mr. Smith
08-19-10, 16:43
That looks superb; never owned a lever gun, but I desperatly wnat one, just not at the top of the list of priorities right at the moment.

Thats the first stainless rifle I have seen that I like; it is a work of art!

Thank you we love the gun.

Mr. Smith
08-19-10, 16:49
I greatly enjoyed reading this thread. I have to admit I was essentially clueless regarding this topic. Now I am very fascinated about one of these Sleeper rifles.

How precise are these rifles?

And this may be a question for another thread, but how available/ubiquitous is the .45-70 round? Is it hard recoiling? I seem to remember that its ballistics are pretty impressive..I guess the bottom line question isn't it overkill for a "on the road" gun, with ammo that may be much harder to find than say .30-30? Any other caliber options that would be practical?

Normally I don't like stainless either, but that stainless rifle does look phenomenal, at the risk of the fact that it is more "noticeable".

I guess this wouldn't be needed at all really, but what do you guys think about coating one of these in a ceramic type coating in a color such as Coyote Tan or Desert Sage..it would still look pretty benign, yet it would be more protective and stealthier than either blued or stainless.

The 1895 marlin in 45-70 is capable of 2 moa with optics you can do better.

500GR solids will stop vehicles so the road is a good place for the gun 300GR bullets will stop two legged predators and not be so hard on the shooter.

kbi
08-19-10, 22:09
I havent given a tought to owning a lever gun in years but after seeing these outstanding example's I may have to go browsing around the local gun shop's and gunbroker.com .

Definetly discreet and like you all siad people wouldnt really give a 2nd thought Vs a AK or Ar.

Phazuka
08-20-10, 01:59

Synthetic furniture is lighter than wood stocks and more weather resistant, imho. :ph34r:

Army Chief
08-20-10, 06:02
Not entirely sure that I would agree with that assessment, and from what I've seen, the quality of the wood stocks (especially the new laminates) far eclipses any of the aftermarket synthetics. Keep in mind also that these are already very short and light rifles firing some medium-to-heavy recoiling cartridges, and a bit of extra weight is not at all a liability in this situation.

To each his own, of course, but I am quite content with the factory woods, and they do go a long way toward giving the rifles a much lower profile than would otherwise be the case. If I'm going to opt for a more "tactical" lever gun configuration in black with all of the bells and whistles, then at some point, I've got to wonder if I wouldn't just be better off just taking an AR. The whole point of a sleeper gun is that it doesn't attract anything approaching the same level of attention as an EBG (Evil Black Gun), so it can be taken places where you could not, or would not, want to take an AR.

Admittedly, when I was a much younger man, I probably would have seen a great deal of appeal in a more overtly tactical approach to configuring a lever gun, but in my (relatively) old age, I see it more as a case where you would be trading away some of the advantages of the platform to gain ... well, not a whole lot. A stock lever gun has an innocuous elegance to it that tends to belie the fact that it is usually chambered for a startlingly capably round, and can be brought into action with some very serious speed ... hence the term "sleeper."

AC

Mr. Smith
08-20-10, 08:32
The amount of fire power the lever guns have is just hard to beat. 30-30 is just about perfect for two legged predators in the wild.
The guns are so short and fast the mean weight on an 18inch 30-30 is just hard to believe.With the advent of lever evolution ammo from hornady you can make 250yd shots with the little gun and carry them all day if need be.
The wood stock makes the rifle look like it is just an old gun we can them cowboy killers in the shop.

Truth is we probably don't treat anything we have as rough as the lever guns have proven to take.
The track record on the lever guns is long and powerful it is one of the reasons it still is here today.
We have to be reminded from time to time the lever gun helped build this country.
It was the most advanced platform of its day a day when men lived largely in a world with no laws to protect them and stores to feed them.
We are a county of self reliant people and we use the lessons from the past to protect the future.

The AR was adopted 40 or so years ago the AK 60 or so years ago and they are still the kings today.
I have spent most of my adult life on a 100yr old handgun and I still shoot and carry one today.

Just my 2 cents

Phazuka
08-20-10, 17:23
The amount of fire power the lever guns have is just hard to beat. 30-30 is just about perfect for two legged predators in the wild.
The guns are so short and fast the mean weight on an 18inch 30-30 is just hard to believe.With the advent of lever evolution ammo from hornady you can make 250yd shots with the little gun and carry them all day if need be.
The wood stock makes the rifle look like it is just an old gun we can them cowboy killers in the shop.

Truth is we probably don't treat anything we have as rough as the lever guns have proven to take.
The track record on the lever guns is long and powerful it is one of the reasons it still is here today.
We have to be reminded from time to time the lever gun helped build this country.
It was the most advanced platform of its day a day when men lived largely in a world with no laws to protect them and stores to feed them.
We are a county of self reliant people and we use the lessons from the past to protect the future.

The AR was adopted 40 or so years ago the AK 60 or so years ago and they are still the kings today.
I have spent most of my adult life on a 100yr old handgun and I still shoot and carry one today.

Just my 2 cents

Can you do a conversion to 7.62x39? :moil:

Mikey
08-20-10, 19:04
You cant run 7.62x39 in the mag tube.

Bad stuff happens.

Moose-Knuckle
08-20-10, 20:51
You cant run 7.62x39 in the mag tube.

Bad stuff happens.

Yeap bullet tips sliding into primers is bad juju for sure.

David Thomas
08-20-10, 21:04

Just my 2 cents

Everytime you post, I decide I like you more and more.

Marlins and 1911's, you have to be one of the good guys.

I will try to get a pic up of my little 1894 in 357 mag with Aimpoint T-1 posted soon.

Mr. Smith
08-21-10, 08:48
Everytime you post, I decide I like you more and more.

Marlins and 1911's, you have to be one of the good guys.

I will try to get a pic up of my little 1894 in 357 mag with Aimpoint T-1 posted soon.

Thank you for the kind words.

David Thomas
08-21-10, 14:31
Here is m little 357 magnum:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/DavidThomas/002-9.jpg

Marlins are great little rifles, but can really benefit from an action and trigger job. Now I guess I just need to decide which of my Marlins to send first...

Mr. Smith
08-21-10, 16:41

Marlins are great little rifles, but can really benefit from an action and trigger job. Now I guess I just need to decide which of my Marlins to send first...

Just send them all that is the way we like it.

Caeser25
08-23-10, 07:43
most of us here probably buy online and in bulk but be sure to look at the price difference between .30-30 and .30-35

bvmbandit
08-23-10, 14:02
I like that stock...

DacoRoman
08-23-10, 15:23
Thanks for the replies.

So is there a consensus on best caliber to have for "the Road"? .30-30? Or maybe a pistol caliber like a .44 mag, to go along with a companion revolver?

I'll tell you what if I get a lever gun I may just try some Cowboy Action Sports :D

David Thomas
08-23-10, 15:40
Thanks for the replies.

So is there a consensus on best caliber to have for "the Road"? .30-30? Or maybe a pistol caliber like a .44 mag, to go along with a companion revolver?

I'll tell you what if I get a lever gun I may just try some Cowboy Action Sports :D

38 special will shoot in the 1894 and fuel my S&W 642 (or if you have a S&W 357 magnum J-Frame you could use 357).

Army Chief
08-23-10, 21:26
I'm not as immediately familiar with how the magnum handgun cartridges perform in this platform, but I do think the .30-30 is a well-balanced intermediate rifle chambering that is well-suited for 98% of imaginable applications.

That's not to say that .45-70 won't extend this out to the 100th percentile -- at least, on this Continent -- but it does exact a higher price, both in terms of ammunition cost and shooter comfort. Sure, it's excessive ... but in a beautiful and irresistable way. =]

AC

David Thomas
08-23-10, 22:05
I'm not as immediately familiar with how the magnum handgun cartridges perform in this platform, but I do think the .30-30 is a well-balanced intermediate rifle chambering that is well-suited for 98% of imaginable applications.

That's not to say that .45-70 won't extend this out to the 100th percentile -- at least, on this Continent -- but it does exact a higher price, both in terms of ammunition cost and shooter comfort. Sure, it's excessive ... but in a beautiful and irresistable way. =]

AC

Out of the Marlin, handgun cartridges will get a 200 or so fps boost depending on the powder and barrel length, of course.

I have been shooting 45 Colt in a Marlin 1894 for almost a decade now. The 45 Colt (handloaded or buffalo bore ammo) in the Marlin carbine can crowd factory 45-70 loads (not the high performance 45-70 loads). In the 1894, the handgun rounds will get your attention if the right load is selected.

I love the 45-70, it just has never loved me back. I still have one.
I have more 30-30's than any other centerfire caliber (45 acp is a close second). It is a classic for good reason.

The pistol caliber's are just more fun for me.

DacoRoman
08-23-10, 22:07
Sure, it's excessive ... but in a beautiful and irresistable way. =]

AC

That's a brilliant catch phrase, I will be applying it to other things as well. :D

ROCKET20_GINSU
08-24-10, 11:22

Wow, that is beautiful :cool::cool: When I get around to owning my first lever gun, I suspect it will look remarkably similar to that example. Fortunately I don't live in an anti gun area now but I will eventually be moving back to those parts and I suspect that a rifle like that might be just the ticket.

Keep up the great work!
GU

Mr. Smith
08-26-10, 10:19
Wow, that is beautiful :cool::cool: When I get around to owning my first lever gun, I suspect it will look remarkably similar to that example. Fortunately I don't live in an anti gun area now but I will eventually be moving back to those parts and I suspect that a rifle like that might be just the ticket.

Keep up the great work!
GU

Thanks

HK51Fan
08-26-10, 21:32
nice lever gun, I'm on the fence about the whole tactical rail thing. Although I do remember seeing some old pics of my Dad's showing them clamping flashlights to the barrels of their lever actions when they trapped in high school.

bvmbandit
09-08-10, 09:59
My model 336 is in need of a wooden stock as the original has been cut. Anyone out there have one that's been removed? I'd like to put a wooden one back on the rifle...My stock is the pistol grip version. Are they interchangeable with the straight stock?

Thanks,
Scott

TOrrock
09-08-10, 10:42
For you guys asking for 7.62x39mm.............

Hornaday's LEVERevolution (http://www.hornady.com/store/30-30-Win-160-gr-FTX-LEVERevolution/) rounds are greatly improving the ballistics of the older tube fed cartridges....

NMBigfoot02
09-08-10, 12:06

Hornaday's LEVERevolution (http://www.hornady.com/store/30-30-Win-160-gr-FTX-LEVERevolution/) rounds are greatly improving the ballistics of the older tube fed cartridges....

This.

It's amazing how much that small rubber tip improves a .30-30 trajectory.

David Thomas
09-08-10, 12:21

For reloaders/handloaders: Be aware that the brass used in the Hornady LEVERevolution line of ammo is shorter than standard brass for some calibers. I am not sure about 30-30, but I know the 45-70 is shorter.

TOrrock
09-08-10, 12:46
A while back Dave Pennington, NCPatrolAR and I were talking about this very subject.....Politically Correct defensive long guns that you can travel with.

I would seriously consider picking up a Marlin 1894 in .357 mag as a companion piece to my S&W M28.

For most uses east of the Mississippi, a .30/30 would probably be the best balance for most people. You can walk into pretty much any big box store and they'll have .30/30 on the shelf, and it will definitely do the job on both medium size game (including black bears) and two legged predators.

kwelz
09-08-10, 22:26
I am thinking about having you build one of these in a pistol caliber. That way I can usebit for hunting if I ever want to over here.

IrishDevil
09-09-10, 00:47
I'll openly admit that I'm a big fan of lever actions. I consider it THE American sporting rifle. I use them for hunting, I don't have any bolt guns anymore. I've recently parted with a few of them, cutting the fat, and focusing on more useful models/configurations. I've been using them as a truck gun, as long as I could legally own one/drive. I consider them to be the "PC" assault rifle.

I currently use a Marlin 336W 20" 30-30, with XS Ghost rings/rail and an Aimpoint C3, as my truck/travel gun. With Hornady Leverevolution ammo, I can make easy center mass hits at 250 yards. The 30-30 is the assault rifle cartridge for leverguns. With the correct loads it can take on any game up to and including elk.

Alot of people talk about the "poor" capacity, but 6 rounds is sufficient for the role they fill. Especially if you use the "shoot one, load one" technique. Of course you have the pistol calibers, 357 and 44 especially, that provide good capacity and are solid 150 yard carbines with proper loads. Hornady is producing 357 and 44 Leverevolution loads, and they could maybe go 200.

Some of my preferences are:
Big loop levers(not excessively) with a lever wrap
Butt Cuff for spare ammo
XS Ghost Ring sights/ Scout rail

I'm currently working on a few projects and I'll be sure to get some pics up when they're completed. I'll probably be contacting Superior for a few of them.

Mr. Smith
09-09-10, 07:51
I'll openly admit that I'm a big fan of lever actions. I consider it THE American sporting rifle. I use them for hunting, I don't have any bolt guns anymore. I've recently parted with a few of them, cutting the fat, and focusing on more useful models/configurations. I've been using them as a truck gun, as long as I could legally own one/drive. I consider them to be the "PC" assault rifle.

I currently use a Marlin 336W 20" 30-30, with XS Ghost rings/rail and an Aimpoint C3, as my truck/travel gun. With Hornady Leverevolution ammo, I can make easy center mass hits at 250 yards. The 30-30 is the assault rifle cartridge for leverguns. With the correct loads it can take on any game up to and including elk.

Alot of people talk about the "poor" capacity, but 6 rounds is sufficient for the role they fill. Especially if you use the "shoot one, load one" technique. Of course you have the pistol calibers, 357 and 44 especially, that provide good capacity and are solid 150 yard carbines with proper loads. Hornady is producing 357 and 44 Leverevolution loads, and they could maybe go 200.

Some of my preferences are:
Big loop levers(not excessively) with a lever wrap
Butt Cuff for spare ammo
XS Ghost Ring sights/ Scout rail

I'm currently working on a few projects and I'll be sure to get some pics up when they're completed. I'll probably be contacting Superior for a few of them.

We would love to help.

There is a special project in the works right now on my bench that will get your attention.

m1a_scoutguy
09-09-10, 12:14

WOW,,,those rifles are Unbelievable,, !!! Take about Lo-Pro rifle,,,they just look so Innocent sitting there !!!;) Dang,,,,looks like another Project for the future !!! :) :D To each his own,,but the Laminate Stocks are kick ass in my eyes. :)

Spooky130
09-10-10, 12:49
So... I've been throwing around the idea of building a lever action for hard-use/bear protection. This means .45-70. Here's what I've got in mind:

Marlin 1895 - either the GBL or SBL for the "extended" mag and big loop from the factory. Debating which finish to get that will make the best undercoat for a very durable finish - right now leaning towards GBL that gets bead blasted and then Cerakoted/Ion Bonded/NP3'd...

From there, looking at sights - likely the Wild West gun rear sight that is a ghost ring with "wings" coupled with the Brockman Rifles winged front sight. Still pondering the need/usefulness of a tritium insert.

At that point I'm starting to think about trigger mods - maybe a WWG trigger or possibly someone working their magic on it to make it better. Then an aluminum magazine follower. Upgrade to the WWG "bear-proof" ejector.

Another thing I would like to do is get the WWG synthetic stock blanks and mate them to the rifle - again I'm looking for pure durability with a touch of looks. I am also trying to find a way to mount QD swivels on the stock and forearm. I think the stock would be easy enough but the forearm will present some challenges. Top off the stock set with some form of grip surface texture/finish. Maybe some form of bed-liner that gets painted over.

I would also like to add a rail. The goal of adding the rail would be to put a non-magnified optic - likely a T-1/H-1 - and a small flashlight. These two would cover the full spectrum - rapid acquisition and engagement during the day and at night.

Bottom line - a functional and extremely durable and reliable rifle...

Spooky

NMBigfoot02
09-10-10, 13:55
So... I've been throwing around the idea of building a lever action for hard-use/bear protection. This means .45-70. Here's what I've got in mind:

Marlin 1895 - either the GBL or SBL for the "extended" mag and big loop from the factory. Debating which finish to get that will make the best undercoat for a very durable finish - right now leaning towards GBL that gets bead blasted and then Cerakoted/Ion Bonded/NP3'd...

From there, looking at sights - likely the Wild West gun rear sight that is a ghost ring with "wings" coupled with the Brockman Rifles winged front sight. Still pondering the need/usefulness of a tritium insert.

At that point I'm starting to think about trigger mods - maybe a WWG trigger or possibly someone working their magic on it to make it better. Then an aluminum magazine follower. Upgrade to the WWG "bear-proof" ejector.

Another thing I would like to do is get the WWG synthetic stock blanks and mate them to the rifle - again I'm looking for pure durability with a touch of looks. I am also trying to find a way to mount QD swivels on the stock and forearm. I think the stock would be easy enough but the forearm will present some challenges. Top off the stock set with some form of grip surface texture/finish. Maybe some form of bed-liner that gets painted over.

I would also like to add a rail. The goal of adding the rail would be to put a non-magnified optic - likely a T-1/H-1 - and a small flashlight. These two would cover the full spectrum - rapid acquisition and engagement during the day and at night.

Bottom line - a functional and extremely durable and reliable rifle...

Spooky

Sounds like a decent plan. The WWG trigger on my 336 greatly improved the break and eliminated the "flop" that Marlins are known for. Highly recommended.

You may want to take a look at XS Sights as well for your sighting needs. I know they make a front/rear combo that comes with a rail, but I have not used it so I can't comment on its quality. I do know they offer two different types of rails: a Scout type and a full length receiver model.

Mr. Smith
09-10-10, 14:42
Just to go the extra mile we silver solder the sights on if you are going to refinish the gun.
We built one 1895 for a customer that took it to Africa that is one hard place.

Icculus
09-16-10, 13:18
but I do think the .30-30 is a well-balanced intermediate rifle chambering that is well-suited for 98% of imaginable applications.

I see where there is a Davidson's exclusive Marlin 336 in .30-30 with a 16 1/2 in. barrel. Does going that short with the barrel for maneuverability sake cripple the caliber's effectiveness?

NMBigfoot02
09-16-10, 14:51
I see where there is a Davidson's exclusive Marlin 336 in .30-30 with a 16 1/2 in. barrel. Does going that short with the barrel for maneuverability sake cripple the caliber's effectiveness?

I'm no terminal ballistician by any stretch of the imagination, nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn last night, but my guess is that the velocity difference and the effect on the caliber's effectiveness will be minimal. However, it will reduce the effective range by some degree. How much is debatable.

Personally, I would be perfectly happy with a 16.5" .30-30. It would be roughly analogous to the AK in 7.62x39.

ryan
09-16-10, 16:43

Stoke it with Leverevolution ammo and it may still have more pop than 7.62x39

Mr. Smith
09-16-10, 16:48
We have been cutting the 30-30 marlins down for years and I have seen some 180lb dear taken with one shot.
Shot placement is the true key to the door.

ryan
09-16-10, 16:51
We have been cutting the 30-30 marlins down for years and I have seen some 180lb dear taken with one shot.

I have a .35 Rem that is begging to be cut to 16'', have you cut one of those? How did it perform?

Mr. Smith
09-16-10, 17:22
They have more punch as you know and it is the same when you cut them.

ryan
09-16-10, 17:24
They have more punch as you know and it is the same when you cut them.

Awesome, can you PM me a price please, Thank you sir.

bvmbandit
09-18-10, 12:04
The more I find out about the 35 Remington, the more I like it. I extended the stock my 1977 model and ordered a rail for it. From what I understand the 35 works great on hogs and deer.

Scott

NMBigfoot02
09-18-10, 12:11
The more I find out about the 35 Remington, the more I like it. I extended the stock my 1977 model and ordered a rail for it. From what I understand the 35 works great on hogs and deer.

Scott

The biggest drawback I find for the .35 rem is that it can be difficult to find locally in some areas, whereas you can walk into just about any Mom & Pop and find .30-30.

ryan
09-18-10, 12:45

LonghunterCO
09-19-10, 21:22
Great looking rifles there! I really like it. I picked up a 336 (CS) for a great price. What are your scope recomendtions for these?

bvmbandit
09-23-10, 07:25
Great looking rifles there! I really like it. I picked up a 336 (CS) for a great price. What are your scope recommendations for these?

Depends on what your intended purpose for the rifle will be...? I have a Simmons 3x9x40 on my 336 (1977 model) for the following reasons:

Pros
1 It's what I had at the time.
2 It will mount low to the top of the receiver for a smaller footprint.
3 It's a high value scope, so it's OK to scratch and ding it
4 Target acquisition is easier starting at 3 power
5 It makes very good use of low-light conditions
6 Good enough IMO for hunting hogs in the swamp.
7 The weapon fits in my carry case, while in the truck, with this particular (smaller) scope mounted.

Cons
1 Weight (gun + scope)
2 Eye relief is not the best compared to others (mediocre) On this rifle a scope with longer eye relief would be much better IMHO.

The weight (gun + scope) may be considered a pro. I personally have found that I can keep cross hairs on the target with an accelerated heart beat more consistently holding this weapon (standing unsupported). In the event I needed it it for two legged critters, letting it rest on the hood of a vehicle may be ideal.

Hope this helps...
Scott

Mr. Smith
09-23-10, 08:11
Great looking rifles there! I really like it. I picked up a 336 (CS) for a great price. What are your scope recomendtions for these?

We just got this gun finished yesterday and we are trying a new scope out on it.
When we sell the gun either the scope will go on my gun or we will T&E it to the customer for a short time if we know they will shoot the heck out of it.

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SuperiorFirearms/Lever%20Love/100_2631.jpg

The scope is a 1.5 to 4 new to the market it should be nice butt we will see.

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SuperiorFirearms/Lever%20Love/100_2624.jpg

Marlin 1895s in 45-70 can shake the guts out of scopes.
We even go as far as to silver solder the sights on this gun it just makes a good idea more permanent.

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SuperiorFirearms/Lever%20Love/100_2623.jpg

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SuperiorFirearms/Lever%20Love/100_2622.jpg

NMBigfoot02
09-23-10, 08:46
Depends on what your intended purpose for the rifle will be...? I have a Simmons 3x9x40 on my 336 (1977 model) for the following reasons:

Pros
1 It's what I had at the time.
2 It's will mount low to the top of the receiver for a smaller footprint.
3 It's a high value scope, so it's OK to scratch and ding it
4 Target acquisition is easier starting at 3 power
5 It makes very good use of low-light conditions
6 Good enough IMO for hunting hogs in the swamp.
7 The weapon fits in my carry case, while in the truck, with this particular (smaller) scope mounted.

Cons
1 Weight (gun + scope)
2 Eye relief is not the best compared to others (mediocre) On this rifle a scope with longer eye relief would be much better IMHO.

The weight (gun + scope) may be considered a pro. I personally have found that I can keep cross hairs on the target with an accelerated heart beat more consistently holding this weapon (standing unsupported). In the event I needed it it for two legged critters, letting it rest on the hood of a vehicle may be ideal.

Hope this helps...
Scott

Wow. I had the exact same setup for years, and I agree with you on every point. Kinda creepy...

I replaced my Simmons a couple years ago with another 3-9x40 Bushnell when the Simmons' turrets lost their positive adjustment. I've been very happy with it thus far.

sjc3081
09-23-10, 12:58

At my hunting camp we have killed 270 lb. live weight whitetail in Northern NY with 30-30 easily.

Pp

Canonshooter
09-23-10, 19:13
Those are some truly gorgeous lever action rifles! The Marlin in 45-70 is a beast.

I once owned a Ruger #3 in 45-70 - such a light rifle, such a punishing round!

big 54r
09-25-10, 00:46
A man can never go wrong with a lever gun...
especially when traveling.

I have been taking my sks when traveling with my family but stopped bcuz of length (59/66).

these sweet leverguns would be a better solution.

Army Chief
09-25-10, 07:54
Not to mention that an SKS will always tend to attract attention as some manner of "military style" arm.

Something about a lever gun is so inherently American, and so ingrained in our cultural psyche as a cowboy/deer gun that it barely registers as a threat to most. They are ideal ride-along rifles, and as we've seen in this thread, the confiuguration possibilities are just about endless.

AC

Mr. Smith
09-25-10, 13:41
Just got this finished.

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SuperiorFirearms/Lever%20Love/100_2646.jpg

bvmbandit
09-25-10, 14:35
Here is the rifle I made reference to earlier in the thread. The only thing missing is a cowboy ring on this 1977 model 336.

http://atlanta-skycam.smugmug.com/photos/1021652890_aQCuy-M.jpg

Enjoy,
Scott

Moose-Knuckle
09-27-10, 01:30
Nicccccce, what light mount is the G2 in?

Just got this finished.

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SuperiorFirearms/Lever%20Love/100_2646.jpg

Army Chief
09-27-10, 05:39
IIRC, he's using a VLTOR SMQ-OCG. Very cool mount.

http://vltor.com/scount-mount-ocg.htm

AC

bigghoss
09-27-10, 18:27
a few years ago a friend of mine bought a marlin 336 at walmart back when they were $265 a few years later his first son was born so he asked me if I wanted to buy it for $200 (at this point they were ~$300 new). I said sure and we did the deal and then he told me that the week before he had just finished off the only box of shells he'd got for it. so for $200 I got a nearly new 336 which I had been drooling over for years with only 20 rounds through it and my friend only lost $65

I'd really like to get a 16" .44 mag and an 1895 sbl or gbl and something in .22mag

Black Jeep
09-27-10, 19:09
Oooh boy...I love a lever gun. My particular fancy is my Winchester Model 94 in .30-30 carbine, but I know why you Marlin boys like the 336 too. My Winchester was one of my first rifles and I've owned it longer than any of my guns. I wouldn't sell that rifle for the world. Even though I can be pretty sentimental about my lever gun, I also know it better than any gun I have ever owned.

Nice work on the guns, Mr. Smith. Do you clean up older lever guns that are starting to show their age?

DacoRoman
09-27-10, 20:39
are the sights co-witnessed when using a RDS?

bigghoss
09-29-10, 00:58
after reading this thread is seems to me we could use a lever action pic thread