PDA

View Full Version : Vietnam chopper crew coming home after 39 years

montanadave
08-11-10, 17:40
U.S. Army First Lieutenant Paul G. Magers of Billings, MT, and his gunner, Chief Warrant Officer Donald L. Wann of Shawnee, OK, are finally coming home after being shot down during a rescue of an Army Ranger team in Quang Tri province in 1971.

http://billingsgazette.com/news/local/article_53beeb96-a585-11df-9c96-001cc4c03286.html

http://www.defense.gov/releases/release.aspx?releaseid=13789

May they rest in peace.

randolph
08-11-10, 18:00
and may their surviving loved ones have a peaceful closure...

God Bless them.

m4fun
08-11-10, 18:05
Ditto Randolph. Too many still have not made it back and worse, have been forgotten.

It is always a somber experience, but if you ever make it to DC you must check out the wall, Viet Nam memorial.

ForTehNguyen
08-11-10, 20:13
thank you for your service, Magers and Wann

SeriousStudent
08-11-10, 20:16
Prayers sent for the fallen heroes. May their families find peace, with their loved ones resting on free soil at last.

SteyrAUG
08-11-10, 20:25
The Vietnamese government subsequently declared the region within Quang Tri Province where the aircraft crashed as off-limits to U.S. personnel, citing national security concerns. As part of an agreement with JPAC, a Vietnamese team unilaterally excavated the site and recovered human remains and other artifacts in 2008. The Vietnamese returned to the site in 2009, expanded the excavation area and discovered more remains and additional evidence.

****ers.

Still talking the time to stick it to us every chance they get. If I am ever made President I will resume Operation Rolling Thunder at the earliest convenience.

jaxman7
08-11-10, 20:31
May the LT and Chief Rest In Peace at home finally. Like others have said may this bring closure to the families. I wish all of the fallen could make it back to U.S. soil.

montanadave
08-11-10, 20:31
Deleted. Previous billingsgazette link contains the updated material.

usmcvet
08-12-10, 08:48
I am glad these me are finally home where they belong.

Semper Fi.

M4arc
08-12-10, 08:51
****ers.

Still talking the time to stick it to us every chance they get. If I am ever made President I will resume Operation Rolling Thunder at the earliest convenience.

I was on the fence about voting for you in the other thread but now I'm definitely IN!

CarlosDJackal
08-12-10, 23:24
RIP and welcome home, Gents.

warpigM-4
08-13-10, 00:57
I am glad they are coming Home!
Rolling thunder ,I was thinking Break out the Enola Gay for One More Mission

Looey
08-13-10, 02:51
RIP, and welcome home Gentlemen.
I hope they get a Heroes welcome when they get back.

Buck
08-13-10, 15:14
May they rest in peace on American soil...

usmcvet
08-13-10, 18:04
Well said Buck. I am glad they will be home soon. It makes me sad to think of all the questions and thoughts family members must go through when they just don't know. I hope they have some family who will be more at peace just knowing and having them home after so long. I wonder if their parents are still alive.

montanadave
08-14-10, 06:52
I wonder if their parents are still alive.

1st Lieutenant Magers mother is still living and will attend the memorial services for her son.

His brother, Fred Magers, was quoted in the Billings Gazette article linked above as stating, "This is a joyous occasion and if anybody at the services comes wearing somber colors, Mom might just cuss them out and at 92, she has earned the right to do this."

usmcvet
08-14-10, 07:33
MontanaDave

Thanks for the update. I did not see the second story in the link about the family, only the story about his class mates. It sounds like his Mother at 92 has the right attitude. I like the idea of wearing lasley and other 70's clothes to celebrate his life and his return. Great attitude.

Army Chief
08-14-10, 10:45
This one strikes a bit close to home, vocationally speaking. Although the time for mourning has long since passed, it is a cause for celebration that these boys can finally be laid to rest in a place where their sacrifice will be properly acknowledged and appreciated.

AC

William B.
08-14-10, 16:50
Rest in peace, soldiers.

montanadave
08-28-10, 08:47
Home at last!

http://billingsgazette.com/news/local/article_cafb59c6-b1fe-11df-88ed-001cc4c002e0.html

usmcvet
08-28-10, 13:01
Thanks for sharing the link to the articles. What a great family. I think Mom at 92 has the right idea. The return of the POW/MIA bracelet brought a few tears to my eyes.

Buckaroo
08-28-10, 18:23
Ms. Plaster showed some real class as well.

Shannon Wann Plaster buried her father in Oklahoma last Saturday, and on Friday she was in Montana to honor the man who died with him.

Plaster is the daughter of Donald L. Wann, the chief warrant officer 2 who was shot down and killed along with 1st Lt. Paul Magers in Vietnam in 1971.

"This has been a blessing from God to get them both home," she said.

Glad to have these heroes home and their lives and sacrifices properly celebrated.

May God grant peace to them and their families.

Buckaroo