PDA

View Full Version : There is something wrong with my ammo

rlgdestroyu@hotmail.com
08-11-10, 18:24
:confused: I've had my SR-15 for awhile, and have put only the same ammunition through it for that time. Approx 600 rounds. I've never had this issue before, but a couple of days ago, I couldn't get through even two magazines before my rifle got brass stuck in the chamber and when I looked the primer was out. I was able to get the brass out and fired a few more rounds before it did it again. This time I couldn't extract the brass. After finally gettin it out, it did it a third time this time the bolt was stuck and I couldn't get it out. I used a cleaning rod and was able to get it out. I kept the brass that was stuck and it looks squished toward the end with the primer. The primer had fallen out as well because the end was deformed. It had never done this before and maybe its my noob status, but is there something I can do? Or should I get professional help? Thanks.

thread title change to reflect the true nature of your problem.-gotm4

LOKNLOD
08-11-10, 18:40
What kind of ammo is it?

Failure2Stop
08-11-10, 18:42
Sounds like an ammo problem.
Popped primers is am indication of excessive chamber pressure or bad ammo.
What ammo manufacturer and type?
It is also potentially a chamber problem, but that's not the first thing I would be looking at with a KAC.

Col_Crocs
08-11-10, 19:01
Might be a bad batch of ammo. Did you take out the popped primer each time it happened?

yallknowho
08-11-10, 21:08
+1 on ammo. what ammo are you using?

rlgdestroyu@hotmail.com
08-11-10, 21:41
I'm using reloads from Tactical Ammunition in Oregon. I've bought from them and never had a problem....but that would explain, but not all of the ammo was doing it....here are the pics of the brass in question. The loads are 55gr FMJ in Lake City Brass loaded to mil-spec standards. If its the ammo, it would suck because I bought 500 of them :(

http://i720.photobucket.com/albums/ww210/rlgdestroyu/IMG_7583.jpg

http://i720.photobucket.com/albums/ww210/rlgdestroyu/IMG_7581.jpg

http://i720.photobucket.com/albums/ww210/rlgdestroyu/IMG_7582.jpg

rlgdestroyu@hotmail.com
08-11-10, 21:43
Might be a bad batch of ammo. Did you take out the popped primer each time it happened?

Yeah I did. Of course it fell in to all the nether regions of the trigger group.

Iraqgunz
08-11-10, 21:55
Unfortunately this is what happens when you buy reloaded ammo. Whether you had issues in the past or not is irrelevant.

I would contact them and ask if they have a guarantee.

I would also go buy some small amount of milspec ammo (which I believe is recommended by KAC) and see what happens. My guess is that it stops.

Yeah I did. Of course it fell in to all the nether regions of the trigger group.

mtdawg169
08-11-10, 22:06
The biggest problem with reloads is a lack of consistency. I wouldn't fire another round of that stuff. You might just lose your $2K investment if you do. I would try the rifle with some known factory 5.56 pressure ammo from a reliable source and then probably contact the reloader for a refund. My guess is that your problem will go away with true, in-spec ammo.

Also, you might also consider a new thread title until you determine the exact cause of the issue. Good luck!

rlgdestroyu@hotmail.com
08-11-10, 22:14
Yeah as far as there being something wrong with the gun I wasn't too sure, and in all ways I'm happy with it. I know I spent my money wisely and realize that its most likely not the rifle.

Boomer
08-12-10, 00:12
If one of those primers fell into your lower receiver and you never recovered it then you need to take the hammer and trigger assemblies out and find that primer. If you aren't trained on this then take it to an AR15/M16 certified gunsmith or armorer and have them do it. I had this happen to me once, I didn't find the primer and it lodged under my trigger, between the trigger and lower receiver. This didn't allow the trigger to work, dead gun.

Just looking at the brass it looks like it is way hot, were talking proof round hot, especially with the black scortching around the rim of the brass. I never shoot anyone's reloads but mine. Like the other guys said, put some factory loaded ammo through your gun and I bet the problem goes away. I would also clean the chamber, bore, and bolt face, inspect the bolt lugs and the tip of the firing pin to make sure there was no damage done.

Todd.K
08-12-10, 14:53
I'm using reloads...
http://i720.photobucket.com/albums/ww210/rlgdestroyu/IMG_7583.jpg

STOP SHOOTING THAT AMMO IMEDIATLY!!!

You are close to a KB that will destroy your rifle.

mtdawg169
08-12-10, 15:27
In the second pic, is that a scorch mark or did it blow through the web of the case? Those case head deformations are scary.

mike_556
08-12-10, 16:20
One rule of thumb is never shoot someone else's handloaded/reloaded ammo--unless you trust them with your life and gun. Either there is something seriously wrong with powder/powder charge or that pocket is so loose there shouldn't BE a primer in it......Send the remaining ammo back......And go factory or learn to roll your own

mtdawg169
08-12-10, 16:50
Would incorrect powder do that? Something like pistol powder in a rifle cartridge or just too much rifle powder?

GermanSynergy
08-12-10, 17:54
OP,
I had a similar ammo issue in my SR15 last week, while at a 2 day Tiger Swan carbine class. I had a blown primer, and the debris lodged in the firing pin channel in the bolt, locking the bolt into battery like a mug:mad:. I contacted Kevin B, who was most gracious and helpful (considering it was a Saturday AM), and managed to remedy the problem. The SR15 has 300 trouble free rounds thru it since last Sat, so I am once again :dirol:

The ammo in question for me was Royal Ordnance Radway Green SS109, 1989 manufacture.

MistWolf
08-12-10, 19:05
I will reiterate what Todd.K said- DO NOT FIRE ANOTHER ROUND OF THAT AMMO!!

It's showing dangerous high pressure signs. Not only was the primer blown out, the brass at the case head has flowed quite a bit. Not only has the primer pocket expanded but it's elongated and the primer flash hole is greatly enlarged. By all rights that brass should have ruptured.

Be sure you inspect the extractor and bolt face for signs of damage.

The other possibility is an out of battery firing.

Either way, your Guardian Angel was working double overtime that day and you owe him a drink

bkb0000
08-12-10, 19:19
this ammo is made about 1/4 mile from my house... good guys, but certainly not beyond making mistakes.

are you local? tell them about it- if they're worth anything, they'll swap it out for you. they need to know about it.

bkb0000
08-12-10, 19:20
503-397-9721

do it now

ETA: do it first thing in the morning, they're gone for the day today.

rlgdestroyu@hotmail.com
08-12-10, 21:37
For all that posted. Thanks for all the help. I probably have averted a catastrophic failure. I have contacted Tactical Ammunition and they are replacing all of it at no cost. They have great customer service. Thanks again, its why I love this board.

evolixsurf
08-14-10, 11:48
The only reloaded ammo I will ever shoot is black hills and my own... Buying bulk reloaded ammo is like, the worst thing you can do...

Edit: If you had problems with that ammo before, I would not even use the replacement stuff they will send you. Sell it and buy some factory new stuff. Its not only dangerous to you, its even more dangerous for the people around you at the range.

Molon
08-14-10, 12:41
If you had problems with that ammo before, I would not even use the replacement stuff they will send you. Sell it and buy some factory new stuff. Its not only dangerous to you, its even more dangerous for the people around you at the range.

So it's "dangerous" ammo, yet you advise him to sell it to someone else???:(

evolixsurf
08-14-10, 13:31
Somones got to be crazy enough to shoot it. That or tell the manufacturer to keep their ammo.

Harv
08-14-10, 14:52
send it to me.... I'll shoot it....

I'm actually surprised there are still folks who have ammo problems with reloaded ammo from a small ammo company and don't realize it's them!!!

Them being nice guys have nothing to do with there machines, there QC and there capability....or lack off...

Iraqgunz
08-14-10, 16:03
What makes you think the next batch will be any better? Seriously consider the cost of the rifle you are shooting and whether or not it is worth saving a few dollars by having one of their rounds blow up in your gun and potentially injure you.

I would contact them and request a refund and tell them that you have lost confidence in their product.

For all that posted. Thanks for all the help. I probably have averted a catastrophic failure. I have contacted Tactical Ammunition and they are replacing all of it at no cost. They have great customer service. Thanks again, its why I love this board.

Blankwaffe
08-14-10, 16:22
What makes you think the next batch will be any better? Seriously consider the cost of the rifle you are shooting and whether or not it is worth saving a few dollars by having one of their rounds blow up in your gun and potentially injure you.

I would contact them and request a refund and tell them that you have lost confidence in their product.

I'll second that motion.....
Ive gota a old Dillon Precision article framed and hanging on the wall "Life's too short to shoot crappy ammo(do you feel lucky) by Peter Caroline" that I read eveytime I start feeling the cheap bug.Therefore I dont buy reloads unless its Black Hills Blue Box,and only then because I know the anal reloading processes that Black Hills follows in said ammo.