PDA

View Full Version : Vortex on BCM 14.5

huntsimp
08-11-10, 21:36
Anyone here running a Vortex or Blackout on a BCM 14.5" Mid? Just wondering as to how it compares to the PWS brake.

Is the PWS really needed to reduce recoil? I don't like the prospect of extra noise from a brake.

Grease Monkey
08-12-10, 07:34
Anyone here running a Vortex or Blackout on a BCM 14.5" Mid? Just wondering as to how it compares to the PWS brake.

Is the PWS really needed to reduce recoil? I don't like the prospect of extra noise from a brake.

I ran a regular a2 on the 14.5 bcm middy. The PWS definately makes a difference. there is almost no muzzle jump at all. Its really not that much louder. I don't know why it has such a bad rep. I bought a blackout to put on my middy but after using the pws I decided I really like how much it helps with quicker target acquisiton when shooting.

The recoil between a carbine 14.5 and a middy 14.5 are not dramatically different. The middy is not quite as harsh IMO.

Robb Jensen
08-12-10, 07:47
Also take a good look at the BattleComp. It's a little louder than an A2 and doesn't have the ring (tuning fork ring) of the Vortex. The BattleComp reduces recoil and muzzle lift quite well.

jaxman7
08-12-10, 08:22
This isn't exactly comparing apples to apples but my neighbor has a BCM 14.5" mid length upper pinned with the blackout (aka tuning fork). I haven't jumped on the middy bandwagon yet. Mine is a DD 16" carbine length with a PWS FSC556. When I finally got to shoot them back to back I was rather surprised at how much better my carbine length system kept the muzzle down compared to the middy. By tracking the red dots on both rifles I would say the middy's muzzle rose about 50% more than mine and that's not an overestimation. Obviously the brake being the largest factor but I am sure that my longer barrel also made a difference. The middy was noticeably smoother and the aimpoint red dot on my buddy's bcm didn't rise as fast as the micro on my own rifle. I wish I could put my brake on his but obviously that can't happen.
All in all I came away with the impression that a mid length with a good brake like the battle comp or pws must be a very sweet shooting rifle. Gotta jump on that bandwagon!

markm
08-12-10, 13:33
The PWS definately makes a difference. there is almost no muzzle jump at all. Its really not that much louder. I don't know why it has such a bad rep.

My PWS is crazy loud. Even the wives were bitching when we fired the thing.... and they're unbiased and don't care a thing about guns.

I've had the opposite experience.... I don't know why so many people run the PWS.

jaxman7
08-12-10, 14:02
Can't argue with you on that one markm. Looking forward to trying out the battlecomp.

huntsimp
08-12-10, 15:48
Yea I'm thinking about running the Battle Comp.

sjc3081
08-12-10, 16:49
I run SEI vortex on a LMT 14.5 carbine and am very happy. I think the pinging issue is not a issue

huntsimp
08-12-10, 16:51
Yea the issue isn't "pinging" with the Vortex, but added noise with the PWS.

spamsammich
08-12-10, 20:05
Pinging never bothered me. The blast from a PWS on an indoor range is a real bell ringer, even through two layers of ear pro. I'd say it was even louder than my Rainier XTC, if that's possible ;) I had to stop shooting for a bit standing next to a guy with a PWS because he was making me flinch like a mofo. When my cousins were shooting in a booth next to me, they said my XTC was brain rattlingly loud. I had one of them shoot while I sampled it, and sure as shit, that thing was distracting but not quite as blasty as a PWS.

Hmac
08-12-10, 20:17
I have a PWS on order. I'm just going to wear ear plugs when I shoot it.

nickdrak
08-12-10, 20:36

It's not really about reducing the "recoil" as the .223/5.56 doesn't really have much to begin with. Muzzle devices such as the BattleComp and the PWS are designed to control muzzle rise in-order to keep your sights or dot on-target for quicker follow-up shots.

I would also hold-off for the soon to be released BattleComp 1.5 which is specifically designed to be pinned/welded on 14.5" barrels to make them NFA compliant.

markm
08-12-10, 21:23
I have a PWS on order. I'm just going to wear ear plugs when I shoot it.

From the shooter's position, I have no problem shooting it with regular old peltor muffs. People in the surrounding areas are more bothered by it.

I'm starting to like the thing.

spamsammich
08-13-10, 00:00
From the shooter's position, I have no problem shooting it with regular old peltor muffs. People in the surrounding areas are more bothered by it.

I'm starting to like the thing.

Exactly, the guy with the PWS had no idea how loud his rifle was until people started commenting on it.

mpom
08-13-10, 07:36
Same expeerience; liked shooting the fsc556 until I was standing next to it. Took the plunge and bought the BC. Now muzzle stays down and blast much reduced. I feel accuracy is better than with FSC, but could be a result of barrel break-in and familiarity.

Mark