PDA

View Full Version : Harris Vs. Versapod

shark31
06-26-07, 13:05
What are the pro's and con's of each, or which do you prefer?

Versapod with the dual locks, and the Harris with the Terry Cross mod.

Derek_Connor
06-26-07, 13:07
What are the pro's and con's of each, or which do you prefer?

Versapod with the dual locks, and the Harris with the Terry Cross mod.

whats the terry cross mod?

C4IGrant
06-26-07, 13:26
Can I choose something better? Like the TD??? :D

C4

shark31
06-26-07, 13:36
Can I choose something better? Like the TD??? :D

C4

It's for a PAI Surgeon in an A5. Sorry, I should have added that in the first post.

flanntastic
06-27-07, 11:44
i have both, but i like the Harris better

toddackerman
07-23-07, 02:28
i have both, but i like the Harris better

+1 T

There is a modification you can add for a full "Pan and Tilt" on a Harris BiPod, but I can't remeber who does it. I just remenber that it was a very solid, fool proof design....before I sold it with the rifle over a year ago.

If you google it as "Harris Bipod Pan and Tilt" you should be able to find it.

Tack

flanntastic
07-23-07, 11:23
i had three bipods with me this weekend,
a versa pod, a harris with the pod loc, and the rock creek (harris copy).

after the weekend of shooting, i am selling off the versa and the rock creek cause nothing is as good as a harris with pod lock, (i haven't tried the TD one yet).

I just ordered a larue QD mount and i will use my harris on all my guns.

Texas Gunman
08-17-07, 22:35
Some people like the swival harris bipod, I happen to like the stationary model best.

Also, the 9-13 works best while shooting pron.

I use to have a Versa Pod, it isnt bad at all.

TG

filthy phil
08-18-07, 14:40
Some people like the swival harris bipod, I happen to like the stationary model best.

Also, the 9-13 works best while shooting pron.

I use to have a Versa Pod, it isnt bad at all.

TG
thats right
the feet spin, so even the solid model pans enough for bench rest shootin

f.2
09-17-07, 05:59
Read that the Versa-Pod is a "Chinese copy of the much more expensive British Parker Hale bipod (http://www.snipercountry.com/hottips/Bipods.htm)".

VA_Dinger
09-17-07, 10:26
I prefer the Harris hands down every time.

The Versa-Pod flops around too much for me. Mine would even tip over the weapon if I weren’t being careful. The only way they work is by adding the (Snipers Hide) tension adjustment modification but even then it's not better than a stock Harris. Not to mention the only decent rail mount for the Versa-Pod is made by ARMS and they want $130 for it – that’s nuts.

Buy a Harris or Tango Down (I have no TD experience myself though).

Trim2L
09-17-07, 13:33
The Versapod is a cheap copy of the Parker Hale, which is now made for AI. I personally don't like how much the Parker Hale pod moves but if you are shooting movers it is better suited than the Harris.

The TD bipod is too long for a bolt gun in my opinion. If I need a bipod that long I'll just use my pack.

MX5
09-27-07, 10:58
Harris gets my vote

Ned Christiansen
11-01-07, 09:09
I bought a Parker Hale simply based on the "ooh, it's European and all the exotic high-end Euro-tactical gear has them". Big mistake, I should have bought three Harris bipods. The PH is too heavy, too noisy, too anxious to go shooting (self-deploying), too hooking-on-everything, and way overpriced.

I would not consider anything that was a Chinese knockoff of something else, but that's just me and my politics (just read that bogus Leupolds with the logo are now coming in from China).

m24shooter
12-15-07, 08:19
Have you considered a Bobro?

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a391/m24shooter/sdmbobro2frrtwm.jpg

Dave L.
12-15-07, 10:27
Have you considered a Bobro?

Is it American made? How does it attach?

m24shooter
12-15-07, 12:55
Made in Cali, attaches via rail.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a391/m24shooter/sdmbobro2strutspringwm.jpg
There are adapters for some non-railed weapons.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a391/m24shooter/m24bobro2wm.jpg

Eric
01-18-08, 06:03
The Harris is always a solid choice. I've been using the BOBRO for some time now and have been impressed.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/AR15forme/Bobro%20Bipod/IMG_28091.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/AR15forme/Bobro%20Bipod/IMG_28201.jpg

BSHNT2015
01-19-08, 12:38
Bobro gen-2 bipod review 011408

I had the opportunity to field test the Bobro gen-2 bipod. What I first noticed was the weight of the bipod and the overall quality of the finish. I would surmise the weight of the bipod a bit more than a fully loaded 20 rd magazine (Bobro bipod weight-.8036 grams vs loaded 20 rd magazine-.7126 grams). The anodized black paint finish is well executed and all metal parts are rounded or recessed with no exposed sharp edges to cut or snag onto.

I attached the bipod to a Colt AR 6920 with a Surefire M73 rail system. Another feature that I found very useful was the bipod was built in mind to be attached to the M1913 rail system or Picatinny rail system; this feature eliminates the need for an additional mount/adaptor to hold the bipod. Once attached to the rail system, you merely tighten down the retention screw.

From a street cop’s perspective, I appreciate the well thought out design and attention to detail, for instance, the aluminum legs are capped and the shaft is enclosed. The retention screws on the bipod legs and adaptor for M1913 rail are designed so that if you were to loosen the screws all the way, they would remain attached without the fear of losing them--cop proof. The bipod springs are designed to retract/tuck out of the way when the bipod is not in use. Even with the bipod legs extended out, the springs are not exposed where they can snag onto an object.

To use the bipod from the closed position, you merely pull one bipod leg in a downward motion without depressing any buttons or controls. The action was very smooth and quick. To close the bipod leg, you push the spring-loaded pad/button. All you have to do is press on the pad and push the bipod leg upward. Again, the action is very smooth and quick. At the end of each leg was a foot pad held into place by a Phillips screw. The foot pad has a “waffle surface” to it. The “waffle surface” provides a good hold on the various surfaces I shoot from. An interesting feature one might take for granted is that the inward corner of each “waffle surface” foot pad is cut in a 45 degree angle; this allowed the bipod legs to fold closer together.

As a test from a prone position I got up and ran with the bipod legs extended opened to a position 25 yards away. While on the run, I had no difficulty closing the bipod quickly. The bipod did not hook or snag onto any of my other gears. I also liked how quiet it was to operate, whether setting up or folding away.

At the range with some of my fellow SWAT operators. The officers, all police snipers, were impressed and felt the Bobro had more to offer then the department issued Harris bipod used on their Remington 700. Some of the officers felt the Bobro would give their department issued Colt M4 a significant tactical advantage. Our department’s police snipers deploy with both rifles and in many situations, deploy the Colt M4 with their Leupold CQT scopes more often. The Bobro bipod setup offers a more stable platform to work from.

At the range, I ran and shot with the bipod attached to the rifle. I acted in typical SWAT scenarios ranging from sniper support, support/arrest, containment and entry. I found several unique features that added to the well though out design of the Bobro bipod. The first feature was the ability of the bipod to swivel/cant left or right in either the opened or closed position. While swiveling/canting the bipod, there was some resistance offered in the movement. If the rifle was swiveled/canted off from center, it would hold in that swiveled/canted position without flopping loosely around.

The bipod legs can be extended from approximately 7 inches to 9 ½ inches. The Bobro leg adjustments are made by loosing the retention screws on the legs. The adjustments are made without preset notches; rather the user makes adjustments to his desire. Once tightened, I did not feel either of legs loosening up, even while falling to the prone position with the bipod open and legs extended.

As a left-handed shooter, my Surefire light was attached at the 9:00 position. When I swiveled/canted the bipod to the right side, it did not interfere or block the light. Because of this ability, I was quickly able to move from being in a containment position to an entry position without pausing to remove the bipod and storing it--a nice feature when moving to cover your buddy. If one really wanted to, the leg of the bipod can also act as a VFG.

Lastly, although small in size, the 1” X 1” plastic foot pad with the “waffled surface” provided a solid base whether positioned on a roof top, lying on the cold wet sidewalk behind a park car or sitting comfortably in a chair with the rifle/bipod on a “concerned citizen’s” dinning table. I had no trouble adapting the bipod to any surface or angle. My only concern for the plastic foot pad would be the Phillip’s screw holding it in place. When I had the bipod’s foot pad lying in the muddy ground, I notice the screw heads were covered with mud.

In short, I would tell my boss this is a great tool for any patrol rifle and SWAT team. This is a must have gear whether attached on your rifle ready to go or stored in your kit bag.