PDA

View Full Version : Light The Night 2011 2012

Smuckatelli
08-12-10, 08:37
Some of you may be aware of my son Tomas has been fighting leukemia since 6 Sept 2007. He is scheduled to go off treatment this November after 3 years, 2 months of daily chemo. He is treated at Walter Reed.

He has been a Team Captain for the past three years at the Fredericksburg VA. walk. This is his final walk while he is undergoing treatment. Prayers are the most important thing for these kids fighting cancer. His fundraising, to him is the next most important thing. As a family we have not taken advantage of the help that the Leukemia Lymphoma Society gives to people fighting blood cancers. As a father I have been extremely proud of his fund raising efforts; recruiting local businesses, walking door to door, and selling lemonade.

His goal is to help find one pill instead of the thousands that he has taken to cure the cancer. If you can give, it is greatly appreciated. Credit/Debit card is the quickest method, the system is completely safe, We have been giving since 2007 using the system in place.

Here's his updated page:

http://pages.lightthenight.org/va/Frdrcksb11/TeamTomas

Smuckatelli
08-15-10, 18:05
Tomas is sitting at $2,707.50, the 10-20 dollar donations add up quickly.

I don't know if he is really serious when he says that the kids need better medicine or if he is just saying the party line.....I do know that he has taken thousands (yes thousands) of pills in the past two years 11 months, 22 spinal taps, 5 bone marrow aspirations, 2surgeries, and multiple emergency room runs.

If you can swing a couple dollars, he does appreciate it.

Here's a photo album of his journey through childhood cancer:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2031468&id=1403506178&l=ebb66622ff

woodandsteel
08-15-10, 22:47
Prayers are the most important thing for these kids fighting cancer. His fundraising, to him is the next most important thing.

Here's his page:

http://pages.lightthenight.org/va/Frdrcksb10/TeamTomas

I can't wait to see Thomas reach his goal.

Prayer and donation sent.

Smuckatelli
08-16-10, 07:24
I can't wait to see Thomas reach his goal.

Prayer and donation sent.

I told Tomas about your donation this morning before I left for work. He said "Thank you very much" as he giggled when he looked at the site this morning.

I appreciate it, a good way for him to start his week.

ra2bach
08-16-10, 09:14
God Bless. prayers inbound...

Smuckatelli
08-16-10, 18:12
God Bless. prayers inbound...

Thanks, prayers are most welcome.

Irish
08-16-10, 18:41
My uncle participated in the Light the Night fundraiser every year for as long as I can remember until he recently passed away from Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma. Prayers have been said and my donation has been made. Best of luck to you, your son and your family. God bless.

And to other M4C'ers let's see how many of us can participate in a truly worth cause.

Smuckatelli
08-16-10, 21:00
Thanks Irishluck.

He's talking about going door to door this weekend. I was hoping to wait until September but he wants to 'even' the amount before he starts third grade at the end of this month.

dirksterg30
08-17-10, 08:03
Donation sent. I'll put this up on my Facebook page as well.

Smuckatelli
08-17-10, 08:27
Donation sent. I'll put this up on my Facebook page as well.

Thanks, Facebook is a good idea.

I'll let you guys know how much he raises this weekend with the door to door event.

Irish
08-17-10, 10:31
Thanks Irishluck.

You're welcome! :smile: Sounds like a motivated little guy and I wish him and your family nothing but the best.

Smuckatelli
08-19-10, 09:02
The Leukemia Lymphoma Society is having the Fredericksburg Kick Off tomorrow at 18:00....it would be neat if Tomas can have 30% of his goal by then. His older sister has requested to sing the National Anthem at the walk in October.

Irish
08-19-10, 10:11
Game me a smile to see Lemonade Sale on his list of donors, that's great! Come on M4C, only $75 to go ;)

Smuckatelli
08-19-10, 10:45
Game me a smile to see Lemonade Sale on his list of donors, that's great! Come on M4C, only $75 to go ;)

He's planning on doing another one. He's in the picture below sitting at the stand while his younger sister and friend are pulling people in.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=31519106&l=6d870669f0&id=1403506178

Safetyhit
08-19-10, 11:06
I tried to look at the pictures, but I just couldn't get past a couple. As the father of a 6 year old boy, it was far too terrifying and sad for me to make it through. I mean that hit real hard...ouch. :(

You must be a literal Super-Man by now, having dealt with such unimaginable adversity. All I can do is say a prayer, offer my appreciation for his positive progress and send a little something.

God Bless you all.

Smuckatelli
08-19-10, 13:46
I tried to look at the pictures, but I just couldn't get past a couple. As the father of a 6 year old boy, it was far too terrifying and sad for me to make it through. I mean that hit real hard...ouch. :(

You must be a literal Super-Man by now, having dealt with such unimaginable adversity. All I can do is say a prayer, offer my appreciation for his positive progress and send a little something.

God Bless you all.

I have difficulty looking at those pictures also. My wife has perscription anti-depressants on the refridgerator that she hasn't used yet. I get sent to the range alot by her and my boss because that is the only place where this journey doesn't cloud my thoughts.

I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy, Tomas keeps hitting us up for the one pill cure. The medicine has effected him so much that he has been searching for this one pill since his first Light the Night walk in 2007.

SeriousStudent
08-19-10, 19:38
Prayers and a donation sent.

A long time ago, I used to fly young cancer patients to and from MD Anderson in Houston, as a flight paramedic. The bravery of these young fighters left me speechless long ago, and still does to this day.

Via con Dios, Tomas. Not all warriors wear a uniform, and yet you still battle deadly enemies. You are in our prayers. Stay strong.

Smuckatelli
08-19-10, 21:12
Prayers and a donation sent.

A long time ago, I used to fly young cancer patients to and from MD Anderson in Houston, as a flight paramedic. The bravery of these young fighters left me speechless long ago, and still does to this day.

Via con Dios, Tomas. Not all warriors wear a uniform, and yet you still battle deadly enemies. You are in our prayers. Stay strong.

Thank you for your service to MD Anderson and thank you for your donation and kind words, Tomas appreciates it.

Smuckatelli
08-20-10, 14:51
Tomas just returned from Walter Reed, his ANC is 777 so we are back on track with his treatment. Tonight he is attending the official kickoff for the walk this year.

Smuckatelli
08-22-10, 19:27
Tomas spent yesterday going door to door in our neighborhood. something to keep in mind, Friday is his methotextrate chemo day, the sun really messes with him as you can see in the attached photo. I'm on travel until Thursday, he will be once again going door to door next Saturday...hopefully it will be raining.

He is sitting at 33%.

Yes, the following is a no kidding play on you guys...it is honest, he wants to shoot dads rifle. I promised him that if he gets to 37% by the time that I get back on Thursday night, he'll shoot the 6920, until now he has only shot the CZ 452.

kry226
08-22-10, 20:08
God's Blessings to you, sir, and to Tomas.

I lost my wife to leukemia (AML) ten years ago at Walter Reed. Knowing all they go trough, the methotrexate, shunts, Hickman catheters, chemo, blood products, bone marrow biopsies, transplants etc, etc, etc, Tomas is a true and brave trooper and a hero.

God Bless, and good luck with the Walk. Give him our best.

Safetyhit
08-24-10, 08:10
Something to keep in mind, Friday is his methotextrate chemo day, the sun really messes with him as you can see in the attached photo.

Actually the first thing that came to my mind was how much better he looked in that photo than he did in some of the earlier ones. Really good to see, very encouraging.

Safetyhit
08-26-10, 14:47
See that you guys are up to 35% now thanks to what appear to be several of us here at M4C. Meant to add mine the other day but I got completely sidetracked, sorry.

Recognized one, maybe 2 fellows on the list under Thomas' link by actual name here who did not mention they donated in the thread... good fellows. Thought have doing the same but I think it's good for you to see that some of us stepped up who you may not know by name.

Anyway, hope he gets some time with the 6920. Think he probably deserves it, no matter what the total.

Smuckatelli
09-01-10, 17:01
September is National Childhood Cancer awareness month.

Hello all;

Here's an update:

Tomas is sitting at 35% of his goal with 48 days until he leads his team on the walk. There has been a couple of local business' that were thinking about sponsoring but they weren't able to. He and his little sister have walked door to door to a little over 50 different houses and have sold lemonade.

This is his last year leading the team while he is actively in treatment, if all goes well, in November he will take his last chemotherapy and have the internal port removed in March. It would be great if he could achieve 'superstar status' in his fund raising efforts the month before he completes his 3 year 2 month treatment.

Any help, any ideas that you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

S/F

Smuckatelli
09-12-10, 19:07
Someone named Mark W just donated to the walk, no details on the person but if you are here Mark; Tomas told me to tell you Thanks!

Safetyhit
09-12-10, 20:24
I know that at least 2 members here donated under their real names, so you never know.

Hope he is continuing to get better and stronger.

Smuckatelli
09-12-10, 22:08
I'm going to have to check tomorrow but off the top of my head, I think there has been 5 or 6. Including one that was stationed with me in Bangui back in 1993.....very small world.

SeriousStudent
09-12-10, 22:42
Thanks so much for bumping this thread. It had slipped my mind that I had promised Tomas another push towards his goal on payday. I just remedied that.

And if he ever gets down to Texas, he can shoot my 6920 as much as he wants. I love lemonade - so he can swap me some for the ammo, and we'll be even. :)

Smuckatelli
09-13-10, 10:27
I looked at the data, it looks like 11 members from here have donated, SeriousStudent did twice. This morning while Tomas was getting dressed I told him the amount and without think I told him that he was also doubletapped by SeriousStudent....I had to explain what a doubletap meant, so now Tomas is calling SeriousStudent "Mr. Doubletap." :D

SeriousStudent
09-13-10, 19:11
Hahahaha!!!! Tomas has a crystal ball. :D

I do remember having a long conversation with a new platoon commander once, back when I was a squad leader. That was a loooong time ago.

After an increasingly frustrating half-hour, I just said "Sir, anything worth shooting is worth shooting at least twice."

Thanks, that really made me laugh. :)

Smuckatelli
09-18-10, 16:50
Only 28 days until Tomas leads his team. If you can pass this on to your friends, he would greatly appreciate it.

Off topic of the Light The Night walk, he signed up for the USMC Healthy Kids Fun Run at the Pentagon on the 30th.

Its the day after his last in treatment clinic visit where he will get the last injection of vincrisitine to his heart via his port.

Smuckatelli
09-18-10, 21:59
I forgot to add, his 23rd spinal tap is on the 1st of October. The Light The Night Walk is on the 16th. His final Clinic/IV Chemo visit is on the 29th. The one mile USMC fun run is on the 30th.

His final chemo pill will be a 23:30, 9 November. This will complete his 3 year, 2 month treatment. If he does not have a relapse; November 9th 2012 he will be considered 'cured.'

Smuckatelli
09-18-10, 22:19
deleted

Smuckatelli
09-20-10, 12:23
checking zero

Irish
10-11-10, 21:22
Thread bump for a great cause!

Smuckatelli
10-12-10, 11:13
Thread bump for a great cause!

Thanks for the bump Irish.

Tomas is sitting at 73% right now.

He wasn't able to get any corporate sponsorships this year so it has been 100% individual donations. The LLS people are going to give him a trophy recognizing his fund raising efforts while he was actively in treatment since Sept 2007.

His efforts have raised over $25,000.00 in the three years that he has been taking chemo.

One more month of chemo; November 9 at 23:30 will be his last chemo pill.

Smuckatelli
10-15-10, 12:39
Someone just donated $1000.00.

Tomas is only $1,340.00 short of his goal.

Smuckatelli
10-15-10, 15:45
A company in Texas called 'Max Movers' just donated $1,340.00.

Tomas has met his goal.

Safetyhit
10-15-10, 16:46
A company in Texas called 'Max Movers' just donated $1,340.00.

Tomas has met his goal.

I'm sure I don't speak for just myself when I say that we are very happy for you. Both about the money and the fact that his treatments are done.

Also, I am going to send a thank-you to these movers if I can find adequate contact information.

Easy enough: http://maxmovers.com/contact.htm

Since no email was available, I called and spoke to a gentleman who apparently was responsible for the donation. I told him I have no direct affiliation with the family but am aware of the situation and simply wanted to express my gratitude as an independent 3rd party.

Smuckatelli
10-15-10, 18:37
Thanks for that Safetyhit.

Tomas is acting like as though it is Christmas.

What he doesn't realize is that the LLS had a trophy made for him recognizing the more than $25k that he has raised since he began treatment.

I'll post pictures on Sunday.

SeriousStudent
10-15-10, 20:24
That is wonderful, wonderful news!

I am so happy for Tomas. Despite adversity, he continues to succeed! :)

Irish
10-15-10, 23:40
I'm so happy Tomas made his goal! Congratulations to him, you and your family! I hope nothing but the best for him!

Smuckatelli
10-17-10, 17:26
Here's a link to some photos from the event:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2093195&id=1403506178&l=19cb581552

This years total was $10,630.00 at the walk. There was some more donations turned in during the walk so I think his total will be somewhere around $12k.

Smuckatelli
05-17-11, 11:09
Tomas is kicking off his 5th LTN. If you are going to donate, please click on 'Tomas Nichols' or the donation credit will be split between all members of the team. LTN is giving out movie tickets until the end of the month for each $100 raised. I'm hoping to get $1500.00 raised by 30 May. Tomas can use the tickets to take his 'Lemonade/Candy/Car Wash Team of kids to the movies.

http://pages.lightthenight.org/va/Frdrcksb11/TeamTomas

Update on Tomas; He took his last chemo pill on 09 November 2010 at 23:30. His port was removed on the 22nd of November. That completed his 3 years, 2 months and 4 days of daily chemo treatment. 5 bone marrow scrapes, 23 spinal tapes, 2 different medical implants, multiple days in the hospital......now he goes for monthly bloodwork to identify if the leukemia is coming back. 2 more years of this and we should be in the clear.

BTW, 2 weeks ago he broke his arm........a regular 9 year old boy injury. ;)

SeriousStudent
05-17-11, 18:26
I'm in. I get paid Friday, and will be more than happy to help Tomas with his new goal.

And I'll "double-tap" again this year as well. ;)

Smuckatelli
05-17-11, 18:41
And I'll "double-tap" again this year as well. ;)

Son of a gun, he no kidding remembers your double tap from last year. He said "hello."

SeriousStudent
05-17-11, 19:43
I had no doubt he would remember it. Tomas is a smart young man.

Please convey my respects and appreciation for his efforts this year. A warrior looks after and protects those less fortunate or in danger. I just wish he and others did not have to be so brave, at such an early age.

Safetyhit
05-18-11, 15:36
That completed his 3 years, 2 months and 4 days of daily chemo treatment. 5 bone marrow scrapes, 23 spinal tapes, 2 different medical implants, multiple days in the hospital......now he goes for monthly bloodwork to identify if the leukemia is coming back. 2 more years of this and we should be in the clear.

What a living hell this must have been. I don't know how your heart didn't fail at some point due to pure grief. I suppose the need to be strong for him got you through, but I just can't imagine.

Still it's great to hear things are looking better for him and hope the arm is healing up well.

SeriousStudent
05-24-11, 21:50
Tomas is now over his personal goal. Let's all pitch in, and help with his team goal.

Keep up the good work, Tomas! :)

Irish
05-25-11, 10:58
Just a thought... In order to get more people involved I'd suggest changing the title of this thread to 2011 or starting a new thread to reflect the change. Best of luck to Tomas!

Irish
05-25-11, 11:01
Also, dumb question time, do we still keep donating to Tomas even though he's at 100% or just to the team? Sorry, late night last night. ;)

Smuckatelli
05-25-11, 11:40
Also, dumb question time, do we still keep donating to Tomas even though he's at 100% or just to the team? Sorry, late night last night. ;)

Please only donate to Tomas, if you donate to the team it gets split by all team members.

Smuckatelli
05-25-11, 11:42
Just a thought... In order to get more people involved I'd suggest changing the title of this thread to 2011 or starting a new thread to reflect the change. Best of luck to Tomas!

Good point, I changed the title and undated the link.

Thanks

Smuckatelli
05-25-11, 13:45
The ball is rolling....:D

$380 raised today.

Irish
05-25-11, 14:04
Donation sent! :dance3:

Smuckatelli
05-26-11, 12:09
$530.00 USD in donations in the last 24 hours....very impressive.

I'm thinking that Tomas will probably want to do the lemonade stand this weekend.

Smuckatelli
10-30-11, 18:22
I pretty much went radio silent on this once we got rolling with the 1911. Tomas lead his 5th Walk for the Fredericksburg Walk last night. He maintained point with his sister and friend for the entire walk.

Many of you guys gave to his effort, many more gave to the 1911. Your hearts are in the right place. Way to motivate these young warriors as they do battle.

Thank you!

S/F

Paul

Here's a FB link to the walk if you want to take a look:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1893132413709.2111804.1403506178&type=1&l=c55e83f652

SeriousStudent
10-30-11, 20:09
The lemonade and cookie stand is awesome. Things like that always bring a big goofy grin to my face. :)

It looks like you had a nice turnout that night, despite the weather.

Maybe my eyes are tricking me, but it looks like Tomas has grown a bit in height this year. If so, that is great! Thanks for the update, and please pass on my best to your young man.

Smuckatelli
10-31-11, 09:15
Maybe my eyes are tricking me, but it looks like Tomas has grown a bit in height this year. If so, that is great! Thanks for the update, and please pass on my best to your young man.

He has grown, good eyes. ;)

Smuckatelli
04-18-12, 08:31
Tomas wanted to get the effort going a little early this year. He wants to run a lemonade sale on Saturday while the community holds its annual yard sale.

He didn't want pictures of him without hair....so I didn't put any on the website but I did put a hyperlink to his treatment pictures

http://pages.lightthenight.org/va/Frdrcksb12/TeamTomas

He's okay with the hyperlink as long as it isn't on his 'Front Page'

If you know anyone that wants to donate to a good cause, this is a good cause. Its all electronic and a tax receipt is emailed to you. None of the funds go directly to Tomas. It all goes to current patients in treatment. He wants a single pill cure for kids that get "DX'd tomorrow"

Please feel free to pass on to your friends.

SeriousStudent
04-18-12, 22:57
I am in for a third year, and happy to do it. I'll send some money on payday for Team Tomas.

Smuckatelli
04-29-12, 16:03
Boring Sunday...

Tomas & Anna decided that he needed to send an email out....

Within a couple of minutes...suppressive fires occurred.

Thanks Bill, it is greatly appreciated.

S/F