PDA

View Full Version : Pasadena may be dropping charges against a cop killer...

John_Wayne777
08-12-10, 15:47
http://www.khou.com/news/Sources-Charges-against-man-accused-of-killing-Pasadena-cop--100509369.html

Short version:

Dude murders a police officer. Turns out that shortly before this he had been arrested for DUI and was not given his meds for being a nutter while in state custody. Less that 24 hours later he murders the officer...and now apparently everybody is convinced the guy was legally insane when he killed the officer.

Now I'm not an expert in law enforcement or psychology, but I'm calling BS on that. :mad:

GermanSynergy
08-12-10, 16:15
Just when you think things can't get any worse.....:mad:

Cascades236
08-12-10, 17:06
The CRIMINAL JUSTICE system fails yet again. What has to happen until we can start calling it the VICTIM justice system?

Insanity should only determine which facility you spend the rest of your life in. The article is vague, is this guy at least going away to a mental health facility?

You miss one dose of medication and can now get away with murder? This could be any of us.. one of our loved ones killed and their murderer walking away because he missed a dose of medication.

Belmont31R
08-12-10, 17:09
In this case I would 100% support a public mob lynching. If our justice system will not do whats right then justice falls on the people.

Todd.K
08-12-10, 17:45
I don't know of any head pills that should be taken with alcohol...

Was he too "insane" to know he should not be drinking while taking his "anti cop killer" pills?

Safetyhit
08-12-10, 17:58
I just watched the news clip and expected to hear of some significant circumstance that influenced the prosecution, but I saw nothing. This has really got to be someones idea of a bad joke.

Think about it...they claim that this man was walking the streets in such a dangerous mental state that he would harass others and eventually murder a policeman as a result of missing a dose of medicine. Yet neither he nor anyone else is accountable, even the doctor that allowed this supposedly insane slop bucket to regulate his own medications? If it's ok to say he was that bad now, who missed it and why?

I'll tell you who needs to go to jail: the scumbag killer and anyone in the system stupid enough to think that he shouldn't. And if he really was that bad off mentally, then the fu*k-up doctor(s) who felt that a pill taken at the nuts own discretion was sufficient should pay royally.

Either he was not that bad mentally and is convicted or he was that bad and therefore those professionals responsible for not dealing with him were negligent. One way or another, someone needs to be held accountable.

armakraut
08-12-10, 18:44
His next head pill should weigh about 124 grains.

BrianS
08-12-10, 20:13
They have no such thing as not guilty by reason of insanity in California? Why would they drop the charges entirely? In most states they would continue to prosecute, get the not guilty by reason of insanity verdict if that is what it amounts to, and then proceed to show he is a danger to himself and others and get him involuntarily committed. WTF?

Longhorn
08-12-10, 20:45
They have no such thing as not guilty by reason of insanity in California? Why would they drop the charges entirely? In most states they would continue to prosecute, get the not guilty by reason of insanity verdict if that is what it amounts to, and then proceed to show he is a danger to himself and others and get him involuntarily committed. WTF?

This is Pasadena Texas, not California.

Pasadena TX is the 2nd/3rd largest city in Harris County, South East of Houston.

Being I'm an HCSO employee, I won't comment too much more. But I still can't believe reading/seeing this article...

BrianS
08-12-10, 20:53
This is Pasadena Texas, not California.

My bad, I just quickly scanned the article and noted that they said the charges were being dropped entirely and it sounded so damn California (I thought better of Texas, no offense). But can you comment on Texas law? Is there no such thing as not guilty by reason of insanity in your state? No civil commitment for dangerous mentally ill offenders?

mr_smiles
08-12-10, 21:05
So he's going to a state ran facility for the criminally insane for the rest of his life right? If he's crazy enough to kill people he surely shouldn't be part of a society that frowns on such a thing.

Longhorn
08-12-10, 21:14
My bad, I just quickly scanned the article and noted that they said the charges were being dropped entirely and it sounded so damn California (I thought better of Texas, no offense). But can you comment on Texas law? Is there no such thing as not guilty by reason of insanity in your state? No civil commitment for dangerous mentally ill offenders?

In all honesty - no, I cannot comment on that as I'm a recent Texan transplant and am not versed on that just yet. And no harm, no foul...a Native Texan may take offense to likening Texas to Cali, but by the basis of the article I can understand how such an assumption could take place :P

I'm "just" a Jailer. I'm not up to snuff yet on Texas Code outside of the stuff Texas says I need to know in order to be a Detention Officer. Hopefully this weekend I'll know whether I'm in the Deputy Academy we're fixing to run, but I'd rather not give out the wrong information on anything I find/found on Google vs what I'm looking at straight from the TX Code governing such action(s).

arizonaranchman
08-13-10, 10:13
In this case I would 100% support a public mob lynching. If our justice system will not do whats right then justice falls on the people.

:D:D:D:D:D:D

kaiservontexas
08-13-10, 12:09
All because when he was in lock down the day before for being a drunk driver and they forgot a pill . . . I want to know what type of medication. Is it a anti-psychotic? Is it some anti-depressant? What is his mental disorder/disease? I am willing to bet he is not insane by any means. Depression does not cut it. Psychophrenia would be believable. They will sort that out real quick in compentency hearings. His defense is grasping at straws so he does not get the needle.

Littlelebowski
08-13-10, 12:12
Guys, the medication needed to treat schizophrenia is real, necessary, and it works. I am not taking the murderer's side but rather relating from experience with a relative.

My thoughts are with the fallen officer's family.

John_Wayne777
08-13-10, 12:40
If he was schizo missing a single dose of his meds wouldn't be enough to push him from sanity to violent nutter. The drugs take some time to kick in, and take some time to kick back out.

If he went off his meds, prior to that (highly likely) then that was his decision and he should be held fully responsible for the consequences.

Littlelebowski
08-13-10, 12:41
If he was schizo missing a single dose of his meds wouldn't be enough to push him from sanity to violent nutter. The drugs take some time to kick in, and take some time to kick back out.

If he went off his meds, prior to that (highly likely) then that was his decision and he should be held fully responsible for the consequences.

Not arguing with any of that.

kaiservontexas
08-13-10, 13:12
I saw this on the local 2 last night. They said the reason was because while in Harris County Sheriff's custody he missed his medication. It was only for that day. Nobody has ever said what his medication is treating. They keep it vauge, but even if they file in this manner they still have to hold a compentency hearing to conclude if he is nuts or not . . .

Todd.K
08-13-10, 14:25
A lot of those pills DON'T WORK with alcohol, so realistically he was probably off his meds shortly after HE CHOSE to drink.

Cascades236
08-13-10, 17:02
But what is someone who is so volatile that they can get away with murder for missing one dose doing walking amongst free men?

Longhorn
08-13-10, 19:24
But what is someone who is so volatile that they can get away with murder for missing one dose doing walking amongst free men?

That's the $64,000 question here...

Littlelebowski
08-13-10, 21:10

How does one test for "urge to murder?"

RyanB
08-14-10, 03:45
The McNoughton Rule is not easy to use... they'd have to prove that he was incapable of telling right from wrong. It's not often used successfully.

Cascades236
08-14-10, 07:01
How does one test for "urge to murder?"

Who knows?
But obviously someone was able to adminaster a test that concluded that this fool is incapable of knowing right from wrong and can't be held accountable for cold blooded murder if he missed a dose of medication.