PDA

View Full Version : Keep working...the Obamas need another vacation...

Belmont31R
08-12-10, 17:29
The old saying was, "Keep working...millions on welfare depend on you!"

At the expense it costs these clowns to fly around it has to be costing us tens of millions of dollars. Not only does AF1 burn tens of thousands of dollars worth of fuel there is tons of personnel to shift around, they have to transport the helicopters, the vehicles, ect.

Just in July and August the next two vacations will make FIVE vacations in 60 days, and NINE since 01JAN10.

We can still post links right?

http://politics.usnews.com/news/blogs/washington-whispers/2010/8/11/obamas-plan-fifth-vacation-since-july.html

Cascades236
08-12-10, 17:35
I don't know about tens of millions of dollars but having based his run for election on "Change" his little trips to his variation of the ranch feel rather par for the course.

Hell, it's not like there's anything important to get done, he accepted his NO Saints jersey last week.

dennisuello
08-12-10, 17:36
think about it this way, the more time he spends vacationing, the less time he spends destroying the country and economy, so it might be cheaper in the long run.

Titleist
08-12-10, 17:51
Umm, not to piss on your fire, but Bush took 977 days of vacation, that's 33 percent of his combined terms.

Not that I like Obama, but come on...

chadbag
08-12-10, 17:53
Umm, not to piss on your fire, but Bush took 977 days of vacation, that's 33 percent of his combined terms.

How many of those days were to his ranch? My understanding is that he continued his POTUS job while there, so every day there may not have been a vacation day, but rather a "work from home day".

randolph
08-12-10, 17:54

and if you had kept reading, you would have discovered the majority of Bush's vacations were in Crawford, Tx. or Camp David.

Entourage not required :p

Belmont31R
08-12-10, 18:53

He can work just the same from his ranch of Camp David. Camp David is not a resort like these people go to. Its a gov owned entity where presidents have gone for official purposes. I do recall Bush "serving" from there multiple times for official purposes.

I don't recall the Bushes going on these lavish resort trips. I heard on the news Michele Obamas Spain trip being compared to Laura Bush's trip to Africa, and while Mrs. Bush was in Africa she was acting as a representative for the US for humaniatarian purposes. It wasnt a joy ride to a top 30 resort hotel.

You also recall Bush used his ranch for foreign relations, and had heads of state there. He was still working on behalf of the US while there. Not all the time but you can't really count that as vacation time if he is still serving the public good.

But yeah I do think our elected officals take too much vacation time compared to the average citizen. Not exusing Bush or anyone else but Obama's trips seem to be especially over the top. Its a kick in the nuts when 2 weeks ago he was talking about how the economy is affecting his family as well, and then they have a series of ridiculously expensive trips lined up.

M4arc
08-12-10, 18:59
think about it this way, the more time he spends vacationing, the less time he spends destroying the country and economy, so it might be cheaper in the long run.

It doesn't matter where Obama is or what he's up to because Pelosi and her thugs will destroy the country whether he's on vacation or not.

Alric
08-12-10, 19:41
This seems like a good place to start cutting government spending.

BrianS
08-12-10, 19:46
Since these vacations involve the expenditure of millions of dollars of taxpayer money I think they need to be restricted to certain locations by statute. Camp David or a family estate in the US (ala Bush Crawford Ranch) are places that should be authorized by statute. 60 rooms in a luxury resort in Spain for all the security and entourage not so much.

ralph
08-12-10, 21:26
Speaking of Camp David, Has Obama ever been there since he became pres.? I'm not sure, but I don't think he's been there once..It's almost like he avoids the place...Not good enough for him??

mattjmcd
08-12-10, 23:14
Speaking of Camp David, Has Obama ever been there since he became pres.? I'm not sure, but I don't think he's been there once..It's almost like he avoids the place...Not good enough for him??

You don't think Michelle's gonna waste all that fabulousity on something so pedestrian as Camp David, do you? Y'all better recognize!

thopkins22
08-12-10, 23:31
How many of those days were to his ranch? My understanding is that he continued his POTUS job while there, so every day there may not have been a vacation day, but rather a "work from home day".

What do you think Obama is doing on vacation? Having calls from the Secretary of Defense forwarded to voicemail?;)

And for what it's worth, I guarandamntee you that when GWB went to Crawford the whole kit and kaboodle and entourage came along. Those Secret Service agents slept in tents?

CarlosDJackal
08-13-10, 10:55
They just took one yesterday. The First lady and one of the kids came to Thomas Jefferson's home and caused a lot of hoopla.

jaydoc1
08-13-10, 11:19
The majority of working americans get two weeks a year vacation which they fund themselves. I'd suggest that if El Presidente wants additional weeks off, that's fine, but I'd also suggest that he and his family's trips are privately funded. He wants to pick up the tab for all the expense these trips cost, great. Otherwise stick to two weeks off a year like the rest of the country and still pick up your own tab. He's not any different than anyone else's employee (nor is anyone else in the government). Pay for your own vacations.

chadbag
08-13-10, 11:23
What do you think Obama is doing on vacation? Having calls from the Secretary of Defense forwarded to voicemail?;)

There is a difference between spending a day in the home office and taking the occasional can't wait call or meeting virtually.

I am not saying Bush spent every day in Crawford at the home office, but I seriously doubt that all 977 or whatever days someone claims Bush spent on "vacation" was "vacation" like Obama takes in ME, HI, Chicago, etc.

And for what it's worth, I guarandamntee you that when GWB went to Crawford the whole kit and kaboodle and entourage came along. Those Secret Service agents slept in tents?

Surf
08-13-10, 12:20
Don't take this post wrong, as I did not vote for President Obama and will not in the future.

Having said that, most people have no clue what the expenses and the logistics behind a Presidential move / trip are.

FWIW - On his personal vacations, he does pay for his own lodgings / personal expenses, but you can bet the Feds pick up the tab for everything else involving staff / security. However the President has no say in the matter whether or not his staff or protection details go with him. It isn't his choice.

Does he pay for jet fuel? No, but he is required to travel on AF1, or other alternate jets. But jet fuel is only a small part of costs in the big picture. Sure there could be trimming of the "Fat" no doubt, but the President (no matter who it is) can only chose his vacations. He has little choice as to who / what is involved with it, from a logistical standpoint.

I will say that his "Camp David" is a 10 or so day trip to Hawaii every Christmas / New Years. Now if anyone has worked or seen a one or two day Presidential visit and what goes along with it, can you imagine a 10 day continuous visit. It's costly and grueling. Trust me, if the cost and distance to Hawaii was less, there would be more trips to Hawaii.

I will also add, that the Martha's Vineyard trip, is not the first choice for vacation spots, but it is an easier / less expensive trip than the first choice. So there is some consideration for logistics and costs going on. He is the President, but he does get input from certain someones about technical matters. You just need to "suggest" things to any President in the proper manner. :)

John_Wayne777
08-13-10, 12:44
Folks, he's POTUS...there's no off duty for POTUS. He has to be connected and protected at all times. So does his family. Yes, it's expensive. Yes, they could probably use the resources provided for them by the public better.

...but let's not get silly about this.

Safetyhit
08-13-10, 16:02
Folks, he's POTUS...there's no off duty for POTUS. He has to be connected and protected at all times. So does his family. Yes, it's expensive. Yes, they could probably use the resources provided for them by the public better.

...but let's not get silly about this.

I think the point is that in a painful recession he could both set an example of how to spend less when it matters and also patronize American destinations that could use the revenue.

GermanSynergy
08-13-10, 16:34
I think the point is that in a painful recession he could both set an example of how to spend less when it matters and also patronize American destinations that could use the revenue.

I agree, but I don't think it's "stylish" enough for these two.....

Left Sig
08-13-10, 22:42
I agree, but I don't think it's "stylish" enough for these two.....

And that's the problem. The pedestrian USA is not good enough for them. They think they are movie star celebrities and not public servants.

If they had any clue they would have vacationed in one of the areas of the Gulf of Mexico close to but unaffected by the oil spill. Or even the Atlantic coast of Florida. Just SOMETHING to put some money into the US economy instead of another country.

SteyrAUG
08-13-10, 23:21

Saved me some typing. I think he should go on a world tour until the next election. This way he will have a better understanding of global needs.

arizonaranchman
08-14-10, 09:54
These morons are anti-American radicals. They're laughing at us every day as they piss on the flag and simultaneously spend us into economic collapse. Once that happens they've got "the plan" to rescue us - a la an ironfisted communist state.

They're elitists who despise this nation and everything that made it great.