PDA

View Full Version : bcm barrels and gas blocks

shogun
08-12-10, 18:50
I have a standard 16inch mid length BCM barrel. I need a gas block/fixed front sight for it and also have a 11.5 inch BCM barrel (which I'd like to change to a low profile gas block). Would the gas block from the 11.5 inch fit the 16 inch?

spamsammich
08-12-10, 19:47
I have a standard 16inch mid length BCM barrel. I need a gas block/fixed front sight for it and also have a 11.5 inch BCM barrel (which I'd like to change to a low profile gas block). Would the gas block from the 11.5 inch fit the 16 inch?

BCM taper pins are a mother bitch to remove without the right tools. There is no reason why the FSB from the 11.5" barrel wouldnt fit it if they are both .75" gas blocks, but you cannot guarantee that the pin holes will line up if that 16" barrel is already drilled for taper pins.

Col_Crocs
08-12-10, 19:49
If neither is a LW then you should be gtg in terms of fitting.
If I understand correctly, your 11.5 comes with an FSB and your 16 is stripped and that you want to get a low pro GB for your 11.5 and transfer the FSB onto the 16?
How about just getting a new FSB for 29.95 for your 16 and just shave down the FSB on your 11.5 to make a low pro GB?

Hmac
08-12-10, 20:15
I'm using some 9 inch Lite rails on a 11.5 inch stripped BCM barrel I bought, so the gas block is under the rail. Even so, I want it pinned. I bought a lo-pro gas block from Rainier and sent the barrel to them to get the second dimple drilled and get the gas block pinned. Rainier gets $30 for that job, about the same as ADCO.

shogun
08-13-10, 02:45
thanks for the info. The 16inch barrel is new and hasn't been drilled for taper pins yet.

Another stupid question: Has BCM released a 11.5 inch lightweight barrel before? This gun is sort of a hand me down and I am on my first build with the 16inch so I really have new idea if this is lightweight or not.

spamsammich
08-13-10, 09:28
Another stupid question: Has BCM released a 11.5 inch lightweight barrel before? This gun is sort of a hand me down and I am on my first build with the 16inch so I really have new idea if this is lightweight or not.

Recently BCM has been shipping 16" LW middies with .625" gas blocks, I happen to have a LW middy from them with a .750" block. To my knowledge they have not released a LW in 11.5". Measure the diameter of the barrel under the gas block to be sure.

shogun
08-13-10, 20:02
@spamsammich: great, it fits! thanks!