PDA

View Full Version : Refinishing a barrel

M4arc
07-27-06, 21:22
Okay, my 10.5" LMT is showing quite a bit of rust around the FSB and under the handguards. Since I was planning on picking up a new DD Lite rail for it anyway I figured that when I broke it down I'd just refinish the barrel and FSB with something. I don't know what that something should be so I'm asking here, what should I use to refinish the barrel to prevent any more rust?

subzero
07-27-06, 21:31
Sounds to me a like a perfect excuse to bust out the ol' rattle can. I figure some of that high heat barbeque spray paint would do well on a barrel. Cost effective, too.

dubb-1
07-27-06, 23:05
KG is cheap and effective. It also makes a great base for krylon (if that's your thing).

Not_A_Llama
07-28-06, 01:52
Norrel's is also a good choice.

I do wonder if coating under the FSB will cause clearance issues, though.

Robb Jensen
07-28-06, 03:39
I GunKoted my 11.5" barrel on my SBR since it will live it's entire life completely under the cutdown 12.0 Larue rail. It works well.

I did it after removing the factory F post, installing the Larue bbl nut, and installing the Larue gas block w/Rocksett. So the barrel and gas block are KG GunKoted Moly satin black.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/1fc5f20c.jpg

Marc, If you don't have an airbrush or have GunKote send me your bbl I'll spray/bake it.

M4arc
08-01-06, 15:25
Marc, If you don't have an airbrush or have GunKote send me your bbl I'll spray/bake it.

Thanks man, I may just take you up on that offer when I get round to replacing my MI rail with one of the new DD Lite rails. I appreciate it.

SHIVAN
08-01-06, 21:44
What about Aluma-Hyde II??? I have a hunting gun that I am going to do the barrel on...

Why?

Cause I farked up the old sight and then ground them off. :rolleyes:

So it looks "Bubba" right now, hope to make it look better with some matte black.

Robb Jensen
08-02-06, 03:36
What about Aluma-Hyde II??? I have a hunting gun that I am going to do the barrel on...

Why?

Cause I farked up the old sight and then ground them off. :rolleyes:

So it looks "Bubba" right now, hope to make it look better with some matte black.

I've used Aluma-Hyde on a Mossberg 590 that my wife bought dirt cheap. The barrel had a little rust on it and so did the heat shield. I scrubbed it off and the used the Aluma-Hyde II on it. It takes a week to cure and goes on kinda thick compared to GunKote or Norrells but it's good pretty tough stuff. I also did my brothers Remington 510 TargetMaster .22 rifle that was almost completely void of all finish and it came out well too, I also refinished the stock and now the rifle looks brand new (it was all beat up and didn't have any collector value anyway).

mark5pt56
08-02-06, 19:27
Marc, Clean it and give it to me, I have the Aluma-Hyde II, what ever color you want-flat black/od/D tan/Coyote or earth brown-even stainless steel gray or parkerizing gray!

Mark

M4arc
08-03-06, 10:08
Marc, Clean it and give it to me, I have the Aluma-Hyde II, what ever color you want-flat black/od/D tan/Coyote or earth brown-even stainless steel gray or parkerizing gray!

Mark

Ah, thanks for the offer as well!

I'm not going to bother until I tear it down to install either a DD Lite or LaRue rail. When I get ready to do that I'll let you know.

mark5pt56
08-03-06, 12:22
The trick with AH II is to heat the part up--and the can as well, you will be amazed of how it sprays on, flows and is alot thinner.

SuicideHz
08-03-06, 12:45
I just tried to do my barrel and several other parts with KG and had a horrible experience. I've used Duracoat in the past and my finishes have always been very very nice. The KG just did not cooperate.

I spoke with someone today who said the parts to be sprayed with KG actually have to be kept between 115d and 130d F while spraying. That's not a problem with my SS barrel, but I think the aluminum parts cool too quickly- especially considering I would warm them in the oven all at the same time on a "specially designed" rack that requires me to remove all parts at the same time.

dubb-1
08-03-06, 22:21
Maybe the laws of physics are different in our shop.:confused:

SuicideHz
08-03-06, 23:22
Meaning?

I do have to say the original KG on my barrel was Awesome with a capital "A" when it left your shop the first time...

Nitrox
08-03-06, 23:40
I have sprayed KG from 50 degrees to 90 degrees and have not had a problem. I have pre-heated the parts but usually do not.

I think there is something else going on with your setup because KG is a better product than duracoat.

If you want to send me the parts I will spray them for you.

K.L. Davis
08-04-06, 00:11
Maybe the laws of physics are different in our shop.:confused:

There is a spot... near the back of an old collapsed drainage pipe that runs from just shy of the nearest ammo bunker and along side a strange grey building with no doors or windows -- at this spot, about as far back in as a man can crawl, there is some sort of strange vortex that changes democrats into normal people.

At least all of them that I have stuffed in there have not been a problem since.

eta: seems to work well on hippies too

Dave Berryhill
08-04-06, 09:23
...at this spot, about as far back in as a man can crawl, there is some sort of strange vortex that changes democrats into normal people...

LOL!

You don't have to pre-heat your parts with Gun Kote but the results are usually worth it. This makes the solvent carrier flash off so you're not as likely to get runs. If you're using a spray can, consider investing in an air brush. You'll get much better results, especially in small areas, corners, etc.

SuicideHz
08-04-06, 10:22
There is a spot... near the back of an old collapsed drainage pipe that runs from just shy of the nearest ammo bunker and along side a strange grey building with no doors or windows -- at this spot, about as far back in as a man can crawl, there is some sort of strange vortex that changes democrats into normal people.

At least all of them that I have stuffed in there have not been a problem since.

eta: seems to work well on hippies too

That's good! I didn't think it was going to go anywhere until the punchline. That's why they call it a punchline though...

Back on topic- I think it was just too humid when I tried. I did some sandblasting last night and there was a lot of water in my compressor :mad:

Nitrox
08-04-06, 10:41
you need to either use a longer hose or get a filter for your compressor.

AR15barrels
08-04-06, 11:09

K.L.D-

I think my workshop is next door to that vortex.
Almost all my neighbors have been changed over after coming into my shop and playing with the toys.

Randall

eklikewhoa
08-10-06, 07:42
i would go with norrells, it goes on pretty thing and pretty simple to spray.

SuicideHz
08-10-06, 09:03
Now I've got a water trap and we'll see how it goes once the humidity subsides...