PDA

View Full Version : AAR EAG Carbine 22-24June07

Pat_Rogers
06-26-07, 19:36
EAG Conducted a Carbine Operators Course in Albion MI, 22-24 June 2004. This was our third time back at Albion, and the first that the WX was absolutely superb- a complete difference with the 95+ temps and 95% humidity that is well known under the bridge at this time of the year.
While the class was relatively free of gun related problems, some will always creep up.
One shooter had a POF lower and another makers upper (Good looking gun). He ran into some major feeding issues, and while some was related to lube (grease Vs oil), the rest was tracked down to magazines. In this case, FDE PMAG’s. The gun ran with a black PMAG as well as GI mags, but not the FDE PMAG’s.
We talked to Rich Fitzpatrick about this later and he advised there might be some issues with the colored mags cooling at a different rate.
As always, contact MagPul directly if you have an issue.
One shooter came into class on TD3 and stated while cleaning his carbine the night before, he noticed that the bolt was cracked around the cam pin hole. This was a bushmaster bolt, but the shooter states the gun has in excess of 20k rds through it so no foul on this- it had exceeded its probable service life.
One shooter had a Robinson XCR. It is the first I have ever seen in class (though 3 will be in the first July Boone County class) and while one is not a significant statistical representation, I was underwhelmed.
The shooter had some issues with it that were undoubtedly he being unfamiliar with the gun- and he struggled through with it at times.
There were some extraction issues, as well as mag issues. Truthfully, I didn’t have time to spend with it to analyze problems, so I’ll stand back until I see a hundred or so in class to make an informed decision.
One shooter had an RAA Gov model, which ran pretty well until the shooting got heavy, When the barrel started smoking (think drills that require 3-5 mags) it failed to extract regularly. It could have been a too tight chamber or poor extractor/ springs. But it was at the very end of the class, and it will be on him to rectify it.
Ammo will be a problem for the foreseeable future, or until China gets nuked by the free world, whichever comes first. Wolf is starting to look better right now, especially as compared to other makes (think Q3131A and other garbage).
Having said that, if you plan on training in the next 18 months, you better have your ammo ordered or in hand pretty quick. If you request a seat in class and then don’t show up because you couldn’t get ammo, too bad, so sad. That will be your problem, and not someone else’s.

The Albion class always has a good mix, and this was no exception. There were several shooters who were experience pistol people, but with little carbine experience. The fact that they were there to learn (and did a credible job) makes this job fun and very rewarding.

Shooting isn’t fighting, and the difference is almost always startling to those who didn’t realize it. There are a lot of ways to manipulate the gun, but a fair percentage of them are inefficient and a waste of time. Establishing TTP’s that work can avoid a lot of heartache down the line.

Thanks to Sensei Jay Tuttle for his help and words of wisdom- in Engrish and Japanese. Thanks also to Dennis Chinonis and Clint Wirtz for getting this going, and Stephen O for not making me do his certificate over again; Spectacle Lake Sportsmans Club for the use of their fine facility. Negative vibes for the butthole across the lake who complains about the noise. I hope he enjoyed the kids graduation party last year among the volley’s of NSR’s….
Thanks to Viking Tactics, Larue Tactical, Camelbak, Eagle Industries, Slip 2000 and Aimpoint for their continued support.

dubb-1
06-26-07, 20:36
I couldn't be more upset about not being able to train with you again, Pat. But, I swear, the weight on my shoulders has me looking like my favorite Irish gunfighter, right now.:eek:

Thanks for continuing to support us.

Pat_Rogers
06-27-07, 04:38
We missed you there Brother, but i understand how life comes at you in spurts.
We won't be back in MI next year, but you are always welcome at any of my classes.

macman37
06-27-07, 07:07
We missed you there Brother, but i understand how life comes at you in spurts.
We won't be back in MI next year, but you are always welcome at any of my classes.

RATS

That answers that. I had hoped to make your class in '08 if you were going to be back. My firearms and training budget didn't allow me to get to a class in '07 but I will be ready for one in '08.

My loss. :(

Pat_Rogers
06-27-07, 09:16
Bullets- i understand that there are priorities in life. Putting off taking a class (any class, not just an EAG class) may not be wise.
Ammo prices will likely hit $550/ 1000 for 5.56 shortly, and not likely to get better.
Add to that an unstable political climate, and you can catch my drift.
Just FYI.