PDA

View Full Version : How to make these cuts in a 4x4?

CENTCOM_Survivor
08-13-10, 00:20
I'm looking to build a pull-up station and I'm trying to figure out how to make these cuts with standard power tools (skill saw, jig saw, rotozip, sawzall, etc). I don't have anything fancy like a table saw.
Thanks!
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa37/KAILUAZ/outdoorbars02.jpg
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa37/KAILUAZ/outdoorbars01.jpg

warpigM-4
08-13-10, 00:47
I would think A sawzall could do that

Surf
08-13-10, 01:15
The easiest way would be with a sliding compound mitre saw, or a radial arm saw. You would make a series of small cuts (slices) and chiseling them out. You could also make a jig to do it on a table saw or using a circular saw. As mentioned above you could use a sawzall but it would be more difficult than say freehanding a circular saw by rotating the blade guard and making plunge type cuts.

bkb0000
08-13-10, 02:08
i wouldn't.. i'd use a spade bit to drill out a hole and let the bar bear on the posts. screws have no sheer value, and rust/rot out.

thru-bolt to keep the bar from spinning

Erik 1
08-13-10, 07:46
That would also be a hell of a lot easier.

CENTCOM_Survivor
08-13-10, 07:49
i wouldn't.. i'd use a spade bit to drill out a hole and let the bar bear on the posts. screws have no sheer value, and rust/rot out.

thru-bolt to keep the bar from spinning

My original plan was to just use two posts and drill them out as you mentioned. I have a bar from Lowes with the two end caps.
I'm a little concerned that there wont be enough support with just the two posts (I'm 240#s) so I was thinking of going with the three posts for good support. I'm going to be doing pull ups along with ring type exercises.
I guess I could make a few cuts and chisel a flat spot, then drill out the holes?

Surf
08-13-10, 11:59
Another easy option, if you want to drill the post to bear the load and since you have the pipe and caps, is to drill all the way through the post. Then insert the bar all the way through the posts, thread on the end caps and screw them into the post from the opposite side. This will also keep the post from spinning without needing to drill the pipe and picking up through bolts.

Making a series of small kerf cuts and knocking them out with a chisel is pretty simple for this with just a circular saw set at a certain depth, free hand. So basically your flats will be on the opposite side of the post.

kaiservontexas
08-13-10, 12:03
Nice, I use the ones like that in the park myself. I wish I had my own.

CENTCOM_Survivor
08-13-10, 21:19
Thanks everyone for the ideas and help; I ended up just going with a standard two post setup. The added cost of materials (4x4, bars, cement, etc) was a bit more than I wanted to spend.
After reading a bunch of posts over at Crossfit.com I went with a screw-in mount on one side and a through hole in the other. I made three heights (top for rings and climbing rope) and I can use the same bar on each one.
Anyway here it is waiting for the cement to dry:
http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz293/CENTCOM_Survivor/Home%20Gym/pullupbars3copy.jpg

Heavy Metal
08-13-10, 21:22
You could do four posts and avoid the fancy cuts.

I have been thinking about building a pull-up station too.

What was it a friend once told me?

"A good Engineer solves a problem, a great Engineer avoids it in the first place." :)

MarshallDodge
08-13-10, 21:54
I have a tree in the backyard with a branch that will support me. :D

Your setup looks good.

Heavy Metal
08-13-10, 22:10
I may have to add a 5th short post but I think I can also incorporate a dip station into my set-up

orionz06
08-13-10, 22:14
You could do four posts and avoid the fancy cuts.

I have been thinking about building a pull-up station too.

What was it a friend once told me?

"A good Engineer solves a problem, a great Engineer avoids it in the first place." :)

exactly