PDA

View Full Version : Drop Leg Style Mag Carrier?

chubs
08-13-10, 13:12
My shift was sitting around last night discussing some alternatives to an active shooter chest rig and someone mentioned this idea. The original thought process centered around running 2-3 rifle mags along the quad area of the leg (something like 12, 1 and 3 o'clock).

While I've been slowing bringing a chest rig together (at least in theory), this idea gave me something to think about. Has anyone run anything even remotely similar to this? Thoughts?

rushca01
08-13-10, 13:27
Let me preface by saying I am low speed high drag but this sounds like a horrible idea. I was at an EAG class this summer and there was someone wearing one of these, let's just say he was the laughing stock of the real high speed low drag guys. As Pat Rogers would say, it's not time to play dress up. Stick with a chest rig or battle belt.

Chameleox
08-13-10, 13:40
I thought about this a few months ago, but went in a different direction. My original plan was to use a quick-release MOLLE leg platform, and attach provisions for 3-4 mags and a small VOK.

Something like this:http://www.skdtac.com/HSGI_Mini_Drop_Leg_Panel_Modular_p/hsg.308.htm

with a little of this:http://www.skdtac.com/HSGI_Universal_Mag_Pouch_Modular_Double_p/hsg.223.htm

And a side of this:http://www.skdtac.com/HSGI_Universal_Mag_Pouch_Modular_Double_p/hsg.223.htm

Not that I have any particular thing for HSGI; the pieces look like they'd work fine, and what gear I do have of theirs I like. Just to show concept.

I liked this idea because the leg rig could sit in my cruiser bag and not take up any more space, or be flopping around the passenger seat or stuck in the trunk, and the setup is pretty low profile, and wouldn't attract too much attention. This is an important aspect for some LEOs, as extra gear gets you unwanted attention, from inside and outside the department, regardless of its usage or mindset behind it.

However, after all that, I went with a used SKD/Eagle chest rig that I picked up on EE. I found that trying to reload from a leg rig is a PITA, even when stationary, so this was a huge no-go.

The rig also made more sense to me as I was switching assignments, and wouldn't want a drop leg tab hanging off my belt all the time.

That's just my experience, and my reasoning. It might work better for you than me.

rushca: any particular reason

chubs
08-13-10, 15:12
Let me preface by saying I am low speed high drag but this sounds like a horrible idea. I was at an EAG class this summer and there was someone wearing one of these, let's just say he was the laughing stock of the real high speed low drag guys. As Pat Rogers would say, it's not time to play dress up. Stick with a chest rig or battle belt.

The bolded part I'm not concerned about. If it works, it works. As I said, this was an idea that got tossed in the ring during a quick bite to eat and I wanted to see if anyone had made it work, or decided against it for whatever reason.

Chameleox, appreciate the input. What was the biggest hangup with reloading?

Chameleox
08-13-10, 15:30
Off of a leg rig, your reloads will be dependent on your leg position relative to your body. This means that your leg being farther forward or back than you're used to will slow you down a little (think static foot position, on stairs, in car, etc). In addition, if trying to reload while moving, you'll be trying to hit a moving target on your thigh.
Off handed reloads are especially tough from a leg rig.

Chest or even belt mounting your magazines makes all these reload possibilities a lot easier.

whiterabbit05
08-13-10, 16:15
Good way to carry extra mags on your weak side, but I wouldn't use it as my primary mag carrier.

chubs
08-13-10, 18:33
Off of a leg rig, your reloads will be dependent on your leg position relative to your body. This means that your leg being farther forward or back than you're used to will slow you down a little (think static foot position, on stairs, in car, etc). In addition, if trying to reload while moving, you'll be trying to hit a moving target on your thigh.
Off handed reloads are especially tough from a leg rig.

Chest or even belt mounting your magazines makes all these reload possibilities a lot easier.

Good point, and something I don't think any of us had thought about when the suggestion was brought up.

Thanks for the input.

GLOCKMASTER
08-13-10, 18:51
Also something else to think about, Do you really want something like that on your leg while you are running? I do not like having sub loads on my legs because they tend to move around a lot when running and can be a nuisance.

sammage
08-13-10, 20:59
Also something else to think about, Do you really want something like that on your leg while you are running? I do not like having sub loads on my legs because they tend to move around a lot when running and can be a nuisance.

Ditto. If you want an approximation of this annoyance, try putting some loaded mags or something similar in the cargo pockets of some pants, and then run around a bit.

Joe R.
08-13-10, 22:31
I agree with JFreuler and sammage on this one. I was around back in the bad old days of SWAT where we wore spare mags on the leg and it was a pain in the butt.

I use a bag to hold spare mags for active shooter sitauations. There are a bunch on the market and can be had in just about any size you want. I have one that I got from BCM (not sure of the model right now). Easy to grab and just drop over your head and shoulder and your off.

Chameleox
08-13-10, 22:37
Look at the evolution of domestic L/E SWAT teams' gear loadouts. For the most part, those that do run drop leg platforms on their weak side are using it to carry items that for the most part don't need to be grabbed in as much of a hurry as a weapon or reload. Think bangs, chemicals, gas masks. Its evolved into a spot for second line gear.
[/deadhorse]

Joe R. might be talking about the US Peacekeeper active shooter bag. Good piece of gear; I had one for a while.

Heavy Metal
08-13-10, 23:36

Jeff nails it.

For the third time tonight, this quote of Rand Simberg's applies:

"A good Engineer solves a problem, a great Engineer avoids it."

I use a device on my ALS to drop it from the belt just enough to clear my chest rig on the drawstroke. I do not like drop leg anything that attaches to the leg itself because that is just mass that is working against me that I am having to constantly accelerate it forward and then 180 degrees to the rear, then forward again....rinse...lather...repeat....ad nauseaum......:fie:

chubs
08-14-10, 10:04

True. The majority of the guys that were looking at this as a potential option wanted to stay away from another carrier thrown over the chest. I think most of them saw this as a more attractive move, for them, than toting your basic carrier setup.

titsonritz
08-19-10, 16:54
Good way to carry extra mags on your weak side, but I wouldn't use it as my primary mag carrier.

Exactly. I have a have a fastex load hanger on my first line gear, if I want/need for more firepower I snap on my O.S.O.E. Rallyman Subload. It will pack 6 AR mags or 4 AK mags or 4 M14/G3/FAL mags plus 2 pistol mags. The very rigid subload panel combined with twin leg straps w/ elastic keeps the unit secure and free from movement associated with lesser products. I can’t speak highly enough about the O.S.O.E. Rallyman Subload.

http://www.tacticalresponsegear.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=58&products_id=3451

markm
08-19-10, 17:36

Odd. Many of Pat's Lackies are pictured with thigh rigs for their pistols. Pat needs to go retire somewhere and tell his embellished stories to the other old farts in Lubby's cafeteria.

Failure2Stop
08-19-10, 18:02
I have gone through the sub-load a few times.
At first I didn't really know what I was doing and tried to carry 4 filled AR mags in it. Seemed fine until I carried it for a few weeks and got into a few fights with it. Lessons learned- wear it high (think mag at pocket level), wear it tight, stuff no more than 2 AR mags into it, attach it to a rigid belt, and don't let your trousers get bunched up under it.

Then I had to use one for a school (long, boring story) as a primary reload pouch. Lessons learned: if you are standing up the reload will be pretty much the same speed as a chest mounted mag, but measurably slower than a belt mounted mag; if you are moving or kneeling that time difference weighs heavily against the thigh-mounted mag; if you have to go to an unconventional position you have to go strong-side or you are going to want to burn your subload; it's a pain in the ass to back-fill if the pouches aren't rigid; if the pouches are rigid they will catch half the things you walk past; if you get in a fight you can grab the subload and grundle-wedgie the hell out of the wearer; they need to cover as little area on the leg as possible or your leg will feel like a hotdog in the microwave; if you are using a leg mounted pistol and a mag subload do not keep your earplugs in your slash pockets or drink Mexican water; and subloads are not compatible with belt mounted mags unless you spend a lot of time getting everything perfectly placed- which changes as soon as you anything more rigorous than play dress-up with your girlfriends.

There are some times that having no more than 2 mags on a properly positioned and supported subload works- 203 gunner, breacher carrying a bunch of other important crap on the chest, to supplement other mag placement for use while prone, and to rid you leg of unwanted hair in weird, mange-like patterns.

rushca01
08-19-10, 19:13
Odd. Many of Pat's Lackies are pictured with thigh rigs for their pistols. Pat needs to go retire somewhere and tell his embellished stories to the other old farts in Lubby's cafeteria.

Pistol thigh rigs are different then what I was reffering too. The rig system I am referring to is a drop leg system for carrying spare mags. Something like this: http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Omega-Elite-Enhanced-Dual-M-16Pistol-Mag-Pouch,416,111.htm

J_B
08-19-10, 22:10
John Willis', of OSOE, solution to this is what I call the "Pig Rig." 3 M4 mags, 3 shotshell holders hook & loop'd up front with a tear off compact VOK. H-harness has hook & loop on the horizontal strap for nametapes. I run a nametape and IR tabs on mine.

Pics of mine in the front seat of my car....
http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu240/J_B/OSOEPigRig001.jpg
http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu240/J_B/OSOEPigRig002.jpg
http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu240/J_B/OSOEPigRig003.jpg

chubs
08-19-10, 22:15
How hard is it to secure down when you first throw it on? Does the H Harness stay in place fairly well?

J_B
08-19-10, 22:19
How hard is it to secure down when you first throw it on? Does the H Harness stay in place fairly well?

It secures fine, at least for me, and there's a waist strap that you have to contend with. This is my only issue as it's not a bungee waist strap.

The h-harness doesn't move much, if any.

I've traded emails with downrangegear and he developed a bungee waist strap but his site is on a stand down for now.

Chameleox
08-20-10, 08:55
I find the SKD harness does fine as well, without the waist strap. Granted, you want to use it, but if you had to throw it over your shoulders and run, it would still be manageable.

BC520
08-20-10, 20:52

What the hell is this for?

halo2304
08-24-10, 18:56
I was planning to go this route for 3-gun but reading this thread brought up a few good points against it. I might still try it out. Right now I have an Eagle Ind. molle drop leg pannel with two AR mag pouches and a single pistol pouch. Ehh, we'll see. :rolleyes:

chubs
08-24-10, 20:30
I was planning to go this route for 3-gun but reading this thread brought up a few good points against it. I might still try it out. Right now I have an Eagle Ind. molle drop leg pannel with two AR mag pouches and a single pistol pouch. Ehh, we'll see. :rolleyes:

If you run that setup, let me know how it works out for you. Even though I have no plans of setting up anything like this, I'd be interested to see how it goes.