PDA

View Full Version : Anyone carry a M&P 9C in their cargo pocket?

D.O.A.F.S.
08-13-10, 17:34
Anyone carry a M&P compact in their cargo pocket? If so what holster do you use or recommend.

skyugo
08-13-10, 17:47
i don't even like having mags in my cargo pockets. anything heavier than a folded up sheet of paper bangs annoyingly against my knee :mad:

i've had some luck carrying a glock 26 in a galco horsehide pocket holster in the right front pocket of my carhartt pants. a bit big, but conceals pretty well really.

Ga Shooter
08-13-10, 17:49
i don't even like having mags in my cargo pockets. anything heavier than a folded up sheet of paper bangs annoyingly against my knee :mad:

+1 Anything that is not soft (gloves, hat, etc.) I find to be a distraction.

BadgerMan
08-13-10, 19:49
I can't stand having anything hard/heavy in my cargo pockets either. I tried carrying an airweight J-frame in my cargo pocket on my shorts to free up the front pocket but it was way too annoying. It stays in the front pocket and my keys go in the cargo pocket now. The only way I could see that not being too bad is if you have well fitting cargo pants, not shorts, and a holster that filled up the pocket pretty well so that the pistol couldn't move in it.

SteveL
08-13-10, 19:57
I've done it a couple of times lately. I just dropped my M&P 9c in the cargo pocket of my pants without a holster. It worked in a pinch, but I definitely don't recommend it for regular carry. Walking with the gun in my cargo pocket was pretty uncomfortable and it kept shifting in my pocket making me want to reach in and adjust it. If you're going to carry it for more than a few minutes I suggest you look for some other means of carry.

variablebinary
08-13-10, 20:11
What are the odds of you being able to draw your pistol before I stab you in the throat. Not very good

I only carry MRE snacks, paper, and gloves in my cargo pockets usually.

Anything hard and heavy is uncomfortable.

D.O.A.F.S.
08-13-10, 20:48
Thanks all, I do agree the cargo pocket is not an optimal option but....
I have a Raven phantom that I normally use, but during extended periods of driving (on a trip, not normal around town) find it very uncomfortable with a seat belt. I've tried an Uncle Mikes size 4 pocket holster and it works ok, but rotates around. Looking at the DeSantis Nemesis cargo pocket holster but interested in hearing from someone who has maybe tried one. Again I know it's not optimal but on a trip it's a better option then in the console until reaching the destination.

tampam4
08-13-10, 21:03
obviously if you are only talking about when driving, which you didn't state in the original post, that changes things a little bit. It probably won't move around and rotate too much when driving, but if you need it quickly, there is still the possibility of you fumbling with it on the draw, or trying to get a positive grip on it.

SWATcop556
08-13-10, 21:59
When I'm driving around town my M&P9c is either under my right leg or wedged in between the seat and console of my Yukon. On longer extended trips it's in between the seat and console. When I reach my destination it goes into the holster before I exit the car.

In re. to carrying it in your cargo pocket, for me it's a no go. If I have to move quickly and draw there's no way it's happening from the cargo pocket. With a good holster carrying can be comfortable. The reason I unholster in the vehicle is it's easier to access without jacking with the seatbelt. Is it ideal, no. But you have to weigh your options. In a vehicle crash I'm screwed because my gun just went flying. Working in Gangs, I frequently run across people I deal with professionally so you just have to weigh your own risks vs comfort. And I never said it was the only gun I carried. ;)

QuickStrike
08-14-10, 06:56
When I'm driving around town my M&P9c is either under my right leg or wedged in between the seat and console of my Yukon.

lol, you too? :D

I have considered just putting my g26 into my cargo shorts pocket.

But I don't feel comfortable feeling around in my cargo pocket under stress, for a pistol with an uncovered trigger area and no manual safety.

MichaelD
08-14-10, 09:11
The DeSantis Nemesis (style N38 size E1) works well as a pocket holster for the 9c.

usmcvet
08-14-10, 16:17
The DeSantis Nemesis is how I carry my G27. There are times at work where I switch to the cargo pocket of my Blauer Street Gear pants. The holster is more comfortable there while sitting for long periods of time. It is also more accessible while sitting in the cruiser. I is not as comfortable when walking in the cargo pocket.

Try it both ways and see what works best for you. I've used Krammer Pocket holsters, Galco pocket holsters and cheap Uncle Mikes pocket holsters. The Nemesis has been the best balance for me of comfort, cost and durability it also holds up well to wear. The Uncle Mikes holsters were/are kinda disposable.

As a side note if some one is in close and has a knife you will not be able to out draw them and you will need to attack them and take the knife away from them.

D.O.A.F.S.
08-14-10, 17:49
Thanks for the input guys, so no one has tried the one DeSantis makes specificly for use in a cargo pocket? It's actually wider and has provisions for a mag as well, the extra width keeps it from rotating.

usmcvet
08-14-10, 17:58
I did not know that was an option. If you plan to carry there go for it. My holster will at times rotat in my cargo pocket. I will have to look for one too.

D.O.A.F.S.
08-14-10, 18:30
Well I decided to just order one, it's only $30. If anyone wants to see it go to Desantis's web site and use this number M52BJE1Z0 . I should have it in a couple days, I'll keep you posted and give you my average joe review.

SteveL
08-14-10, 18:47
Well I decided to just order one, it's only $30. If anyone wants to see it go to Desantis's web site and use this number M52BJE1Z0 . I should have it in a couple days, I'll keep you posted and give you my average joe review.

That's kind of interesting. If the gun wouldn't rotate out of position it might not be so bad, but I can't help but think it would still be uncomfortable walking around with something that heavy in a cargo pocket, not to mention if you had to run for any reason. I could be wrong though and I look forward to reading your impressions on it after you receive it and try it out.

Sry0fcr
08-14-10, 20:05
I'll pass as already mentioned, it'll probably beat the shit out of your leg. My keys smacking me in the kneecap hurts enough just walking around God forbid I have to run or jog.

usmcvet
08-14-10, 20:08
It must depend on you pants. Mine is notnear my knee but my thigh. If it were near the knee I would agree it is a no go. I have two pockets on each thigh in the same spot/on top of each other. I use the external pocket with the velcro flap not the zipper pocket.

D.O.A.F.S.
08-23-10, 19:00
Well......... I've had a chance to try it out for a couple days. Not going to sugar coat it, I wouldn't recommend it. It didn't rotate around in my pocket but thats the only good thing about it. My primary thought on this was to use on long trips in the car, standing it's not easy to draw and in the car about impossible. Definutely need to keep looking, THANKS for the input everyone.

usmcvet
08-23-10, 19:56
What is preventing a seated draw? I am right hanthe and have the gun in my left front pocket or left cargo pocket. Is the center console or seat belt in the way? A seated draw is a novo in my pants pocket but a go in my left cargo pocket, if I am driving. Ankle carry is slow but excellent for a seated draw. I used to carry my 642 S&W that way, especially for road trips.

rathos
08-23-10, 23:43
I don't understand why its so hard to draw from a regular holster while seated in a car. If wearing a open cover garment I just move it to the outside of the seatbelt and I can easily get to my weapon. I have practiced drawing many times and its not hard at all with a concealment holster. Its actually easier then with my duty rig.