PDA

View Full Version : SB FL Dies and whe to use them??

awidener
08-13-10, 20:01
I currently use Redding type A, but I have a set of RCBS SB dies. My question is....when to use them? I've heard that you start using SB dies when extraction becomes difficult or around the 5th or 6th firing. Anyone know the lowdown on SB dies when loading for an AR?

Thanks,

Andy

Chris Rhines
08-13-10, 20:20
This is just me, but I use small base dies for any cases that will be run in a semiautomatic rifle. Some bad experiences in the past have me a little paranoid about chambering and extraction with reloaded .223.

-C

awidener
08-13-10, 20:43
This is just me, but I use small base dies for any cases that will be run in a semiautomatic rifle. Some bad experiences in the past have me a little paranoid about chambering and extraction with reloaded .223.

-C

I've run well over 1000 reloaded rounds FL sized with Redding type A's though. I guess it depends on the rifle.

Anybody else have experience with SB FL's when loading .223 for an AR?:confused:

Triton28
08-15-10, 08:33
I use SB dies.

Pros: All of your ammo should work.

Cons: Shorter case life (I assume), accuracy degradation from a FL (again, guessing).

All of this assumes of course that the SB die is bumping the shoulder back that extra little bit that it's supposed to. I've read about people taking measurements from a FL and SB die and actually seeing the FL sizes the case smaller. I can definitively relate my sample of one, which is every handload I've made with SB dies has fed, gone bang, and extracted without issue.

rdc0000
08-15-10, 18:34
never it's bs

m1a_scoutguy
08-16-10, 00:00
Here is my 2cents worth,,,:D I use these for ALL my reloading with all my Gas Guns,,,ARs,,M1s & M1a Rifles. Buy one "READ" the instructions and set your Sizeing Die up as stated & you will be good to go !!! I have 0 problems with all of my Gas guns using these ! I use Standard Dies for all my reloading. Check them out,,well worth the investment !! :)
http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/sid=67676/sku/Wilson_Case_Gauge_223_Rem

awidener
08-16-10, 06:18
Some for and some against SB FL dies. I can see the use for them in semi-auto gas/piston rifles. My current method of type A Redding's with competition shellholder's is working very well (Well over 2000 rounds with 0 failures.) Maybe I'll load a small batch with the SB FL die and compare groups/velocity etc... with regular loads.

rdc0000
08-16-10, 06:28
Case gauge is nice an RCBS case/cartridge mic is better -.002 is good enough clearance for semi auto usage. That is what those are for to see if you have sized it enough.

If you have issues with cases getting stuck or not feeding into the rifle then you need a gunsmith not a die.

Those dies came about because of commercial semi automatic rifles of yester year, I am stubborn and adamant that the SB die is not necessary and is an old myth. Never seen one used except on a Savage 99 and old Remington semi deer rifles. Even then I suspect it was unnecessary and the user was loading too hot for the rifle and getting sticky cases.

Have a nice day:smile::smile:

mike_556
08-16-10, 07:24
I was told to use SB dies when loading cases that have been fired in a FA weapon, such as the 249. Chambers are looser and the brass need more cold working in a SB die. Other brass normally found? Use FL dies properly adjusted and you'll be fine

565thOrd.
08-17-10, 08:34
Have never used them in my AR's ,M-i's or M1A'a and never had a problem.I believe the problem occurs with Military once fired brass that was fired in machine guns which have pretty large chambers.They may be needed then.

Artos
08-17-10, 09:08
I'm not sure where some of you are getting your info.

sb base dies are intended for custom chambers that are smaller than saami spec. where a fl may not be squeezing them down enough. Remember that they do not size the neck either, only the body & shoulder. The reason they do not adjust the neck is because These are really intended for tight neck bolt guns. Normally, a neck die with the correct bushing is used to get the correct neck tension after the sb has sized the case.

Why would you want to oversize a case smaller than the normal fl in a slutty chamber from an auto gun??

Stick to the fl dies unless you know the actual dimensions of the chamber...otherwise, you are simply going to overwork your brass.

MarshallDodge
08-17-10, 09:59
Stick to the fl dies unless you know the actual dimensions of the chamber...otherwise, you are simply going to overwork your brass.
Sounds like good advice. I use a standard Dillon carbide 223 sizing die and have had very few issues.

In my LR-308 I have had some issues with reloading machine gun brass but the chamber is pretty tight on that gun. I have a set of 308 small base dies that I am going to try to see if it makes a difference.

Thomas M-4
08-17-10, 10:14
I need to fire off a e-mail to Dillon about there dies because I have seen stated more than once that all Dillon rifle die are SB. From Dillon web site.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/Dillon_223_rem_sizing_die-98-14-311.htm

Any body know for sure?

KellyTTE
08-17-10, 10:53
We need Sinister in here. The whole "there's never a need for SB dies" line is dumberer.

ralph
08-17-10, 20:16
I need to fire off a e-mail to Dillon about there dies because I have seen stated more than once that all Dillon rifle die are SB. From Dillon web site.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/Dillon_223_rem_sizing_die-98-14-311.htm

Any body know for sure?

I don't think they are..I've been using them for about 3yrs..never a problem, loaded cases drop in and out of my case gage..they go in and out of my carbine as well..:D Dropping a fired case into my case gage shows about .003 sticking out the gage..So, it can't be working the brass too much. But, after following the link provided, Maybe they are..Learn something new every day..Anyway, they work well for me!

Thomas M-4
08-17-10, 21:46
I don't think they are..I've been using them for about 3yrs..never a problem, loaded cases drop in and out of my case gage..they go in and out of my carbine as well..:D Dropping a fired case into my case gage shows about .003 sticking out the gage..So, it can't be working the brass too much. But, after following the link provided, Maybe they are..Learn something new every day..Anyway, they work well for me!

Hey ralph I cant say with 100% confidence they are but I seem to remember reading an article in one of the Dillon catalogs stating they were because belt fed FA owners wanted it. And of coarse I cant find that catalog any more :sad: But I did find that post I linked to from Dillon web site.
It mite be the case were every manufacture of dies has there slightly different version of there SB die.

George63
08-19-10, 10:06
I use SB dies for range pick up mixed brass to bring them to a uniform size, after fireforming I try to match the brass to the chamber