PDA

View Full Version : Rifle Sights to aperture sights

platoonDaddy
08-14-10, 02:20
I have a 20" barrel with rifle sights (open) & IC for my 870. With my failing eyes and even wearing glasses, I have problems getting a site picture. Any suggestions on replacing these sights with aperture sights?

Don't want to purchase a Rifle Barrel for scope mounting, have one of them. Want a barrel for slugs, double-ought and bird shot, which is what the 20" barrel is designed for.

chris914
08-14-10, 05:53
I have Scattergun Technologies sights on both my 870 and 1100. I like them very much. They make a nice sight picture. I have even used the rear with the same front that you have on your barrel now with good results by removing the rear sight from the barrel entirely.

platoonDaddy
08-14-10, 06:04
I have Scattergun Technologies sights on both my 870 and 1100. I like them very much. They make a nice sight picture. I have even used the rear with the same front that you have on your barrel now with good results by removing the rear sight from the barrel entirely.

Do you have a picture of your setup, certainly would appreciate looking at it. If I understand you correctly:

You removed the rear sight and installed Scattergun Tech ghost sight and left the front sight. Is that correct? Or did you drill & tap the receiver to install their rear sight? If that is the case, I didn't want to tap the receiver, I use the 870 for trap and bird hunting.

chris914
08-14-10, 06:16
I drilled and tapped the receiver with a jig that I have. I understand the desire to keep a trap gun the way you need it to be. Maybe you should look into one of the Burris Speed Beads. It looked neat at SHOT but I don't have any experience with one.

platoonDaddy
08-14-10, 06:30
Thank you very much, will research Burris.

Again thanks

chris914
08-14-10, 07:12
http://i988.photobucket.com/albums/af8/chris914_photos/stuff%20for%20the%20web/shotty%20pics/GreenMonsterwith18inchbarrel.jpg
Here is my littlle blaster waiting on the ATF to approve the Form 1.

platoonDaddy
08-14-10, 09:46
http://i988.photobucket.com/albums/af8/chris914_photos/stuff%20for%20the%20web/shotty%20pics/GreenMonsterwith18inchbarrel.jpg
Here is my littlle blaster waiting on the ATF to approve the Form 1.

Dang sweet weapon, why Class III barrel looks to be about 18-20"?

chris914
08-14-10, 11:46
Because I have a factory 14" SBS barrel that have had Rem Chokes installed to put on it once the paperwork comes home. :D

platoonDaddy
08-14-10, 15:03
Because I have a factory 14" SBS barrel that have had Rem Chokes installed to put on it once the paperwork comes home. :D

:suicide2: LOL now I understand. :lol:

kartoffel
08-31-10, 09:20
You might consider mounting a large aperture ghost ring on the rear of the barrel, with a TruGlo TFO or XS Big Dot up front.

You can point the shotgun traditionally using just the TFO/Big Dot alone. Both have tritium for low and no light conditions. For rifle style "aimed" shots, focus on the front sight and center it in the big ghost ring. Pow. You'll be printing slugs like a champ.