PDA

View Full Version : Cant find an 16' SP1 upper - HELP

Det-Sog
08-14-10, 09:01
Hello everyone,

Looks like I've come close to shooting out my SP1 16' Carbine upper, after 25 years. :)

Now I am faced with a dilemma. I can't seem to find a new barrel, upper combination. I want both because I have the old upper with no forward assist. I would rather just replace the upper and have it last another 25 years as opposed to buying a whole new rig.

Is there a place that carries this? I go to the gun shows and everything there I am told will not fit an SP1. :confused:

Many thanks!

kmrtnsn
08-14-10, 09:36
If you are looking for a flattop upper with the big pivot pin Daniel Defense makes them. Check their webpage.

pezboy
08-16-10, 12:50
Hello everyone,

Looks like I've come close to shooting out my SP1 16' Carbine upper, after 25 years. :)

Now I am faced with a dilemma. I can't seem to find a new barrel, upper combination. I want both because I have the old upper with no forward assist. I would rather just replace the upper and have it last another 25 years as opposed to buying a whole new rig.

Is there a place that carries this? I go to the gun shows and everything there I am told will not fit an SP1. :confused:

Many thanks!

There are pivot pins (screw type) that will let you use any upper you wish on your large hole lower. Someone else may be around to point out where you can get one or you can Google SP1 pivot pin adapter. Make sure you get the one to use an SP1 lower with a normal upper, not one to use an SP1 upper with a normal lower.
Dustin

Det-Sog
08-17-10, 19:02
Thanks guys. Two great suggestions. I'll look at them both.

I'm glad to know that I have the option. I am still not sure if I want to replace the upper, or just trade it in on a 2011 model. That LWRC M6a2 sure seems cool.

scottryan
08-17-10, 20:28
I wouldn't trade a Colt for a LWRC, especially if I only have one AR15.

Det-Sog
08-17-10, 20:33
I wouldn't trade a Colt for a LWRC, especially if I only have one AR15.

Yeah... I've tried to trade my SP1 in a few times in the past. When I go to make a deal, I get all choked up and cant let it go. We've been through a lot over 25 years. It was my patrol carbine back when I patrolled.

My girl won't let me have two, so either I put a new upper on this one, or trade it.

Heavy Metal
08-17-10, 20:37
Why not just have a new pencil barrel put on your old upper reciever and replace the bolt head at teh same time and call it a day?

The are hammer-forged pencil barrels available now.

Det-Sog
08-17-10, 20:40
Why not just have a new pencil barrel put on your old upper reciever and replace the bolt head at teh same time and call it a day?

I guess that's another option. I would really like a forward assist, all though I've never needed it.

Buck
08-17-10, 23:05
I believe Colt will put a new factory barrel on your carbine for you... Why dont you give their custom shop a call...

Just my .02

B

CAVDOC
08-18-10, 14:07
personaly after 25+ years with the ar including 2 combat tours, I haven't seen a problem that a forward assist would fix that couldn't be better managed with some other technique

TOrrock
08-18-10, 14:54
Definitely.

If you can get Colt to put their lightweight 6520 AR-15A2 Carbine barrel on there, definitely go for it.

Otherwise, I'd look at the Daniel Defense or Bravo Co. lightweight barrels.

Det-Sog
08-19-10, 14:42
OK, I'm convinced.

I'll just find a new barrel. The forward assist is more of a coolness factor than anything else. Like the others, I've never "needed" it. Not even once.