PDA

View Full Version : "Weight lifting: hard on the Central Nervous System"

wild_wild_wes
08-14-10, 09:50
I've read in several articles that weight lifting is hard on the Central Nervous System....what is meant by this, exactly?

Derek_Connor
08-15-10, 07:27
Most BB rags will talk about weightlifting and the CNS in a negative light.

But realistically, you want to lift heavy and stimulate the CNS during your weight lifting sessions. The more full body movements done, the more CNS stimulation you have, the more suitable of an environment you will have to stimulate muscle growth, use fat for energy, and see increases in strength.

Thus, making large/full body movements like pull-ups, deadlifts, benchpress, squats, snatches, clean and jerks, a staple in your routine is ideal. Routines that require you to balance during the movement are also CNS stimulating. Unfortunately, alot of gyms out there will not allow some of these movements above.

You can over do it for sure, too much CNS stimulation and you dive into the realm of over-training, start to see negative results, energy/motivation crash, attitude changes, sleepy/tired, etc. This can be obtained by training too much, too long, too hard. Finding the sweet spot in how many days a week, how long of a session, and how hard of a session, is crucial to maximize your time. Doing alot of long, intense cardio is also crushing to the CNS.

Having a great workout with a shitty diet afterwards will not allow you to recover from a heavy session. Eating correctly combats cortisol that is released during/after your workout. So do not go home and have a cup of coffee, or a pepsi and eat doritos.

Six oh Nine
09-02-10, 17:51
So do not go home and have a cup of coffee, or a pepsi and eat doritos.

Wait whats wrong with coffee?

120mm
09-03-10, 09:41
Gosh, I'm 46, do long intense cardio combined with weights, drink coffee, and for some Godawful reason I am muscular, lean AND have tons of energy.

Must be doing something wrong....

wild_wild_wes
09-03-10, 21:12
You can over do it for sure, too much CNS stimulation and you dive into the realm of over-training, start to see negative results, energy/motivation crash, attitude changes, sleepy/tired, etc. This can be obtained by training too much, too long, too hard. Doing alot of long, intense cardio is also crushing to the CNS.

Yes, but why?

mkmckinley
09-03-10, 22:43
A maximal contraction, like a 1RM type thing, requires your CNS to fire and recruit as many muscle fibers as possible. In fact a lot of your strength gain from lifting comes from CNS development. A novice weightlifter is only able to recruit a fraction of their fibers. weightlifting theoretically this can fatigue the individual nerve cells if you overdo it. Realistically you're not getting into that territory unless you're maxing an exercise three or four times a week. Even then you'd have to do it for weeks at a time. If you're worried about it you can supplement with albumin which supposedly helps.

Adam0331
09-04-10, 08:08
Yes, but why?

I would like to know as well. Not trying to be contradictory I am just curious because I would like to know more. At what point are you over-stimulating, over-training, etc...?

wild_wild_wes
09-04-10, 09:45
I've been deep into Overtraining Syndrome a couple times, but due to prolonged amounts of cardio. Overtraining is all about CNS overstimulation, from what I've read, but it also said that Overtraining is more common to weightlifters than cardio guys, so that is what is confusing to me....how is many hours a day on a bicycle comparable to a few hours of heavy lifting?

dookie1481
09-05-10, 18:57
I would like to know as well. Not trying to be contradictory I am just curious because I would like to know more. At what point are you over-stimulating, over-training, etc...?

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/overtraining-overreaching-and-all-the-rest-part-1.html

Six oh Nine
09-07-10, 19:26
lol no one answered me, what is wrong with drinking coffee?
i do it all the time, if there is something wrong with this i gotta know!

dookie1481
09-07-10, 20:45
lol no one answered me, what is wrong with drinking coffee?
i do it all the time, if there is something wrong with this i gotta know!

Nothing wrong with drinking coffee. I think he meant in lieu of proper post-workout nutrition.

Six oh Nine
09-10-10, 17:05
Okay that makes sense

Derek_Connor
09-27-10, 17:33
Wait whats wrong with coffee?

Sorry for my delay, haven't logged in for awhile.

Nothing is wrong with coffee, in the correct amounts and proper times. If one is trying to lean out, balancing out cortisol levels is huge. Caffeine is a big contributor to adrenal fatigue, cortisol spikes, and so on. So, a small cup of coffee or some espresso right before a workout is good to go in my opinion. But constant overdosing through out the day can be problematic.

I guess the simple answer would be is that we weren't designed to "over do it". We are surely capable of doing long intense marathons, or lift weights until our hands bleed, but our bodies are better equipped at being intense at short bursts of high level activity, or long and very slow endurance (walking).

Granted, this is extremely individual dependent

Gosh, I'm 46, do long intense cardio combined with weights, drink coffee, and for some Godawful reason I am muscular, lean AND have tons of energy.

Some are blessed with great genes..:)