PDA

View Full Version : New Sig 238

skipper49
08-14-10, 18:35
Picked up a new Sig 238 from my favorite fun store today. I've got a friend who works there and is extremely handgun savvy who's been carring one as a BUG for about eight months now and is very impressed with it.
I actually went there to get the Kahr 380, but was talked into the Sig by my friend. The fact that the Kahr was $190((!) higher than the Sig didn't hurt his case either.
I got it for pocket carry, and yes, I'm very familiar with the 1911 manual of arms.
I know that there was a fairly recent thread about the 238, but am looking for fresh coments here as to whether I made a good choice(in your opinion) or not.
I'll be trying her out tomorrow after church. Will pass on my results to you then.
Thanks,
Skip

skipper49
08-18-10, 20:36
Didn't get any feed back on this , but I told you I'd check in after I had some range time. Long story short, I like this thing so much that I sold off some .308 ammo this week to go back Saturday and buy a second P238,identical to the first. This is a very shootable sub-compact, easy to hit with and easy to carry cocked and locked in a pocket holster. I found a good price so I thought I'd take advantage of it while I could.
No, it doesn't carry as well as an LCP, but it's a lot easier for ME to shoot well.

Skip

Tap & Rack
08-18-10, 21:58
Didn't get any feed back on this , but I told you I'd check in after I had some range time. Long story short, I like this thing so much that I sold off some .308 ammo this week to go back Saturday and buy a second P238,identical to the first. This is a very shootable sub-compact, easy to hit with and easy to carry cocked and locked in a pocket holster. I found a good price so I thought I'd take advantage of it while I could.
No, it doesn't carry as well as an LCP, but it's a lot easier for ME to shoot well.

Skip

Hey Skip,

I'm a new member here, but I know what you mean about the Sig Sauer compact feeling good to shoot. I've been a die hard Glock shooter since 98' and just bought the full size P220 with the factory installed 22LR kit to just plink with. This gun is extremely fun to shoot and the only draw back is the plastic magazines. Sig has replaced 4 of them already ( I really hope to find someone that makes a metal magazine for it that works ).

As far as your new P238 Sub Compact, I had the opportunity to shoot on two weeks ago while at one of our ranges. The shooter next to me has an array of very expensive handguns and was all over the paper at 12 yards. He commented on my shot placement and I offered him a Glock 19 and a full magazine to try. He then let me shoot his P238 and I drilled the 10 ring 5 straight times with it.

I must say that Sig does make a fine handgun. I'm glad your happy with your new investments. I may be posting a similar happy Sig post yet this summer.

If your still planning to pocket carry the P238, get a DeSantis Nemisis (sp) pocket holster, there the best...

T&R

skipper49
08-18-10, 22:10
The Nemesis is what I've been using this week. Really holds the Sig in consistant position.
By the way, welcome to the forum.

Skip

gtmtnbiker98
08-19-10, 11:38
If your second one works as well as your first one, run out and buy a lottery ticket, because luck is definitely on your side. Lots of reported issues with the P238, hence the lack or replies to this thread. Glad it's working for you.

VolGrad
08-19-10, 13:25
I too had a great experience with a 238 for the few short months I had it. I fired prob 500 rds through it without a hiccup ... from crappy FMJ to quality JHP. I shot it very well and it felt great in my hand. In the end though it didn't work as well for pocket carry as I'd hoped. I had just grown too used to forgetting the LCP was in my pocket. The 238 was OK but I was always aware it was there. The height and length are really close but the width and the extra weight really does make a difference.

Consider one of these ...
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=54386
... no I do not work for TT. I just love his stuff and wanted something he didn't have in his production line so we collaborated on this. I ended up selling my 238 but Tim is making me this holster for a G26 right now. I can't wait because I love AIWB carry and am too short and chubby to carry my G19 that way.

Also look into the VZ ETC grips for your 238. They are awesome. They are the best feeling grips I've owned and perfect on this pistol.