PDA

View Full Version : PMAG question

Rated21R
08-14-10, 20:37
Should I upgrade my non-M revision PMAGS for M revision or are the old ones just a good? I have read the differences but just curious what folks general opinion is. Thanks.

Titleist
08-14-10, 20:46
Shoot your current ones till they fail, then replace 'em. I have pmags from 3 years ago that shoot great still.

I wouldn't worry. If they currently work in your guns, you're good to go.

ForTehNguyen
08-14-10, 21:36
i briefly thought about doing this myself due to my slight OCD but i decided against it, a working magazine is working mag. I do like the RevM better for the clipping the cover on the bottom and the coarser texture.

ALCOAR
08-14-10, 22:04
Personally I would not and I would do like Titleist said..I run magpuls on the bottom of my mags so I get zero utility outta the snap of the bottom feature plus I have busted my damn knuckles a million times now over the last several yrs. popping those things on and off.

sammage
08-14-10, 23:07
If the older ones have problems dropping free, just dremel the "nubs" towards the bottom of the magwell. Don't use the snap covers on the bottom feature, so a working mag is a working mag.

ForTehNguyen
08-15-10, 07:36
you dont really need the dust covers according to some people. They have had loaded mags for a while and no feed lip creep

Rated21R
08-15-10, 08:58
Thanks all, I thought as much but I was having an OCD moment.

Biz Kizzle
08-15-10, 15:53
Thanks all, I thought as much but I was having an OCD moment.

i also have ocd moments when it comes to guns.. :cool: but i try to stick to the "don't fix what ain't broke" method unless there's very clear performance advantages.

ca_fireman19
08-19-10, 22:56
Keep the old ones until they fail...then buy the new.

Failure2Stop
08-20-10, 05:12
Shoot your current ones till they fail, then replace 'em. I have pmags from 3 years ago that shoot great still.

I wouldn't worry. If they currently work in your guns, you're good to go.

I couldn't say it any better than that.

Army Chief
08-20-10, 05:58
If there is any bona fide argument against having both old and new (Rev M) PMAGs, it would probably have less to do with any functional shortcomings and more to do with parts commonality issues, since the internals from one generation are not readily compatible with the next.

If you try to put the spring/follower from a Rev M mag into the older bodies, or vice versa (I can't remember exactly which combination is more problematic), you are going to end up with some malfunctioning mags in which the follower won't travel all of the way up to the feed lips, leaving a gap that won't push the final 4-5 rounds into battery.

In the end, so long as you aren't mixing and matching old and new parts, I see no issue with having a nice stockpile of both types.

AC

Dozer
08-20-10, 21:45
If there is any bona fide argument against having both old and new (Rev M) PMAGs, it would probably have less to do with any functional shortcomings and more to do with parts commonality issues, since the internals from one generation are not readily compatible with the next.

If you try to put the spring/follower from a Rev M mag into the older bodies, or vice versa (I can't remember exactly which combination is more problematic), you are going to end up with some malfunctioning mags in which the follower won't travel all of the way up to the feed lips, leaving a gap that won't push the final 4-5 rounds into battery.

In the end, so long as you aren't mixing and matching old and new parts, I see no issue with having a nice stockpile of both types.

AC

Without going into too many details, the only component that is compatible with both models is the spring. The Rev M magazine is different enough that trying to change internals with non Rev M magazines will cause you problems. If any of your magazines are malfunctioning please contact us and we will make it right.

I hope this helps.