PDA

View Full Version : Smartphone/iPhone Protection

exkc135driver
08-15-10, 01:19
I recently updated my cell phone from a small candy bar sized Nokia, which has served me well for 5-1/2 years, to an iPhone 4. Those phones are expensive to repair or replace, so before I acquired the phone I researched options to maximize the life of the phone. Many of you on this forum have hobbies or occupations which would put your iPhone or other smart phone at risk for loss or damage, so I thought I’d share the results of my research and (so far very limited) experience.

Protection from Damage

You have 3 choices: carry your iPhone without a case, use an iPhone Bumper, or use a case.

➢ Based on the fact that both the front and the back of the iPhone 4 are glass, and having seen too many pictures of dropped iPhones with crazed (or worse) glass, I decided early on that not using a case was asking for an expensive repair bill in the future.

➢ iPhone Bumpers may solve the antenna problem (if there really is one), but they offer very little protection. Until recently, Bumpers cost $29.95 – way too much money for a 50-cent piece of plastic. You can buy a case for less than that which will solve the antenna problem and offer some protection.

➢ Acquire a case. For not much more than a Bumper would have cost, you can purchase a case that will offer real protection. For me, that was an easy choice. Also, Apple has recently announced that, because of the controversy surrounding the antenna problem, it will give you a free Bumper or case (your choice) if you purchased an iPhone 4 – for iPhones purchased before July 23, 2010, you must apply NLT August 22, 2010; for iPhone 4 purchases after that date but NLT September 30, 2010, you must apply within 30 days. If you previously purchased a Bumper, Apple will refund your money. So there is no reason to not encase your shiny but fragile iPhone.

Case Choices

Although I’ve already purchased a case, nothing beats free, so I plan on getting a free case as detailed above. But there are better choices for serious protection: Otterbox and Ballistic. Both companies make cases which offer a high degree of protection, the highest being Otterbox’s “Defender” series and Ballistic’s “HC” series. Otterbox makes cases for a variety of smart phones in each of its 3 series, while Ballistic only makes cases for the HTC EVO, the iPhone 3/3GS, the iPhone 4, and the iPad. At the present time, the only case available in Ballistic’s “HC” series is for the iPhone 4.

➢ Otterbox “Defender” series: these cases have 3 parts: a shell into which the phone is inserted, a cover which fits over the front of the phone, and a silicone outer case into which the covered phone is inserted. In addition there is a holster into which the encased phone snaps. Although the phone can probably be used with just the inner case, the addition of the outer case helps hold the inner case together and adds substantially to the ability of the case to protect the phone.

➢ Ballistic “HC” series: like the Otterbox, this case has a shell into which the phone is inserted, a cover that fits over the front of the phone, and a silicone outer case into which the covered phone is inserted. It also has a holster into which the encased phone is snapped. The iPhone 4 can definitely be used with just the inner case, but as with the Otterbox, the outer case adds to the structural integrity of the assembly and adds substantially to the ability of the case to protect the phone.

➢ Otterbox “Defender” vs. Ballistic “HC”: Neither of these cases is small; for an iPhone 4, the measurements (to the nearest 1/16”) are:

o Naked iPhone 4: 4-1/2” H x 2-5/16” W x 3/8” thick (as measured by me);
o iPhone 4 in Otterbox “Defender” case: 4.85” x 2.67” x 0.66” (according to Otterbox);
o iPhone 4 in Ballistic “HC” inner case: 4-7/8” x 2-3/4” x 5/8” (as measured by me);
o iPhone 4 in Ballistic “HC” complete case: 5” x 2-7/8” x 3/4” (as measured by me).

For many of you the Otterbox will be the only choice. For iPhone 4 users either would serve you well. Aesthetically, I think the Otterbox has a more “finished” look. The holster for both the Ballistic holster and the Otterbox holster is ratcheted.

Ballistic has posted several videos on YouTube showing Ballistic-encased iPhones being dropped onto pavement from 25 feet, thrown against a wall, dragged behind a truck across a parking lot, etc. Those videos are pretty impressive and made my choice an easy one.

Some people have noted a watermark or oiling effect between the clear cover of both the Ballistic case and the Otterbox case and the iPhone screen. I inserted my iPhone into the Ballistic case with the original protective plastic on the front and back of the iPhone intact (other than cutting away areas for the camera lens, etc.) and have noticed no watermark or oiling effect. And yes, the touch screen works just fine. I imagine this would work with the Otterbox as well.

Either case improves the feel of the phone and makes it much less slippery and less likely to slip out of a shirt pocket. Pricewise there is nothing to choose from as each case costs $49.99.

Protection from Loss/Theft

For a while I carried insurance on my Nokia through AT&T. It was $4.99 a month and for $35.00 they would replace the phone. However the deal with the iPhone 4 is $11.99 a month with a $199 deductible and you have to sign up within 30 days of activating your phone. On the other hand, it will cost you much more than that to buy the phone at the non-contract price, not to mention replacing the apps and data.

Alternatively, you can sign up for the MobileMe service with Apple for $99/year or $149/year for the family plan ($69/$119 for the first year if the service is purchased with the phone) which gives you zero insurance but gives you the ability to remotely lock and/or wipe the phone, plus a GPS thingie which will give you the phone’s approximate location if you lose or misplace it. Since you get a 60-day free trial of the service, you can get the most bang for the buck by buying the service when you buy the phone ($69 or $119 if you add your wife’s or up to 4 other people’s iPhones), immediately initiating the free trial, then not activating the paid service until around day 55 … that way you get almost 14 months of service the first year. Be aware, though, that if you decide to return the MobileMe software (which is actually just an activation code for paid service), you must return the unopened MobileMe package within 14 days of purchase. Should you do so, though, you can continue to use the balance of your 60-day free trial period.

Any Otterbox users want to add to this?

Standard disclaimer: I have no connection with any of the companies listed.

chadbag
08-15-10, 01:46
While forceful drops against concrete may crack up your iPhone 4 with just a bumper, normal use drops on the floor etc (ie, fumble it while pulling out of your pocket) will probably be ok with just a bumper (not that I am going to test it!). The bumper plastic frame will move, flex, and deform absorbing energy and the rubber outside edges will absorb the shock as well.

Before I got my free bumper I was using a case made of some vinyl like plastic (not vinyl but it kind of feels like it stiffness wise). It was cheap ($7.95) and covered the complete back and sides of the phone and had a raised edge on the front as well. I fumbled the phone once or twice with that case without issue.

All these other cases really bulk up the phone. Making it less easy to use (for my style of carry, which is in my pocket).

I hope Magpul comes out with a stylish protective iPhone 4 case. I really liked my (beta) iPhone 3G/GS case I used for several months. My 3GS survived several fumbles and falls to the floor with that case.

nickdrak
08-15-10, 02:41
The OtterBox cases for the iPhones are bomb-proof. But the one for the iPhone 3 is frikkin HUGE! I have the OtterBox for my Palm Pre, and it is an excellent design that protects the phone well.

subzero
08-15-10, 08:31
I agree that no case is asking for trouble. I don't like those big cases though. I appreciate the design of the phone, I think it looks good, I don't want to hide it inside something that looks like a Pelican case.

I went through a bunch of cases trying to find a mix between good protection and minimal bulk. For my 3G, I thought the Speck Candyshell was where it was at. A good combination of hard and soft shells, it offered stylish protection that outdid everything short of a full Otterbox-style case. It fit in a pocket nicely but the glossy plastic got scratched up fast, which some people complain about.

I have ordered a Candyshell for my iPhone 4 and I can't wait for it to get here. Until then I'm using an Incipio semi-rigid case I got from the AT&T store. I'm surprised by how much I like it! I don't think the Bumper is any sort of real protection. Most silicone cases just serve to make the phone more grippy, they don't offer any substantial impact resistance.

Left Sig
08-15-10, 13:12
Contour Designs makes the best iPhone cases. They are carried at the Apple Store and online (Amazon has them).

My wife has a 1st gen iPhone and uses the Contour Showcase, and it's lasted for several years with not problems. The Showcase is basically clear plastic with a rubberized coating on the outside that leaves parts of the phone still visible. It comes with a cover panel that has a removable belt clip. Clip it to your belt and the cover becomes a holster of sorts that the phone/case snaps into.

http://retail.contourdesign.com/?/products/51

I used a Showcase for a while but found I was just keeping the iPhone in my front pocket. So I got a Contour Hardskin case instead. It's similar to the Showcase, but a little less bulky and the rubberized coating covers the whole case. The same case is available with no rubber coating and sold as the clear plastic iSee

http://retail.contourdesign.com/?/products/64

http://retail.contourdesign.com/?/products/48

I don't see any 4g cases yet, but I would wait for them to release one and then get it.

I also use a glossy screen protector on mine so I have 100% coverage on the phone.

It's actually kind of funny how people want to protect their iPhones with cases and such. My wife has a Blackberry for work, and she just throws it in her purse with no protection. Seems to hold up OK. I didn't care much about my other cell phones before I got an iPhone - just used a basic holster case and no protection on the phone itself.

I think iPhones really are more durable than people give them credit for. Perhaps it's the high price that makes people want to keep them in perfect shape.

chadbag
08-15-10, 13:28
Most silicone cases just serve to make the phone more grippy, they don't offer any substantial impact resistance.

Actually they do -- at least blunt force impact like dropping it. The stuff compresses and pushes the energy out through it instead of into the phone.

In fact I went from a Speck hard case to a iSkin silicone only on the 3GS for greater protection. The thin hard cases look to my like they would just pass the blunt force through to the phone (but I am not an ME or materials person and have not done any testing of this).

The bumper actually looks like it would do OK for protecting the phone form a fall on its edge. It moves enough to deform and has a rubber material on the edges to absorb impact energy. I changed from a TPU cover to a bumper on my iPhone 4.

I don't know why people put "screen protectors" on the newer iPhones. The original iPhone needed one as the glass was not that great in terms of scratch-proof etc but with the new coatings on the 3GS I did not put one on and before I sold it to Gazelle a month ago it had no scratches at all without a screen protector and months of use and riding in my pants pocket with my wallet etc. The iPhone 4 screen also has these coatings and is a better material and should not scratch without protection either.

subzero
08-15-10, 13:49
I used to think that, then I spent some time talking to the guys at the Genius bar, the ones who repair iPhones for a living. They told me they see far more phones broken in falls in soft cases than hard cases. When I thought about it, it made perfect sense. Helmets, kneepads, other things we use for impact protection, they all generally have hard outer shells with padding inside.

I'm with you on screen protector films. It's a good way to waste money.

chadbag
08-15-10, 14:13
I used to think that, then I spent some time talking to the guys at the Genius bar, the ones who repair iPhones for a living. They told me they see far more phones broken in falls in soft cases than hard cases. When I thought about it, it made perfect sense. Helmets, kneepads, other things we use for impact protection, they all generally have hard outer shells with padding inside.

Not all hard and soft cases are made equal. A good hard case will be better than a good soft case. But I am betting that a good soft case is better than a bad hard case. If the hard shell redirects the forces into the case and has soft padding inside to absorb momentum of the phone, for example, than bingo, good case. If it is no more than a hard shell on the phone with lots of points of contact inside, does it really do a lot?

And some soft cases are pretty thin. Others have substantial strips of thick silicone or TPU on the corners and along the edges.

I wish there was some group who tested cases that could test them with real phones :-) so we could know what the good cases are and which ones suck.

Things like the Otterbox are very good but bulky. What sorts of good cases are there that are more slim line. That is the question.

VooDoo6Actual
08-15-10, 14:32
The best I have seen to date in the Otterbox Defender.
I do not find it too big in any regard.

I had ones for my first iPhone, 3Gs and 4 now.

I'm using a Incipio SILRYLIC Case now for my iPhone 4 but prefer the Otterbox Defender case.

The Otterbox defneder case was delayed due to T&E on it's design. Looks like it's available now.

The Incipio is not as good as the Otterbox but does work quite well and is minimalistic.

It has a soft silicon sleeve and then a snugly fitted arcylic plastic overcase that is molded and integrates onto the soft silicon sleeve.

Here's some links:

Model is : SILIRYLIC

http://www.myincipio.com/product/IPHONE_4_IPH-506/iPhone-4-SILICRYLIC-Silicone-Case-with-Acrylic-Shell---BlackBlack.html

Otterbox Defender (looks like it is now available)
http://www.otterbox.com/iphone-cases/iphone-4-cases/iphone-4-defender-series-case/

BOTH have saved me hundreds in mishandled/accidentially dropped phone replacements numerous times.

HTH and good luck on your quest.

chadbag
08-15-10, 14:48
The best I have seen to date in the Otterbox Defender.
I do not find it too big in any regard.

I had ones for my first iPhone, 3Gs and 4 now.

I'm using a Incipio SILRYLIC Case now for my iPhone 4 but prefer the Otterbox Defender case.

Thanks for the pointer to the Incipio stuff. I had seen their iPad stuff back before it was shipping and had lost the link. Will also check out their phone stuff

VooDoo6Actual
08-15-10, 14:54
My pleasure.

The Incipio is smaller dimensionally compared to the Otterbox by a noticable amount.

Have to use screen cover/guard with it etc.

HTH...

Littlelebowski
08-15-10, 14:59
For what they are, these devices are most certainly not fragile.

Honu
08-15-10, 18:35
I don't know why people put "screen protectors" on the newer iPhones.

I hate shiny reflective screens :) and they feel nice under the finger to me less draggy

its not for protection its for keeping the glare down and feel for me ;)

Belmont31R
08-15-10, 18:47
I just got a 4 yesterday, and had a 3g for 13 months before that. I never used a case or any screen protectors. I dropped it a couple times, and the screen had 2 small scratches on it.

I really hate the grippy rubbery feel of most cases, and the bulk they add onto the phone. i usually keep it in my pocket, and don't want it to be any bigger than it already is. My wife had an otterbox case for hers, and although it added a lot of protection the thing made the phone enormous, and the ergonomics felt like shit compared to the bare phone.

I found a leather skin backing for the 4 that looks pretty good. I might get that because it only adds about a millimeter to the thickness, and leather doesn't feel so grippy/cheap.

Left Sig
08-15-10, 19:00
I hate shiny reflective screens :) and they feel nice under the finger to me less draggy

its not for protection its for keeping the glare down and feel for me ;)

The matte screen protectors are good at glare reduction. The mirrored ones are useful for some people, and the polarized ones prevent people next to you from seeing what's on your screen.

I use just a regular glossy protector on my 3GS. After a little while I noticed some small "dings" in the protector. Then I realized it was probably caused by contact with the rivets on my jeans when I put the phone in my front pocket. That's a good enough reason for me to keep the protector on there. It looks like the regular screen, causes no issues with usability, and can only help protect from scratches and chips.

Hell, you guys carry guns "just in case". Why not a screen protector "just in case"?

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-15-10, 22:49
No matter what I do, I can't keep my car keys out of the same pocket as my phone- lots of cracked screens. When it comes to belt carry which way is better- vertically or horizontally?

Alex V
08-16-10, 07:44
I had my original iPhone from the first day it came out in 2007. Never had it in a case. Dropped it countless times and never had a problem. But then again, the original iPhone had a metal case not plastick like the 3G3Gs or glass like the 4.

Now with the 4, seeing as how Apple is giving away free cases for iPhone4 users, I just went on the website, downloaded the app, and ordered one of the free cases.

It is rubbery which makes it a PITA to take out of my pocket as it turns the pocket inside-out, but I can deal with it for being a free case lol.

chadbag
08-16-10, 10:46
Hell, you guys carry guns "just in case". Why not a screen protector "just in case"?

Because a hard impact won't be stopped by the screen protector and the glass does not scratch anyway...

Irish
08-16-10, 10:52
Without starting a new thread... For the people who've gone from the older Gen iPhone to the current 4 would you recommend the change? If someone were to buy an iPhone today what would be the reasons to get the 4 over the 3GS that is still being sold by AT&T? Any noticeable differences to the users and is it worth the upgrade and price?

chadbag
08-16-10, 10:56
Without starting a new thread... For the people who've gone from the older Gen iPhone to the current 4 would you recommend the change? If someone were to buy an iPhone today what would be the reasons to get the 4 over the 3GS that is still being sold by AT&T? Any noticeable differences to the users and is it worth the upgrade and price?

The screen is hugely better. More crisp and clear. You can actually read infinitesimally small text.

Faster.

Has double the RAM so that the "multi-tasking" works a lot better.

Far superior camera including 720p video and much better looking pictures (3GS has 3mp camera and 4 has 5mp camera with a sensor that has the same size element as the 3GS and other improvements)

If you want to do the FaceTime video conferencing you need the 4 with its front facing camera.

Despite the antenna-gate stuff, most people find it has better connections and connections in places a 3GS does not

Whether it is worth it is up to you. It is the most worthwhile upgrade with the iPhone imho

Irish
08-16-10, 11:04
It is the most worthwhile upgrade with the iPhone imho

Thank you sir. Sounds like the way to fly to me.

chadbag
08-16-10, 12:07
Thank you sir. Sounds like the way to fly to me.

see

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=57362

posting from HOPLOETHOS -- #16

Belmont31R
08-16-10, 12:29

Yeah Im pretty pleased in getting the 4. Im coming from a 3G but the phone is a lot faster. You hit buttons, and theres very little lag. The wifi is a lot faster of a connection. Im getting around 10-12 down and almost 2 up. Basically double as fast as my 3G. The face talk works pretty good, and my wife has had no connectivity issues talking to her mom on it. They were using skype on their laptops, and ran into problems with it all the time.

subzero
08-16-10, 12:47

It's worth the money. Going from a 3G to a 4 was a big improvement. The speed is impressive.

Buying a 3GS today is a bad deal IMHO. I think the market is moving too fast to be looking at something that's a year out of date now, especially if you're going to be carrying it for 2 years. So by the end of your contract the phone is 3 years past its release date. The original iPhone is *only* 3 years old right now. It's no longer supported by the new software from Apple, it has limited functionality, and storage space. The Nexus One was supposed to be a big deal, you can't even find one for sale in a shop now. It's only 2 years old. The Droid completely changed the smartphone game, and it's being retired by Motorola and Verizon. It's only 10 months old. When the market is moving this fast, getting something that's out of date when you buy it is kinda dumb.

Irish
08-16-10, 20:31
Thanks for the feedback. iPhone users should definitely check out this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1124844 That app looks pretty slick!