PDA

View Full Version : Need a quality belt holster

littlejerry
08-15-10, 09:07
I'd like to get a quality belt holster for use while working on family property and taking classes where a IWB holster would not be appropriate.

I'm looking at the Blade-Tech Stingray and Comp-Tac holsters. Both look solid and I've had great luck with Comp-Tac(carry in a M-Tac daily). The injection-molded Blade-Tech holster is tempting but I'm wary of cheap holsters... any experience? I'd love to save $40 if it works well.

I was also wondering if these basic holsters would provide adequate retention for some of the work I'll be doing at family property(clearing brush, riding a 4-wheeler, using a tractor, etc). The Safariland ALS w/ level II retention looks like a nice compromise for added retention while not adding hazardous thumb-break flaps. Only problem is the price; but its a price I'd be willing to pay if the holster offers a significant improvement.

operator81
08-15-10, 10:47
The ALS is a nice holster, very easy to release retention. Given the type of work you'll be doing while carrying I'd recommend having retention.

jeffreywt
08-15-10, 10:53
I have a Safariland ALS 6377 and a Bladetech (non-injection, standard kydex) and they are both great.

If retention is a concern, the Safariland is the way to go. The 6377 can be had for around $30

Hersh
08-15-10, 18:35
The injection-molded Blade-Tech holster is tempting but I'm wary of cheap holsters... any experience? I'd love to save $40 if it works well.

I've never owned an injection molded BT holster, but have two of their kydex models and they're great. Fwiw, their injection molded mag pouches I've had (9MM and AR) were not so good.

dojpros
08-15-10, 20:08
I have found both the Blade Tech injection molded and the uncle mikes kydex OWB holsters satisfactory for range use when I have taken the time to coat all of the screws with blue loctite ( or clear finger polish in a pinch) such that the screw adjustments stay put.

It sounds like given you retention concerns, the 6377 would work well for you so long as your weapons platform is supported by the manufacturer.

JonInWA
08-15-10, 22:02
You know, for the type of work you'd be doing, you might just want to consider a flap holster, such as the Bianchi UM84; you can also get an inexpensive retention strap for when you don't want to use the flap to secure the gun.

Best, Jon

WillBrink
08-16-10, 16:40
I'd like to get a quality belt holster for use while working on family property and taking classes where a IWB holster would not be appropriate.

I'm looking at the Blade-Tech Stingray and Comp-Tac holsters. Both look solid and I've had great luck with Comp-Tac(carry in a M-Tac daily). The injection-molded Blade-Tech holster is tempting but I'm wary of cheap holsters... any experience? I'd love to save $40 if it works well.

I'd take the comp-tac over BT any day. Here's my short write up:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=28119&highlight=comp-tac