PDA

View Full Version : Cobra Firearms

Gombey
08-15-10, 13:23
I did a quick forum search, and a google search. The only info I could find was from the highpoint forum, nuff said.

So I've decided to seek the sage advice from the more experienced steel (and plastic LOL) wieldiers on this forum.

Have any of you heard or had any experience with cobra firearms? A friend of mine owns a Cobra FS380.

I know the old adage is it's better than a rock, but if this thing is going to blow up in his hand when he needs it.....
He plans to buy a new gun in December but if the gun is a piece of crap I'll put off getting my pocket gun and help him get something better to protect his family.

Soooo, that's my long drawn out question. Thanks for reading it and for any help.

Oh and as a post script, we are going to the range today so he can shoot it for the first time.

bkb0000
08-15-10, 13:29
http://www.glockworld.com/DisplayPic.aspx?PIC=198360

at least with a rock there are no unrealistic expectations.

MarshallDodge
08-15-10, 13:55
If all I could afford was a $100 gun then I would probably buy a Hi-Point.

I think most people could find a way to save up $50 a month and in a year they would have enough to buy a really nice gun.

warpigM-4
08-15-10, 14:19
A friend of Mine Had One A while Back It would Not shoot With out a Stove pipe every other round ..I would save Your Money and get Something else, Hit the Pawn shops In your area.You could Find great deals .Or Just go Put the Money you Have Down on a Gun and Pay some Every Paycheck .

dvdlpzus
08-15-10, 14:27
I would even suggest him to buy a Makarov or a CZ 82. FM High Power are around the same price range as well and it is very reliable. Summitgunbroker.com has good deals often as well.

one
08-15-10, 15:52
http://www.glockworld.com/DisplayPic.aspx?PIC=198360

at least with a rock there are no unrealistic expectations.

Most of the time when I write LOL I didn't "really" LOL. That one I did.

Magic_Salad0892
08-15-10, 16:14
You can get a police trade in Glock for under $300 if you know where to look, and refinishing them is fairly simple. I ran across a few when I was checking prices on my second Gen4 gun. (and 3rd. Going to buy two.)

Gombey
08-15-10, 16:28
WOW!!!! What a piece of GARBAGE!!!! I just shot it, FTF two times in a row within the first three rounds. Final round was a stovepipe. He said he didn't have any of those issues.

I was trying to find a nice way to tell him it was a piece of junk but luckily the guy at the shop was kind enough to tell him for me.

On another note, the worker said lorcin and cobra are made by the same company.

So yah, we are going to get him into a Glock or something like that. We start shopping next week :)

Alpha Sierra
08-15-10, 16:34
For $250 you can find police-trade in S&W Models 10 and 64 in excellent working condition.

I would much, MUCH rather carry a quality six shooter than some piece of shit just to say I have a semi auto.

John_Wayne777
08-15-10, 16:38
For $250 if you shop around you can even find a Sigma...nothing to write home about, but it will probably work.

spamsammich
08-15-10, 16:42
I did a quick forum search, and a google search. The only info I could find was from the highpoint forum, nuff said...

That is what they call "a clue" ;)

Gombey
08-15-10, 16:46
The only thing that is stopping the purchase is his wife won't let him buy one right now. Newborn baby and all that, so that's why I'm dipping into my BUG fund so he can get a quality firearm a little earlier.

I guess I've been spoiled, I've only shot a Glock and my HK. I've NEVER experienced anything so horrible!!! LOL

Unforsakn
08-15-10, 17:04
wouldn't want one if you gave it to me

P2000
08-15-10, 17:39
I saw one of those on my last range trip. I thought he just had his hi-point nickel plated. I would be too embarrassed to be seen at the range with something like that....

Alpha Sierra
08-15-10, 18:19
For $250 if you shop around you can even find a Sigma...nothing to write home about, but it will probably work.
See, that's the thing. For the same money I'll take six for sure rather than seventeen of maybe.

William B.
08-15-10, 19:33
A friend of mine bought a Cobra handgun in .32ACP for his wife and had a lot of problems with it. He eventually wound up sending it back to the factory and having it replaced.

jrainer
08-15-10, 21:44
See, that's the thing. For the same money I'll take six for sure rather than seventeen of maybe.

I have a sigma .40 and I have put at least 4000 rounds through it without a single FTF or any other issue. Every time I pull the trigger it goes bang while not as accurate as some. I can keep a group of about 4-5 inches at 20-25 yards. While I can't speak for every one's experiance with sigma's mine has been nothing but cheap reliable fun. I wouldn't hesitant one second to defend myself or my family with my sigma

Alpha Sierra
08-15-10, 21:49
I have a sigma .40 and I have put at least 4000 rounds through it without a single FTF or any other issue. Every time I pull the trigger it goes bang while not as accurate as some. I can keep a group of about 4-5 inches at 20-25 yards. While I can't speak for every one's experiance with sigma's mine has been nothing but cheap reliable fun. I wouldn't hesitant one second to defend myself or my family with my sigma
That is just fine.

Your example runs fine. Not something that can be said of the early Sigmas.

However, the original M&P has been pretty much debugged since its introduction in 1899. If I buy a used S&W revolver, I don't have to worry about it working less than 100% of the time.

StrikeFace
08-15-10, 21:55
Cobra? Jennings? Hi-Point?

You'd be better off using one of those Liberator ditch pistols.

+1 to the beater .38 Spec.

Magic_Salad0892
08-16-10, 01:55
However, the original M&P has been pretty much debugged since its introduction in 1899. If I buy a used S&W revolver, I don't have to worry about it working less than 100% of the time.

Damn, I might just have to buy an M&P now. Most proven design of all time.

Quiet
08-16-10, 02:46
Buy the correct S&W M&P design.
The original S&W M&P is what S&W now calls the Model 10. ;)
The designation was changed in 1957.

Magic_Salad0892
08-16-10, 05:41
Buy the correct S&W M&P design.
The original S&W M&P is what S&W now calls the Model 10. ;)
The designation was changed in 1957.

I almost bought a Model 10 once.

Couldn't justify it over my G19 though.

Maybe someday...

tpd223
08-16-10, 05:48

I asume he meant this M&P;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.38_Special

In which case you would both be correct.

Dale Gribble
08-16-10, 06:17
Cobra? Jennings? Hi-Point?

You'd be better off using one of those Liberator ditch pistols.

Spoken like everyone else online who has no first hand experience with a hi-point. I've had mine for going on 9 years now and it's never had a single failure of any kind. Must be cool being on that bandwagon :cool:

John_Wayne777
08-16-10, 06:57
Spoken like everyone else online who has no first hand experience with a hi-point. I've had mine for going on 9 years now and it's never had a single failure of any kind.

:rolleyes:

...and how many rounds do you have through the gun?

rbabbitt767
08-16-10, 12:59
Spoken like everyone else online who has no first hand experience with a hi-point. I've had mine for going on 9 years now and it's never had a single failure of any kind. Must be cool being on that bandwagon :cool:

Nice screen name for an even nicer gun.

Dale Gribble
08-16-10, 13:11
Nice screen name for an even nicer gun.

I never said it was a great gun, I simply fail to see why there is so much bashing. I can't possibly have bought the only Hi-Point .380 or 9mm that haven't had problems. I see all the bashing and everything yet I've not seen anything that warrants it. Love this jump on the Hi-Point owner stuff, especially from a forum that is supposed to be about the most professional on the web. If there's a problem with them how about educating with facts??

rbabbitt767
08-16-10, 13:20
This is supposed to be the most professional forum, I gathered. By that, I think that it is implied that we discuss firearms that are going to see heavy use in practical applications. I'm sure that a Hi-Point would suit someones needs if they were just going to go out and shoot at a pond or dirt mound every once and a while, but for a firearm in a thread about a gun to be used for the protection of one's family, the Hi-Point is sub-standard. I've had a lot of trigger time on a 9mm that my friend, who is perpetually buying the cheapest things he can, owned. The recoil is horrible for the caliber, there is no accuracy, and the materials simply will not hold up to high round counts. If you can run one of these guns through a course and document it, or accumulate a 2000+ round count, I'll have eaten my words, but as it stands, I don't believe in anything but bashing a die-cast gun with the engineering complexity of a Hot Wheels car, especially when spoken of in the same area code as "to protect his family."

John_Wayne777
08-17-10, 07:35
I never said it was a great gun, I simply fail to see why there is so much bashing.

Statement of objective reality is not "bashing". The objective reality is that Hi-points are junk guns.

I can't possibly have bought the only Hi-Point .380 or 9mm that haven't had problems.

Again...how many rounds through the guns?

Someone insisting that their hi-point hasn't had problems is on the same level as someone insisting that they've never put an eye out playing William Tell with a BB gun during drunken revelry with their buddies. It's not a matter of if, but of when. If it spends the overwhelming majority of it's life sitting in a drawer then it's not really surprising that it's never encountered a problem. By that standard my grandfather's old Iver Johnson revolver is the "best" handgun I own, as it's the only one that has never given me a problem.

Why? Because I don't shoot it.

I see all the bashing and everything yet I've not seen anything that warrants it.

What you can see is probably pretty limited...which is why it's generally a good idea to listen to people who have more experience and expertise than you do. A man who limits the universe to what is in front of his eyeballs is a pretty limited individual.

Love this jump on the Hi-Point owner stuff, especially from a forum that is supposed to be about the most professional on the web.

I asked you a very simple question...how many rounds do you have through the gun? Yet instead of any response all I see is that you're offended people said your gun sucks. They say that because it's made of pot metal and because they do not tend to hold up well to any significant level of use. Hi-points are disposable handguns...better than a sharp stick, but nowhere close to being in the same league as the duty quality weapons on the market.

If there's a problem with them how about educating with facts??

FACTS:

- They are made of extremely shoddy materials (note that nobody like Glock, S&W or Sig uses zinc/aluminum alloys to make critical components like slides. There are reasons for this.)
- The number of them that don't function right out of the box is pretty amazing.
- They tend to break at inappropriately low round counts

You may never have seen any of that with your two little eyeballs, but if you changed your scenery and spent time working behind a gun store counter that moved lots of hi-points, you would see it. You would also see that lots of people who buy them never put so much as a single magazine's worth of ammo through them. I know of three owners off of the top of my head who bought one, loaded it, and then put it in a drawer where it's been ever since. They are one of the "break glass in case of emergency" gun owners who just bought the cheapest thing they could find and thought it was good enough. A large percentage of Hi-point owners are in more or less the same situation.

Now those are the facts about Hi-point handguns.

I'm well beyond the point of charity with those who make wild assertions and then react with incredulity when they are called on it and whine about professionalism and facts. Professionalism means that you have the facts before you open your mouth in the first place. It doesn't mean that you get to show up on a forum and spew nonsense that has no basis in fact while insisting that everyone else take your nebulous experience with a couple of cheap handguns seriously.

Now if you want to finally answer the question of how many rounds you've documented through your guns, by all means do so. If, however, you're just in the mood to complain about hurt feelings or "professionalism" it would be best to simply hold your peace and not express it here.

MarshallDodge
08-17-10, 10:41

I am going to try and say this as constructively as possible. :)

The Hi-Point is a mediocre gun at best. This is not based on personal experience as an owner but as someone who has attended defensive pistol training classes, helped teach a few basic pistol classes, RO at a local range, and shoot competitively.

Alpha Sierra
08-17-10, 12:15
Hey Gribble, lookee here

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii180/ArmedSuspect/hipoint/IMGA02651.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii180/ArmedSuspect/hipoint/IMGA02751.jpg

See even more of that here: http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/Forum/index.php?topic=15746.0

bkb0000
08-17-10, 12:21
check out that high-quality metal... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pot_metal

tpd223
08-17-10, 15:20
...better than a sharp stick

Bullshit, I know exactly what a sharp stick will and will not do, I can count on a sharp stick to accomplish it's mission without failure, not so with a HiPoint.

Yes, I have shot HPs.
When I was the armorer for my job I saw many of them go through our property room, since I was the guy responsible for disposal of firearms that had been seized and under court order I took the liberty to take a few to the range to try out (know your enemy and all that, ya know?).

I also used to see them show up at the range when I was running the qual course and testing for the local security guards in my city (they have to shoot the LE qual course to have a guard license here).
I have not yet seen a Lorcin or HiPoint make it through a 50 round qual course successfully.

Across the board, with the .380s, 9mms, and .45s I tried I find they have crappy triggers, crappy sights, a very high rate of stoppages, poor materials, very high rate of parts failure.

I hear the same from my friends who conduct basic pistol classes and CCW classes (we have to shoot a qual here for the CCH license).

In a shocking but true find; the carbines were not nearly as bad as I thought they would be, generally very reliable when kept clean and fed ball ammo, haven't broken one yet, although still has crappy sights and trigger, and much greater recoil than one would think of in a 9mm rifle.

On a funny note, one of my guys was in a foot chase a few nights ago with a reported armed subject, he is a bigger guy so many of his buds were surprised when he caught the bad guy and took him into custody.

I hear down in the roll call room;

"Was that guy running on a peg leg or what?"

"No, but he was carrying a HiPoint .45 so he got tired quick from carrying all that weight."

tpd223
08-17-10, 15:22
... and if your HP is so great, I would suggest you get ahold of this guy;

http://multigun.wordpress.com/2010/07/07/throwing-down-the-gauntlet-to-hi-point-fans/

jrmymiles
08-17-10, 15:33
I just purchased a S&W 36 for $200. If you look around the web they are all over. You might pay a little more than $200, but not much. Police carried them for years. No excuse not to arm yourself with a proper weapon.

Alpha Sierra
08-17-10, 17:31
I just purchased a S&W 36 for $200. If you look around the web they are all over. You might pay a little more than $200, but not much. Police carried them for years. No excuse not to arm yourself with a proper weapon.

Indeed.