PDA

View Full Version : An odd Glock issue - slide ALWAYS locks back, even cycled by hand

misanthropist
08-15-10, 14:26
I had my G20 out at the range on Friday and it began malfunctioning in an unusual way.

It locks back when cycled, regardless of anything.

Now the usual thing is to say, "operator error", but in this case I have ruled that out completely.

Not only does it lock back when fired, it locks back when cycled by hand, with the slide stop out of the frame.

In fact, I have stripped the frame of everything but the locking block, and it still does it.

As long as the barrel is in the slide and the locking block is in the frame, the slide locks back at full recoil. It will return forward if given a good smack.

About the only thing that looks out of place to me is that the tabs on the frame which stick up behind the locking block are a little high relative to the locking block - that is they stick up above the block itself, and the one on the right is a little chewed up. But I don't know if that's significant or not.

The only other information I can add is that the gun feels like it is "wedging" in to place. It's not so much that there is a part in the way that needs to be knocked out of place as that the slide is recoiling too far, say, and wedging the barrel into the locking block.

Does this ring any bells for anyone?

TheSmiter1
08-15-10, 14:56
That's odd if it still does it with the slide stop lever removed. Usually that's the culprit of constant slide lock...

sfguard
08-15-10, 18:04
Wow, I would bet that Glock would like to take a look at it. Give them a call:confused:

Robb Jensen
08-15-10, 18:52
Improper assembly.

misanthropist
08-15-10, 18:58
That's good news, but could you elaborate? I shot Aim Fast Hit Fast with this glock - well, at least day one was shot with this glock - and had no problems. It's had about another 500 - 700 rounds though it since then without issues, and the problem showed up mid-shoot on Friday.

So is something assembled incorrectly in the slide? The frame is stripped except for the locking block so it seems reasonable to conclude that the problem does not lie in the lower half.

Robb Jensen
08-15-10, 19:02
That's good news, but could you elaborate? I shot Aim Fast Hit Fast with this glock - well, at least day one was shot with this glock - and had no problems. It's had about another 500 - 700 rounds though it since then without issues, and the problem showed up mid-shoot on Friday.

So is something assembled incorrectly in the slide? The frame is stripped except for the locking block so it seems reasonable to conclude that the problem does not lie in the lower half.

Have you or anyone else taken the gun apart beyond field stripping?

Frame pins go out of the frame in this order.
Locking block pin (small metal one)
Trigger housing pin (small plastic one)
Trigger pin (large metal one)

To keep from F'ing up the assembly frames should be assembled in this order.
1st pin in should be the locking block pin (small metal one)
Trigger housing pin (small plastic one)
Slide in the slide stop lever keeping the spring under the locking block pin
Then install the trigger pin (large metal one)

I remove all pins from shooters left to right. They can be pushed either way but prefer them in/out the right side of the gun.

PRGGodfather
08-15-10, 19:04
Improper assembly.

Absolutely. Your slide lock lever spring is in the wrong position or may be broken.

The tail of the lever spring should be tucked under the top pin. This is a common mistake with some inexperienced folks who have stripped a Glock frame and reassembled it in what appears to be the correct configuration. If the tail of the spring is NOT tucked under the pin, what you speak of can happen rather easily. In fact, one of my friends was doing some kitchen table gunsmithing and had this happen to him -- and it was a simple enough to fix.

Just about any Glock armorer can take a look at this, and fix it for you -- unless there is something else wrong, too.

Just my $.02...

dvdlpzus
08-15-10, 19:06
If you live near me in AZ I can help you out. I am not a smith but have extensive time on my Glocks.

misanthropist
08-15-10, 19:08
Yes, I detail stripped the frame...but it was about 2000 rounds ago. I don't recall ever having stripped the slide on this gun but can't guarantee I never have; I have stripped a lot of guns over the years so it's possible I'm forgetting this one.

Assuming that this is the product of improper assembly, what mistake is likely to cause this malfunction?

PRGGodfather
08-15-10, 19:14
It's entirely possible the tail end of the lever spring has slipped out of position, since its reassembly. If you tucked the tail under one of the pins, you probably would have remembered that.

Take a look at the frame and the top pin. The tail end of the lever spring should UNDERNEATH the top frame pin, assuming you have a three pin Glock. It's the pin right above the trigger pivot pin.

When it comes to the locking of the slide to the rear, the issue is generally caused by the bottom half of the gun -- not the slide.

misanthropist
08-15-10, 19:16
Whoa, hey, replies are fast and furious now. Let me try to answer them in order:

Yes, I have disassembled it. The frame is disassembled now and the problem is still occurring.

The slide stop lever is not involved in the problem. The malfunction occurs with the slide stop out of the gun.

Sadly I don't live in Az...I'd melt. I'm in Canada and need freezing temperatures to live.

Anyway, the issue here is that the problem appears to happen even when the only components present are the frame, the barrel, the locking block, and the fully assembled slide.

If you rack the gun, with the slide, barrel, guide rod and locking block installed, but WITHOUT the trigger, trigger bar, slide stop, or trigger mech housing installed, it locks open when it reaches full extension, even if you rack it fairly gently.

I promise that if it were just a matter of the slide stop spring being installed wrong I would not have bugged you guys about it! It is only because the problem is, in my opinion anyway, seriously unusual that I am pestering this forum for help.

Robb Jensen
08-15-10, 19:23
Whoa, hey, replies are fast and furious now. Let me try to answer them in order:

Yes, I have disassembled it. The frame is disassembled now and the problem is still occurring.

The slide stop lever is not involved in the problem. The malfunction occurs with the slide stop out of the gun.

Sadly I don't live in Az...I'd melt. I'm in Canada and need freezing temperatures to live.

Anyway, the issue here is that the problem appears to happen even when the only components present are the frame, the barrel, the locking block, and the fully assembled slide.

If you rack the gun, with the slide, barrel, guide rod and locking block installed, but WITHOUT the trigger, trigger bar, slide stop, or trigger mech housing installed, it locks open when it reaches full extension, even if you rack it fairly gently.

I promise that if it were just a matter of the slide stop spring being installed wrong I would not have bugged you guys about it! It is only because the problem is, in my opinion anyway, seriously unusual that I am pestering this forum for help.

Weird. I've been shooting and working on Glocks since 1987. I have over 200K rounds though them. I however don't assemble my Glocks w/o a trigger bar or slide stop lever.....
I actually used my Gen 4 Glock 17 today in a USPSA match. First time I've used a Gen 4 in competition. Worked 100%.

PRGGodfather
08-15-10, 19:35
Sorry, brother -- copy that. That's definitely unusual. It may be time to give Glock a call.

varoadking
08-15-10, 19:48
I actually used my Gen 4 Glock 17 today in a USPSA match. First time I've used a Gen 4 in competition. Worked 100%.

Outstanding pieces, aren't they, Robb?

I'm pushing 3,000 rounds thru mine now after today, and it's been 100% as well. Shoots as softly as any piece I own...

Heavy Metal
08-15-10, 19:51
A friend of mine had a similar problem with his Sig P226.

Check your barrel for a bulge on the outside and a ring on the inside.

misanthropist
08-15-10, 19:52
Weird. I've been shooting and working on Glocks since 1987. I have over 200K rounds though them. I however don't assemble my Glocks w/o a trigger bar or slide stop lever.....

I don't doubt that and I have only done this partial assembly for troubleshooting purposes. I expected the problem to disappear when, for example, the trigger assembly was removed. Then I would have replaced the trigger assembly. You can no doubt see where I am going with this: I kept pulling parts and kept having the problem.

PRG, sfguard, I think you must be right... much larger brains than mine are required to solve this problem. I will contact Glock and see if they have advice for me.

misanthropist
08-15-10, 19:58
A friend of mine had a similar problem with his Sig P226.

Check your barrel for a bulge on the outside and a ring on the inside.

Oh, you're right.

Good call. I had lent the gun out to someone and apparently they had a squib.

Well, that's going to save me long distance charges to Glock, I guess.

Heavy Metal
08-15-10, 20:54
Ok guys, that was my forum post of the year.

My Armorer-Ninja-Fu was strongest on this date. Please make note.:ph34r:

Yeah, I figured out what was wrong with his Sig too.

Remember, if you hear no 'pop' the tap-rack-bang you should stop!

usmcvet
08-15-10, 21:07
Master Heavy Metal!

Damn, I am impressed. I was with assembled wrong because I've done the same thing myself.

I will have to remember that one so it was a buldged bbl.

skyugo
08-15-10, 21:35
Oh, you're right.

Good call. I had lent the gun out to someone and apparently they had a squib.

Well, that's going to save me long distance charges to Glock, I guess.

somebody owes ya a barrel :o

misanthropist
08-15-10, 22:49
Yeah, that barrel was tough to spot - the bulge was almost invisible from the outside but looking at the rifling it was pretty obvious.

The shooter can't be held liable though for two basic reasons:

a) the ammo was stuff I made and I knew there were a couple of squibs in the batch, I just thought I got them all, which in retrospect was a stupid gamble. I really, really thought I got them though. Now I'll be pulling 1100 bullets to make sure.

b) she's really, really hot.

usmcvet
08-15-10, 22:55
Well now you have a chance to show her how to reload, backwards at first then you and put em back together, together.

skyugo
08-16-10, 16:31
Well now you have a chance to show her how to reload, backwards at first then you and put em back together, together.

oh yeah, sounds like a winning date idea :o

usmcvet
08-16-10, 16:51
Come on reloading is a wicked romantic date! :D:D:p:p

oh yeah, sounds like a winning date idea :o

Zhurdan
08-16-10, 16:55
Just make sure you don't play "Light my fire" by the Doors and you should be ok. Glad you found the issue.

misanthropist
08-16-10, 18:33
Thankfully I have located a new barrel so the gun should be back up and running within a couple of days...

And nothing says "romantic date" like a Hornady cam-lock bullet puller, right? Well...maybe being married isn't so bad.

skyugo
08-16-10, 20:53
Come on reloading is a wicked romantic date! :D:D:p:p

ask me how i know it's not :o

Darkop
08-17-10, 00:14
Yeah, that barrel was tough to spot - the bulge was almost invisible from the outside but looking at the rifling it was pretty obvious.

The shooter can't be held liable though for two basic reasons:

a) the ammo was stuff I made and I knew there were a couple of squibs in the batch, I just thought I got them all, which in retrospect was a stupid gamble. I really, really thought I got them though. Now I'll be pulling 1100 bullets to make sure.

b) she's really, really hot.

You knew there was a potential problem with the ammo and then loaned it to someone else to shoot?????

This is one reason among many, why I NEVER shoot someone elses reloads.
Liability man, liability

Until that day,
Darkop

D. Christopher
08-17-10, 00:15
This happens more often than you think. The last time I let a hottie play with my gun I ended up with a bulged barrel too. (I'm sorry, it couldn't be helped.) :rolleyes:

misanthropist
08-17-10, 09:22
You knew there was a potential problem with the ammo and then loaned it to someone else to shoot?????

This is one reason among many, why I NEVER shoot someone elses reloads.
Liability man, liability

Until that day,
Darkop
Well, slow fire, moderately experienced shooter, careful explanation of squib phenomenon and a squib probability of something like one in a thousand...I don't think it was an egregious error, although I wouldn't do it again for obvious reasons.

Ga Shooter
08-17-10, 09:46
This happens more often than you think. The last time I let a hottie play with my gun I ended up with a bulged barrel too. (I'm sorry, it couldn't be helped.) :rolleyes:

ROFL. I knew something had to be coming:haha: