PDA

View Full Version : Do Mil-Spec and Commercial Buffer tubes have the same rate of thread?

OutlawtotheEnd
08-15-10, 18:46
I was wondering about the rate of thread on buffer tubes. I know the differences in diameter, length and profile, but what about the threads?

Can a mil-spec buffer tube be put on a commercially equipt lower receiver?

In conclusions are the thread rates different ?

Quiet-Matt
08-15-10, 18:52
Same, switch away

OutlawtotheEnd
08-15-10, 19:08

Robb Jensen
08-15-10, 19:39
Same thread pitch. Mil-spec receiver extensions have more complete threads. Whole peaks and valleys of the threads. Commercial receiver extensions have the tops of the peaks milled off.

jaxman7
08-15-10, 20:01
Expounding on what gotm4 said about the top part of the commercial tube threads. I believe this is the reason I see many commercial tubes appear to have their threads stripped. The threads on the tube and castle nut do not mate up as well together (compared to mil spec) and there is more play b/t them causing the aluminum to wear faster. Anyone else noticed this on the commercials as opposed to the mils?

Iraqgunz
08-15-10, 20:07
I would say that is a good theory. I know most of the ones I have seen that were dicked up were commercial ones.

Expounding on what gotm4 said about the top part of the commercial tube threads. I believe this is the reason I see many commercial tubes appear to have their threads stripped. The threads on the tube and castle nut do not mate up as well together (compared to mil spec) and their is more play b/t them causing the aluminum to wear faster. Anyone else noticed this on the commercials as opposed to the mils?