PDA

View Full Version : RRA issues

muddyhole
08-16-10, 15:24
in the closed m1 sales thread, there were a few comments about rra quality. i havent heard of any, please give me more info.

C4IGrant
08-16-10, 15:26
in the closed m1 sales thread, there were a few comments about rra quality. i havent heard of any, please give me more info.

You haven't heard of any quality RRA AR's or of any quality issues with RRA AR's?

C4

THCDDM4
08-16-10, 15:29
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=59526

There is one link to a bunch of knowledge based threads explaining answers to your question.

In short it is not a milspec weapon.

It lacks proper barrel steel, lacks certain testing to insure quality, lacks proper staking of gas keys and castle nut; lacks much much more; go look at the chart and see.

All in all RRA is a range rifle and not much more, not a battle rifle in any sense of the word. Overpriced and under built.

devilsdeeds
08-16-10, 15:31
You haven't heard of any quality RRA AR's or of any quality issues with RRA AR's?

C4

lol

Also checkout http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=13532

muddyhole
08-16-10, 15:37
i thought they had some govt contracts with the dea and others

THCDDM4
08-16-10, 15:45

They do; the govt. was trying to cut cost and corners, and there agents are finding out they suck and ditching them, there is a thread here along the lines of "DEA still buying RRA?" but I cannot find it and have not the time.

If you bought a RRA and are trying to justify the price tag, or justify the purchase; you'll find no real evidence to back you up. RRA is bottom barrel stuff, and not built to the minimum Milspec TDP standards. Period.

There are numerous threads on parts you can buy to upgrade your RRA to a better/more reliable rifle and make it closer to milspec; but if that is your route; I would say just ditch the RRA and buy from one of the top tier manufacturers; Daniel Defense, BCM, LMT, Colt, Noveske, Larue.

If all you're going to do/want out of the weapon is a (200) round range visit three times a year and nothing more; your RRA is just fine. If you want to attend some tactical classes or run the weapon hard, or trust it to save your/families lives; you need to make some serious (and costly) upgrades or go with a different rifle from one of the above manufacturers.

MarshallDodge
08-16-10, 15:50
Standard rather than H buffer, chambers that are typically on the tighter side, large gas port.

I have a RRA midlength and it runs fine with .223 loads but I have had a couple hangups with 5.56 loads. In comparison, my BCM midlength with the about the same amount of rounds has had zero failures no matter what I run through it.

I keep it around for the 1x9 twist so I can shoot varmints with 50 grain bullets.

THCDDM4
08-16-10, 15:54
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=637650

Another good thread regarding your questions.

muddyhole
08-16-10, 16:15
actually , all i bought RRA was a lower with the 2 stage nm trigger. i have heard of issues with the nm trigger not right lately

obucina
08-16-10, 16:21
It is amusing that there is a lead time for such horrendous build quality.

RogerinTPA
08-16-10, 17:06

Some government agencies are cost restricted and some are not. Those that are, have to get the most economical bang for their buck. Often, RRAs, Stag, etc...that are chosen are built to a slightly higher standard by the manufacturer (Tweaked) than the model you get at the gun store. If money wasn't an issue, they'd all be running Colt 6920s, LMTs, etc...