PDA

View Full Version : NO/Nitric Oxide supplements, latest study and comments

WillBrink
08-16-10, 18:36
Below are my comments on NO/Nitric Oxide supplements, with a few comments on a recent study. For those science minded types the abstract for that study, and the link to the full paper for those who wish to get the details, are on my site HERE. (http://www.brinkzone.com/supplement-science/nitric-oxide-supplements/) I have never had much faith in this category of supplements – for a variety of reasons – and this recent study adds additional confirmation to my generally low opinion of NO/Nitric Oxide formulas. My comments on NO supps:

http://www.youtube.com/user/willbrink#p/c/CA3D1E1610F4981D/17/k3zTDgNiZE8

Mjolnir
08-18-10, 10:23
Interesting. I've taken some and I do have energy but that's probably due to the "proprietary formulation" which is probably Taurine and caffeine! :secret:

I do take creatine on occasion (not sure of the longterm effects) but I'll not be purchasing NO products again anytime soon.

WillBrink
08-18-10, 12:01
Interesting. I've taken some and I do have energy but that's probably due to the "proprietary formulation" which is probably Taurine and caffeine! :secret:

They do tend to be loaded with stims yes.

I do take creatine on occasion (not sure of the longterm effects) but I'll not be purchasing NO products again anytime soon.

Creatine, is the good stuff with no lack of real data as to it's benefits, both in performance and health. It needs to be taken regularly for those benefits however.

orionz06
08-18-10, 17:22
The only benefit I have personally seen with several NO products was the energy boost pre-workout. I have also found that a good diet takes care of that.

cbyrd556
08-19-10, 17:46
Thanks Will for posting this. It is something I have been skeptical about as well, I'm glad to see more testing being done with the NO2 line of supplements. I remember when I was powerlifting for Football, I never took any supplements and was still able to outlift alot of the guys who were. I guess the placebo effect is mightier to some than scientific data. Thanks again Will.

WillBrink
08-19-10, 18:10
Thanks Will for posting this. It is something I have been skeptical about as well, I'm glad to see more testing being done with the NO2 line of supplements. I remember when I was powerlifting for Football, I never took any supplements and was still able to outlift alot of the guys who were. I guess the placebo effect is mightier to some than scientific data. Thanks again Will.

These products tend to contain various stims (caffeine and others), creatine, etc, so they may have been having an effect on you. As they can have 30+ ingredients, it's hard to know. This study, no, didn't find them to do anything special in a single/acute bout. BTW, the placebo effect is real, it is part of the data and science, and poorly understood on various fronts. It's simply part of the wonders that is the human brain, vs. some sort of failure. People are actually insulted if you suggest a placebo effect, when everyone will do it under the right conditions. Some more then others granted.:cool:

For example, you hear X product is great stuff (expectation bias), and it the label shows it has so many things in it, something has to work you figure. So, you go to the gym extra motivated, train extra hard, have a better then usual workout, and conclude the stuff is as good as everyone says it is. Thus, it had a measurable effect on you. However, the effect was totally self driven and had nothing to do with the product.

Mjolnir
08-23-10, 19:43
I find that several B12 drinks (w/o the sugars - artificial or otherwise) work very well. 1st Step for Energy B12 drink works. I prefer this to NOx pre-workout drinks.

Uin2it
09-17-10, 19:24
I have used a lot of different NO products and my fav by far is sold at NUTRISHOP it's called Vasocor. Great stuff!!

http://www.katalystnutraceuticals.com/

CGSteve
09-17-10, 20:51
Can creatine have side effects such as breakouts? I have heard this from many people who blamed their acne, and bacne for taking creatine. My complexion already isn't perfect, and I always avoided taking creatine for this very reason. Myth?

Thanks

ZuluDeltaBravo
09-19-10, 23:11
I'll admit that I bought into the hype of the NO products for a time. My own experience with it went mostly like this: Gut down the pre-workout NO wunder-mix du-jour, almost immediately have to crap my intestines out, get jittery as all hell, see almost no noticeable gains in my workout...repeat the next day. I also found that since my workouts were in the afternoon, the caffine in the mix would **** up my sleep.

This went on for about a year before I just stopped taking them all together. My sleep improved and I didn't have the meth shakes in the gym. I replaced the pre-workout mix with a daily dose of creatine and glutamine and a multivitamin, with protien as needed....Best damn move I've ever made in regards to my PT. Not only do I feel healthier and more energetic, but this set up is cheaper. By far.

J-Dub
09-22-10, 20:49
I think it all comes down to the individual. I have tried many NO2 products (superpump 250, black powder, NO2 black, Jack3d, ect)

I personally find that i get a better pump when taking an NO2 product.

Jack3d is a amazing....kinda mild on the pump side, hardcore on the stim end...