PDA

View Full Version : Is a Vortex flash hider too heavy for a DD 14.5 pencil barrel?

500grains
08-16-10, 20:26
I have a Daniel Defense 14.5 pencil barrel that I am ready to build into a complete upper. As it will not be put on an SBR receiver, I will get the flash hider pinned and welded. But I only want to do it once.

The DD pencil barrel is 0.625" diameter and quite light. The flash hider I would like to use is the Smith Vortex with carbide glass breaking spikes, as sold by CMMG. Here is one:

http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/images/1009-1588_th.jpg

My question is this: Will the Vortex flash hider be too heavy for the barrel and screw up its harmonics, thus having a negative effect on accuracy or repeatability?

Belmont31R
08-16-10, 21:06
No but you should rezero as changing muzzle devices usually has a decent POI shift.

TWR
08-16-10, 21:11
I have 2 on Colt 16" LW barrels and have no issues with them, I do however reccomend getting one that is already drilled for the pin. I put one on a Colt 14.5" and my Cobalt drill bits wouldn't touch it. I think BCM, P&K or Denny carried them predrilled, it's been a few years.

westcoastfrog
08-17-10, 00:19
works great, i have the exact same fh as pictured on 2 of my uppers. be careful with those carbide tips....i've broken 1 or 2 of those pretty easily.

bigkracka
08-17-10, 17:08
Not sure what weight would have to do with it, but I don't like the "ping!" they make when shooting. Don't know why people get all horny over muzzle devices, A2 does the job and would be fine for non mil/leo which most here probably are.

500grains
08-17-10, 17:30
A2 does the job and would be fine for non mil/leo which most here probably are.

A single shot would probably be fine for most in most situations but that is not the point. And most mil/leo use A2 still.

TehLlama
08-17-10, 19:02
I don't see all that much to gain - the A2X isn't bad, and the Battlecomp 1.5 will be along shortly.
I love my three G6A2s, but they tend to wind up on heavier profiled barrels just because they're thicker at the back.

Fried Chicken Blowout
08-17-10, 20:07
That is the same setup that S&W decided on for the new M&P15TS model (minus the pencil barrel... This is an M4 profile). I have one of the first production run rifles and everyone that pickes it up is very impressed with the overall weight of the rifle. 14.5" barrel with the Vortex getting it up to 16.25" from bolt face to barrel tip. I'm very happy with it and I think you will be as well. If you're going to perminately attach a flash hider to a barrel, you might as well get something nice like this the Vortex.... Go for it....

http://gallery.me.com/jason_alicia/100413/DSCN4460/web.jpg?ver=12818362180001