PDA

View Full Version : Is there anyone from the Netherlands here?

Fyrhazzrd
08-17-10, 15:39
Just out of curiosity I was browsing through some job postings up in the Netherlands, and I keep seeing something on most of the postings that I don't fully understand.

I know the education system there is a little different, but I keep seeing references to HBO.

I learned a little from Wiki on the subject, however the way it is worded in the job posting just doesn't make any sense.

The job postings always list it as:

HBO werk- en denkniveau
HBO Working and thinking

Now my understanding of HBO, is that first you achieve an MBO (4 year degree) Then upon completion of that you may apply to the HBO program ( much like the masters program here in the states) Which says that program can take 4-6 years to complete.

Where I am completely confused is the wording. I don't know if it is the language barrier or what:

How do you apply working and thinking to an education level? Are they just asking that you have comparable work experience and are able to work and problem solve at that level?

Yes, I know when I first read it I was thinking the same thing. Sweet a job where all I have to do is watch HBO.

Fyrhazzrd
08-18-10, 14:57
Well I guess Wiki was wrong. I received word from someone from the Netherlands on another forum that I frequent.

For those that are curious:

Mbo/HBO are both high school educations. MBO being a basic high school education and an HBO being a Higher profession education. The MBO is your basic 4 year high school education. And the HBO is usually about 6 Years. The way he explained it to me is that the HBO is equivalent to one year of college.