PDA

View Full Version : Noveske 6.5 Grendel SPR

CQB
07-28-06, 16:16
I'm attempting to build a long range SPR (or 20-24inch) in 6.5 Grendel.
Looking for a 6.5 Grendel made by Noveske. Has anyone heard anything yet on Noveske making a 6.5 Grendel barrel?
Also, any opinions on who makes the best 6.5 upper and bolt?
Thanks,

Nitrox
07-28-06, 16:36
Grendel reamers are proprietary so I doubt you will see a Noveske grendel barrel.

As far as I know AA is the only outlet.

C4IGrant
07-28-06, 16:54
I'm attempting to build a long range SPR (or 20-24inch) in 6.5 Grendel.
Looking for a 6.5 Grendel made by Noveske. Has anyone heard anything yet on Noveske making a 6.5 Grendel barrel?
Also, any opinions on who makes the best 6.5 upper and bolt?
Thanks,

I am working on this right now (playing middle man between Bill A. and Noveske).

C4

DocGKR
07-28-06, 17:29
Assuming it would shoot as well as or better than Noveske's 16" 6.8 mm's, you should have one NICE long range rifle. Good luck!

VA_Dinger
07-29-06, 14:38
That sounds like a very interesting combination. I look forward to hearing how well it performs.

CQB
07-30-06, 17:16
Thanks C4, Please let Noveske no I'll buy in advanced if neccesary for a prototype.
CQB

Nitrox
07-30-06, 18:05
With all due respect, the chamber reamers for 6.5 are proprietary. If you want a Poly rifled barrel you can purchase a PacNor blank (which is what Noveske uses) and have it sent to AA. They will cut any tube you want.

C4IGrant
07-30-06, 20:06
With all due respect, the chamber reamers for 6.5 are proprietary. If you want a Poly rifled barrel you can purchase a PacNor blank (which is what Noveske uses) and have it sent to AA. They will cut any tube you want.

The barrels that Noveske uses are indeed Pac Nor, but that is about where the similarities stop. There is more to their barrels than just a PacNor blank.

C4

9DivDoc
07-30-06, 20:44
Grant you're a good man....

Noveske 18" mid length gas system with a medium contour...por favor..

Sign me up....

Nitrox
07-30-06, 21:35
The barrels that Noveske uses are indeed Pac Nor, but that is about where the similarities stop. There is more to their barrels than just a PacNor blank.

C4

Sure, contour and chamber. But when the 6.5 Grendel chamber is property of AA all that leaves is countour...which can be anything a customer wants. There for, it makes sense just to send a PacNor blank to AA if poly rifling is the criteria.

ETA: Of course the similarities stop at the blank, PacNor sells Noveske Blanks and then Noveske turns them into functioning barrels.

C4IGrant
07-30-06, 22:10
Sure, contour and chamber. But when the 6.5 Grendel chamber is property of AA all that leaves is countour...which can be anything a customer wants. There for, it makes sense just to send a PacNor blank to AA if poly rifling is the criteria.

ETA: Of course the similarities stop at the blank, PacNor sells Noveske Blanks and then Noveske turns them into functioning barrels.

Noveske does more things to his barrels than just the obvious things. ;) I also know that a customer called Pac Nor to get a Poly barrel contoured to his specs and he said that it was VERY difficult.

C4

Nitrox
07-30-06, 22:47
Like what? He has proprietary chambers and profiles. What's left? Hand lapping, crown, and cryo? It is a barrel, not voodoo.

I haven't ever heard of any more features and would assume that based on the level of marketing of Noveske products anything else would be made public.

Either way, as of right now 6.5 Grendel is property of AA. If someone wants a Poly rifled Grendel then they need to send a PacNor blank to AA.

stephen
07-31-06, 06:29
Like what? He has proprietary chambers and profiles. What's left? Hand lapping, crown, and cryo? It is a barrel, not voodoo.

I haven't ever heard of any more features and would assume that based on the level of marketing of Noveske products anything else would be made public.

Either way, as of right now 6.5 Grendel is property of AA. If someone wants a Poly rifled Grendel then they need to send a PacNor blank to AA.

You realize that because it is proprietary that also means that Bill Alexander has the option of licensing the rights to the reamers. What makes you so sure that he would be unwilling to do that with such a respected barrel maker?

Stephen

Bill Alexander
07-31-06, 07:35
I am very happy to be in communication with Grant with respect to this project, and I forsee no problems with getting it running (appologies to Grant for being slow to reply to his e-mails).

To tidy up the speculation concerning how this would be done, I would simply sign off reamers for Grant/Noveske to use. A good barrel maker will always match the pilot to the barrel he is chambering, but more importantly he will match the flute load and surface speeds to the barrel steel and rifling patern he is cutting to avoid vibration, I have even seen some of the best makers regrind the reamer with a different relief angle. Noveske knows their barrels best so cutting the chamber will rest with them.

Barrels are voodoo. In consideration of lapping a barrel, you can not only consider the surface finish but also how the finish was brought to that level (grain direction of the lap marks and the condition of edges of those marks, usually a consideration of the media), the bore taper, how the land edges are worked, lapped after chambering or before, throat dressing, these are but a few of the considerations. Again different steels and different rifling profiles change everything.

Bill Alexander

C4IGrant
07-31-06, 08:46
I am very happy to be in communication with Grant with respect to this project, and I forsee no problems with getting it running (appologies to Grant for being slow to reply to his e-mails).

To tidy up the speculation concerning how this would be done, I would simply sign off reamers for Grant/Noveske to use. A good barrel maker will always match the pilot to the barrel he is chambering, but more importantly he will match the flute load and surface speeds to the barrel steel and rifling patern he is cutting to avoid vibration, I have even seen some of the best makers regrind the reamer with a different relief angle. Noveske knows their barrels best so cutting the chamber will rest with them.

Barrels are voodoo. In consideration of lapping a barrel, you can not only consider the surface finish but also how the finish was brought to that level (grain direction of the lap marks and the condition of edges of those marks, usually a consideration of the media), the bore taper, how the land edges are worked, lapped after chambering or before, throat dressing, these are but a few of the considerations. Again different steels and different rifling profiles change everything.

Bill Alexander

Thanks for the info Bill.

C4

C4IGrant
07-31-06, 08:48

Sorry, I do not share companies industry sectrets. As Bill A. pointed out, making barrels is voodoo (an art form if you will). The public doesn't need to know everything about every product. ;)

C4

DevilDog
07-31-06, 09:48
This is very exciting news. I always need more ways to spend my $! :p

Anytime two good ventures can come together to get something like this to market is a good thing.

My thanks to all involved to make this happen!

Hoplophile
07-31-06, 10:21
This is great news. I have been assembling parts for my next build and was planning a 6.x SPR-type rifle. I think 6.5 is better suited to my needs but wanted to use a Noveske barrel.

CapnCrunch
07-31-06, 21:15
Glad to have you onboard Bill! Now, if you'd just be around your damned phone more often ;)

55Kingpin
07-31-06, 22:14
[cartman] F'in SWEET! [cartman/]

I'm diggin a 16-18" light-medium contour 6.5G Recce type rifle. I hope everything can be worked out between the parties.

Bill is a true asset to this site. A gentleman and a straight-shooter (in the figurative sense). :p

CQB
08-01-06, 14:04
Nitrox, I think Bill set it straight. Thanks Bill.
I am very glad to see that the thread has started something.
Grant, got the latest shipment buy(ie. CTR). Thanks, let me know if things work out with Noveske on the 6.5 and I'll route funds.
Steve

CQB
08-01-06, 14:19
:rolleyes: I just want to make sure I get the first out there? Right?

9DivDoc
08-09-06, 18:13
Anymore updates on this barrel Grant?.....

I may have to sell the wife's dog while she's at work.....

Wonder if she'll believe this one ran away....too?

or notice the coincidence of them running away and UPS
dropping off BC or G&R packages a week or so later...?

Grant.........will this be available in their Lt.Wt. contour?....

tia

C4IGrant
08-09-06, 19:36
Anymore updates on this barrel Grant?.....

I may have to sell the wife's dog while she's at work.....

Wonder if she'll believe this one ran away....too?

or notice the coincidence of them running away and UPS
dropping off BC or G&R packages a week or so later...?

I am talking with Bill A. now and will be moving forward with this.

C4

55Kingpin
08-20-06, 21:07
Any new info on this?

C4IGrant
08-21-06, 08:38
Any new info on this?

I have the contract from AA and am now going to get with Noveske to work out some details.

C4

55Kingpin
08-21-06, 21:32
I have the contract from AA and am now going to get with Noveske to work out some details.

C4

:D Sweet!

ETA: I just noticed that Competition Shooting Sports is now selling Lothar Walther barrels with AA bolts and fitted gas blocks......

CQB
08-28-06, 17:14
I would love to put one on a Vltor MUR ASAP and see what it can do with good glass!:eek:

SHIVAN
08-28-06, 19:34
I couldn't wait any longer....I got the CSS 18" 6.5G package and I'm contemplating taking it to Wyoming to hunt antelope.

I may get a Noveske too, but I'll let you all know how the LW barrel shoots.:cool:

55Kingpin
08-28-06, 21:13
I couldn't wait any longer....I got the CSS 18" 6.5G package and I'm contemplating taking it to Wyoming to hunt antelope.

I may get a Noveske too, but I'll let you all know how the LW barrel shoots.:cool:

I'd bet it shoots just fine. :D

MudBug
09-12-06, 20:12

I have one of their 22" kits coming soon, so now all I need is the Larue Upper receiver, good glass, and some ****ing ammo. :confused:

There isn't a box to be found for sale anywhere, and no brass either. Good thing it will be a month or so before this project is complete or I would be a bit cranky about this.

I waited quite awhile before buying anything Grendel, but I figured it had be around long enough now to have some support, but this is a bit scary finding out right after dumping cash for a kit that there is nothing I can shoot through it unless I feel like trying to make my own brass from 7.62 Commie brass.

SHIVAN
09-12-06, 21:27
Ammo availability is a bitch. Wish CSS's site mentioned it, other than the generic catch all "Some Alexander Arms items are backordered 8-12 weeks." :(

I was wanting to take this to Wyoming and kill an Antelope with it.

Oh well, a .308 bolt gun is nice too.:p

MudBug
09-12-06, 21:43
Ammo availability is a bitch. Wish CSS's site mentioned it, other than the generic catch all "Some Alexander Arms items are backordered 8-12 weeks." :(

I was wanting to take this to Wyoming and kill an Antelope with it.

Oh well, a .308 bolt gun is nice too.:p

Well, from what I've read BA has been testing Wolf's offerings this month for his approval, There is a rumor Wolf will also be offering brass for sale.

Lapua brass is expected the end of this month, and the expectation is that their supply problems have been worked out.

So I hope that things will be looking up on the supply side for ammo. I hope this is true since I've noticed that more barrel makers are starting to offer 6.5 grendel as an option, and Sabre is now offering rifles in 6.5 Grendel. I would think that without ammo their products are worthless, and they wouldn't be happy about it.

Griz
09-13-06, 07:57
Well, from what I've read BA has been testing Wolf's offerings this month for his approval,

I'm just worried about price... When the price for this Wolf Grendel ammo was forecast as being in the $5 to $7 range per box, steel cased Wolf was $100 per case.... I'm guessing it'll be closer to $12/box now.

MudBug
09-13-06, 11:20
I'm just worried about price... When the price for this Wolf Grendel ammo was forecast as being in the $5 to $7 range per box, steel cased Wolf was $100 per case.... I'm guessing it'll be closer to $12/box now.

If (and I do me IF) this ammo turns out to be semi-accurate, then that price isn't bad. I have a Winchester Mod 70 chambered in 270 WSM that has been my main "Larger" game rifle for a few years. Ammo for that costs $22 - $32 /box of 20.

CQB
09-15-06, 19:05
I think it all depends on your application. If your looking to build a Mk12 cheap replacement then, or even an SPR upgrade then 6.5 wouldn't be that bad because your not going to hose a bunch of rounds at the range, but rather looking for well placed shots. But on the other hand if your looking at a battle field rifle replacement for the M4, then "Houston We Have A Problem". Buku bucks. Personally, I'm looking for a cheap semi auto alternative to my .338 Lapua that has ridiculous operating costs!

MudBug
09-15-06, 20:04
I think it all depends on your application. If your looking to build a Mk12 cheap replacement then, or even an SPR upgrade then 6.5 wouldn't be that bad because your not going to hose a bunch of rounds at the range, but rather looking for well placed shots. But on the other hand if your looking at a battle field rifle replacement for the M4, then "Houston We Have A Problem". Buku bucks. Personally, I'm looking for a cheap semi auto alternative to my .338 Lapua that has ridiculous operating costs!

I'm looking for 1000 yard precision goodness. My choices were a a 308 platform AR, or a Grendel upper for my SPR.

45-Bravo
09-25-06, 19:37
Sounds very interesting!

AmmoUp
10-07-06, 20:26
we are talking a a poly Noveske right.

That would be outstanding.

M4Guru
10-08-06, 09:40
Yeah, I want this project to come to life soon, so my wife can get me a 6.5G barrel for Christmas.

I like my 6.8 guns OK, but I need an imtermediate caliber AR for long range shooting.

jmart
10-08-06, 10:13
If (and I do me IF) this ammo turns out to be semi-accurate, then that price isn't bad. I have a Winchester Mod 70 chambered in 270 WSM that has been my main "Larger" game rifle for a few years. Ammo for that costs $22 - $32 /box of 20.

That's why God made reloading dies and presses and all that junk.

MudBug
10-08-06, 13:27

Yup, it's currently the only thing I do reload for on my little Rock-Chucker.

SHIVAN
10-08-06, 20:07

Not interested in that route....:(

Slu54
10-08-06, 21:50
Wow, a Noveske 6.5 barrel is excellent news!

First post.

bigant
10-09-06, 15:08
Not interested in that route....:(

When are you going to Wyoming? Since I have a box of 120's that I'll sell you if I dont get my Grendel up and running for hunting season. I should know here real soon if I am able to get it done.

Ant

Also just a FYI about reamearshttp://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=329990

SHIVAN
10-09-06, 15:29
When are you going to Wyoming?

Saturday. It's too close now to risk it. I'm just gonna use the .308 bolt gun, and get the Grendel ready for next year. Thanks for the offer though. :p

CQB
11-01-06, 17:39
What happened to John Noveske and Bill Alexander birthing the greatest SPR ever?
:mad:

shark31
11-01-06, 19:12
Is there anyone that has a 20"+ barrel that has found enough ammo to break it in? How were the group sizes at 600-800 meters? Just looking for some user feedback from the guys with longer barrels that shoot at distance. I'm moving my personal range back a little to around 850 yds this weekend for my new bolt gun and was thinking that Santa might bring me a 24" Grendel if it's as good as it's cracked up to be at distance (and after Wolf for sure comes on board with Lapua).

PS__Are AA's dies compatible with Dillon machines?