PDA

View Full Version : How to tell if a PMAG will drop free or not

EoPoint
08-18-10, 17:02
I found this to be interesting and thought i would pass it on...

PMAG 30 (manufactured in 09)

Above the date code there is a M# ( ie: M1, M2, M3, M4, etc)

I have tried mags mfg 1/09, 3/09, 4/09.

I have tried Colt, LMT, and Bushmaster lowers.

Mags were M1, M2, M3, M4, M7, M8 marked

All M1 and M2 marked mags did not fall free from any of the lowers.

All the M3, M4, M7, M8 marked mags fell free from all lowers.

Anyone else have silimar findings?

Belmont31R
08-18-10, 17:08
Ive only had one PMAG that didnt drop free, and that was solved with a file and 2 minutes of my time.

Chameleox
08-18-10, 18:30
^That.

Personally, I still practice manually stripping magazines from my magwell. If the PMag drops, thats good; if it doesn't, that's fine. I don't rely on manufacture dates or series numbers to keep me from having a stuck magazine.

markm
08-18-10, 18:34
^That.

Personally, I still practice manually stripping magazines from my magwell. If the PMag drops, thats good; if it doesn't, that's fine. I don't rely on manufacture dates or series numbers to keep me from having a stuck magazine.

AMEN! A mag never drops free when you need it to. I always assume it won't.

500grains
08-18-10, 21:58
The OP confused me.

THCDDM4
08-19-10, 12:32
I have never had a mag not drop free, ever; do certain manufacturers lowers/magwells have greater tendencies to hold onto mags? Or possibly specific magwells coupled with specific mags?

fullmetalredhead
08-19-10, 12:40
I have four M02 PMAGs and they all drop easily.

ForTehNguyen
08-19-10, 14:59
its mostly going to depend on the manufacturing tolerances of the lower's magwell. I have CMMG and DPMS lowers that drop old and RevM pmags free. My Cav Arms MkII polymer lower didnt drop them free initially but I shaved out the magwell a little to fix that.

Zhurdan
08-19-10, 15:12
How about put the mag in the gun and press the mag release? Does it drop free?

Not being snarky, but I'd bet that 80-90% of people that are buying PMags are buying them sight unseen off the internet, so reading manufactures date codes isn't really possible prior to purchase.

Besides, they can be altered ever so slightly with some sand paper to be made to work just fine. Much easier to alter a cheap consumable part like a magazine than worry about modifying a lower receiver.

Quentin
08-19-10, 21:24
My 09 M6 PMAGs drop free from my S&W lower (which I've heard has a tight magwell). Don't have any other codes.

CarlosDJackal
08-20-10, 22:38
How to tell if a PMAG will drop free or not

1) Clear your rifle.

2) Insert an empty PMag into the magazine well until it locks in place.

3) Press the magazine release.

A magazine that hits the ground is drop free. One that doesn't is not. :jester:

Belmont31R
08-20-10, 23:16
1) Clear your rifle.

2) Insert an empty PMag into the magazine well until it locks in place.

3) Press the magazine release.

A magazine that hits the ground is drop free. One that doesn't is not. :jester:

Ill add that a PMAG that doesn't drop free can 90% of the time be "fixed" by taking a flat bastard file to the two little lugs on the back strap of the mag. File those down a few strokes at a time until the mag drops free. Its almost always "that" fitment that is the issue not side to side.

Finish up with some 600G sand paper, and you should have a functioning mag.

Ive also taken a file to mags where the cover fits onto the back strap. Some of my covers have a little notch in there, and some dont. If you look on the mag some are cut for the notch, and some are not. Some PMAG covers will pop off by themselves if you put an unnotched cover on a notched magazine. I can take pics if someone needs them as its a bit confusing just typing it out.

Id really only suspect a tight mag well if I tried some USGI mags like NHMTG or Okay, and had issues with those. Magpul makes a great mag but with the qty they are putting out you cant expect 100% of the mags you get to function 100% with every weapon. Ive had to file on a few to get them working in a particular combo.

Ive actually had 100% success with EMAGS. Ive fired around 3-4k rounds out of about 10 I have, and never had an issue with either dropping free or the feed cover issue. They are twice as spending but serve as my GT ammo holders due to the success Ive had with them.

ForTehNguyen
08-21-10, 09:07
emags are the thinnest, suppose to work with the tighest of magwells like in SCARs, AUGs, HK416s