PDA

View Full Version : Question: Transferring a handgun via USPS

Skyyr
08-19-10, 09:44
I finally sold one of my full-size handguns to fund a compact (just awaiting funds at this point). The only catch is that the buyer is from very-far-west Alaska (100 miles south of the Artic circle) and none of the standard carriers deliver there aside from USPS.

My local FFL doesn't ship USPS (nor do any others that I know of locally), but I explained the issue to them anyways. They said they would give me a copy of their FFL to take to the post office and to use their return address for the shipping to the other FFL.

Now, the law states that only an FFL may mail a handgun through the USPS and then only to another FFL. First off, is it "legal" for me to mail it for them? Secondly, does the handgun have to be on their books before they can mail it? I would assume no, but I want to double-check.

Thanks in advance...

John_Wayne777
08-19-10, 09:46
To send it through an FFL they have to log the gun in their records and then ship it to the other FFL when they have a signed copy of his/her license. They cannot simply hand you a signed copy of their license and send you to the post office...not unless they want trouble from the BATFE when inspection time comes.

C4IGrant
08-19-10, 10:00
I finally sold one of my full-size handguns to fund a compact (just awaiting funds at this point). The only catch is that the buyer is from very-far-west Alaska (100 miles south of the Artic circle) and none of the standard carriers deliver there aside from USPS.

My local FFL doesn't ship USPS (nor do any others that I know of locally), but I explained the issue to them anyways. They said they would give me a copy of their FFL to take to the post office and to use their return address for the shipping to the other FFL.

Now, the law states that only an FFL may mail a handgun through the USPS and then only to another FFL. First off, is it "legal" for me to mail it for them? Secondly, does the handgun have to be on their books before they can mail it? I would assume no, but I want to double-check.

Thanks in advance...

No, not legal.

You will need to find an FFL and have them ship the gun via USPS for you.

C4

Skyyr
08-19-10, 10:24
Awesome - thanks guys. I'll simply try to find someone who will ship it for me.

SteyrAUG
08-19-10, 12:39
A FFL has to register with the post office to be able to ship handguns. Only a FFL who has done so may legally ship a handgun with the USPS.

Problem is most FFLs are too busy to want to stand in line at the post office. UPS and FedEx come to them.

This is why you might have a hard time finding a FFL who will do it for you, and the ones who do often charge a significant amount for the service making them about the same as UPS or FedEx.

kwelz
08-19-10, 16:35
Last time I shipped a gun to Alaska it never got there. :(

SteyrAUG
08-19-10, 22:21
Last time I shipped a gun to Alaska it never got there. :(

I would never ship without insurance. I lost a watch doing that once a long time ago.

kwelz
08-19-10, 22:22
I would never ship without insurance. I lost a watch doing that once a long time ago.

It was insured. Buyer didn't contact me for months about it not getting there so I didn't know about it till it was way to late.