PDA

View Full Version : Custom Solar Force weapon light?

Glockster35
08-19-10, 14:05
I am considering building my own weapon light from Solar Force/Lighthound.

What items should I use for this build? I know nothing about doing this.

I plan on using a Viking Tactical light mount. So something thte size of a Surefire 6p or G2 would be my preference.

Would also like to have a jagged front edge on the lens.

PrivateCitizen
08-19-10, 14:37

I plan on using a Viking Tactical light mount. So something thte size of a Surefire 6p or G2 would be my preference.

Would also like to have a jagged front edge on the lens.

I just picked up a standard L2P + the L2-S3 tailcap (for momentary on) about 3 weeks ago (sbflashlights.com). The standard front end, called the Crenelation, was enough for me. Got the 3 Mode drop-in.

It is a great light and I consider so far as decent as my Surefire G2.

If I did it again I'd probably just get the 1 mode and call it a day.

Toggling modes, settings and all that is a pain. If I ever called on in under stress I'd not probably get what I needed. Needless fussing.

I have considered adding a small 20 lumen light independently mounted as a navigation tool and the L2P as the bright throw. Not sure about that though.

Your assessment that a VTAC or any good 1" mount is spot-on and it will work fine.

Fit, finish, etc all are just fine and I think it is a good light sans the panache or price tag.

ShipWreck
09-13-10, 19:15
Just got my Sand colored solarforce in today - it has the nicest anodizing out of all of them. Cool color too.

Now I have 4 solarforces :)

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/solarforces2.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/solarforces3.jpg

BrianS
09-13-10, 20:45
Is the one on the bottom supposed to look like a lightsaber or is that just the scariest looking impact bezel ever made?

TehLlama
09-13-10, 21:09
I've got an old single mode Q5 6V unit I've ran on my M4A1 clone for a couple years - it runs well, but likely to get phased out by a Surefire LED model that doesn't output nearly the lumens.

ShipWreck
09-20-10, 14:55
Is the one on the bottom supposed to look like a lightsaber or is that just the scariest looking impact bezel ever made?

It DOES sorta look like a lightsaber - but it just has a killer stainless steel bezel...

This is it before I put the haed and tail onto a 2 cell flashlight body...

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/light6-1.jpg

Vorpal_weapon
09-20-10, 15:10

What do you plan to mount it on? Does the weapon already have a rail system or an accessory rail? If not, you'll need a place to attach that VTAC mount. Rail options are generally weapon specific.

Its really not too hard. You need: 1) a host - bezel/body/tailcap (Solar Force L2 should be OK), 2) a light module (frequently called an engine) - I recommend Malkoff, but there are other good options (SureFire for example - I'd stay away from the Chinese units), and 3) a mounting system (you mentioned a VTAC mount which is OK, but its designed to clamp onto a rail).

Additionally, you may want to consider a different tailcap than the reverse clicky unit that comes with the L2. I would think you'll want a forward clicky switch - momentary with a slight push and clicks for ON. I'm personally fond of the SureFire Z48/Z49 switches for weapon lights -I don't like multi-function switches or tape switches.

HTH

Freelance
10-03-10, 17:59
I just assembled 2 of the L2's myself and am anxious to mount them on a weapon and see how they do. I like that I can choose some of the build options like head, how many modes, and what type of battery. Well see if they hold up to everyday bumps and drops. I also chose to upgrade the tail caps to a forward click switch with side protection.

ShipWreck
10-30-10, 15:35
Pic of my 8 Solarforce lights now :)

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/Sf000.jpg

And,

My flashlight collection now :)

- Eagletac M2XC4 MKII Cool LED
- Eagletac P20C2 MKII Cool LED
- Eagletac T20C2 MKII Cool LED
- Eagletac T100C2 MK II Cool LED
- Inova T2-MP
- Inova XO
- Inova XO3
- Solarforce L2 (R2 Drop in - Sand colored)
- Solarforce L2 (R5 Drop in - Gunmetal)
- Solarforce L2 (R2 Drop in - Black with "attack bezel")
- Solarforce L2P (R5 Drop in - Black with stainless strike bezel)
- Solarforce L2P (R5 Drop in - Black with stainless strike bezel)
- Solarforce L2M (R2 Drop in - Black with black strike bezel)
- Solarforce L2M (R2 Drop in - Black with small black bezel)
- Solarforce L2X (R2 Drop in - Black two cell model)
- Maglight 3D LED
- Maglight w/ Fusion 36 Showerhead LED
- Mini Maglite with LED Conversion
- Coleman Max AAA (Spot to Flood model)
- C30 Flood-to-Throw AAA
- C30 Flood-to-Throw AAA

----------------------------------
21 total :)

Freelance
11-16-10, 17:21
I just built my 5th unit last week. I also finally had a chance to fire a few of the rifles that these are mounted too. All units performed perfectly without malfunction, put about 500 rounds down range with the two different rifles. I particularly like the LM2 host body for the ability to use a single cell in the unit, I have been using it as a EDC in single cell form for the last week or so. Thumbs up, people at lighthound.com were very helpful and courteous with my questions.

Vic303
11-16-10, 21:20
Sweet! I have been looking at running the L2M myself, as I am no fan of 2xcr123 lights. What dropin are you using? Is it the 0.8-4.2v single mode?

Deaj
01-06-11, 20:24
I found out about SolarForce lights about a month ago and, after some research online, decided to order a L2P and a forward clicky tail cap. I've been carrying the L2P with a (claimed) 300 lumen single-mode Cree R2 drop-in on a pair of 1400mAH CR123's for a couple of weeks now and I'm pretty impressed so far. I use a light all the time on the job and I like this light better than the SureFire G2L and StreamLight PolyTac LED lights I've been carrying recently. I ordered a few more L2P's with several 1-mode and 3-mode drop-in's and forward clicky tail caps. Each light cost about as much as a Streamlight PolyTac LED (nice light though not as bright as the L2P / R2 Cree setup). Assuming these hold up as well as they have for other folks I consider them to be a bargain. I won't be replacing any of my SureFire and Streamlight weapon lights with SolarForce lights but I think they'll work out well for carry and utility lights. Time and abuse will tell.

Here's a picture of my current EDC (Kel Tec PF-9 / Gerber Covert FAST / SolarForce L2P):
http://home.centurytel.net/flanneldrawers/edc1.jpg

markm
01-06-11, 20:33
I'm a Solarforce lover. All my ARs have them.

Go with the L2p if you are tossing it in a Size critical mount. The L2 has a slightly smaller outer diameter on the body. It works with the Vltor mount.

The optimal set up is a GearSector mount with an L2P in my opinion.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/trixiebud/CIMG3504.jpg?t=1294367570

NoveskeFan
01-06-11, 20:44
I'm a Solarforce lover. All my ARs have them.

Go with the L2p if you are tossing it in a Size critical mount. The L2 has a slightly smaller outer diameter on the body. It works with the Vltor mount.

The optimal set up is a GearSector mount with an L2P in my opinion.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/trixiebud/CIMG3504.jpg?t=1294367570

Very nice! You just sold me on that set up!

blake-b
01-07-11, 17:05
I bought a solarforce L2 host, an 18650 battery, and the nailbender SST-90 3 mode drop in. It is not on my AR but on my duty belt. However, it may end up there or I will buy another similar set up. I have on the AR, A G2 in a gear sector mount with a Malkoff M60.

If you really need to LIGHT an area up, the SST-90 does that and does it well. It is very noticably brighter with a lot of spill when compared to the M60.