PDA

View Full Version : Could we have a Hunting section?

crossgun
08-19-10, 14:16
First, I know it’s a tactical forum and not a hunting forum yet from the robs "Bone Collector” post it seems obvious to me that many of the members like most gun guys are hunters.

Second, allot of the other "gun" forums have hunting sections. I know we are not like the other forums but why not have a place to share stories and photos?

So robs doesn’t get it. It’s not a problem; it’s an opportunity for us as hunters, sportsman and conservationist to educate. We have been under fire for ever and the hate continues but we need to be proactive and educate those who don’t understand. We are not going to change everyone’s mind but at least maybe they will learn something. It’s no different than explaining to your friends or family why you carry. While it is none of their business they really do want to understand.

Some of you will remember when Jim Zumbo opened his mouth negatively about black rifles in general. It just about ruined his career in the shooting sports industry. Through education and our efforts he changed his mind and now understands. and has apologized for his ignorance.

Train, train, train, and train for what? At least hunting lets you put your skills to the test. No shot timer, no complicated classes and no 180 to break!

Which AR owning tree hugger, save the kittens, animal loving don’t kill for sport fag doesn’t want to take that wild hog hunt from a moving helicopter?

A hunting area is something we should consider. Why not?

Gutshot John
08-19-10, 14:17
I'm "in"! ;)

Artos
08-19-10, 16:58
I'm guessing some of the sponsors would dig it...I do a texas hunting forum & get my fix over there, but would be cool to see what other m4 members are into & some different dirt.

South tx is pretty unique & you weirdos who hunt in anything under 40 degrees are nutz...:p

R.P.
08-20-10, 13:48
I would like this as well.

rob_s
08-20-10, 13:51
I think it's a good idea. Even if folks are active, avid hunters having the skills to do so certainly plays into the "Preparation, Preparedness & Prevention" section. One could, however, make an argument that hunting-related posts could go in the "Fieldcraft and Survival" sub-section. Had I known that Bone Collector was NOT a reference to the film by the same name I would have put my post there. :eek:

kaiservontexas
08-20-10, 15:21
Sounds good to me

500grains
08-20-10, 21:05
Although I personally would like it, not all shooters are hunters, and I would not want anyone who is a shooter but is not a hunter to go elsewhere.

meausoc
08-20-10, 21:36
Good idea. I hunt coyote's with my 6920.

Norinco
08-20-10, 21:44
I think it would be very beneficial to have a hunting thread.

Alpha Sierra
08-20-10, 23:05
Although I personally would like it, not all shooters are hunters, and I would not want anyone who is a shooter but is not a hunter to go elsewhere.

They can

A) stay out of the hunting subforum and enjoy the rest

or

B) leave anyway if the mere existence of a hunting subforum offends their sensibilities so much.

RyanB
08-20-10, 23:55
I'm guessing some of the sponsors would dig it...I do a texas hunting forum & get my fix over there, but would be cool to see what other m4 members are into & some different dirt.

South tx is pretty unique & you weirdos who hunt in anything under 40 degrees are nutz...:p

It was two degrees below zero when I shot my buffalo.

So yeah, I'm in.

TWR
08-21-10, 17:38
I hunt coyotes and pretty much anything else. I'd like to see a hunting section, especially a hunting with AR's section.

kry226
08-21-10, 20:23
I've almost asked this question a few dozen times, but never had the time or cajones to do it. Bravo.

Count me in.

Norinco
08-21-10, 20:36

I doubt anyone will leave because of one hunting thread. There is an abundance of information on this forum, and a hunting thread will simply add to that information. There is something here for all shooters.

Bobert0989
08-21-10, 23:20
+1 here, I'd like to see just how many people actually do USE their "evil black rifles" for more than pretty pictures...

And it would be a good place to discuss different calibers/rifle platforms/setups for different regions and areas of the country.

I don't hunt much, just every dove season and deer once a year here in KY, but love reading stories of those "500 yard Prarie-dog shots"...lol

ucrt
08-21-10, 23:37

I'd like it especially if it was hunting with AR's and its "derivatives".

liaisons
08-22-10, 00:03
Great suggestion!

kry226
08-22-10, 05:41

I'd like it especially if it was hunting with AR's and its "derivatives".

But should the site decide to create a hunting sub-forum, it shouldn't be limited to just AR-platform hunting. There are other sub-forums here at M4C that are dedicated to other weapons platforms that fit in very well here. Hunting should be about hunting.

TWR
08-22-10, 14:19
I find it odd that we can talk about training to "shoot smelly bearded men in the face" but some get offended if one chooses to "go out for dinner".

Terry
08-25-10, 15:55
I think it would be a good idea as well.

Nexus7
08-26-10, 13:41
Good idea.

Watrdawg
08-26-10, 15:16
Great idea! If it has fur or feathers I'll hunt it.

Ric_Knight
08-26-10, 16:39
Yes, A hunting section is a cool idea. Add one more Yes vote to the tally.

Bobert0989
09-18-10, 04:58
Did anything ever come of this? Was it taken into consideration at all?

Just curious...

Thanks

Bobby

Artos
09-18-10, 07:53
It's been an awsome start to Dove season!!

We have an anual opener down here with about 40 shooters that come in from all over the state. Always on labor day weekend and along the border in what is called the 'special whitewing zone'. Birds a plenty.

Should be a banner year with 70 day season and up from 12 to 15 daily bag limit.

Pic of a scouting trip about a week before the hunt & the aftermath of that saturday. We ate ALOT of birds that weekend!!

platoonDaddy
09-18-10, 07:58
sign me up boss. Of course without the 200 posting requirement!

OUT

Bobert0989
09-19-10, 04:26
It's been an awsome start to Dove season!!

We have an anual opener down here with about 40 shooters that come in from all over the state. Always on labor day weekend and along the border in what is called the 'special whitewing zone'. Birds a plenty.

Should be a banner year with 70 day season and up from 12 to 15 daily bag limit.

Pic of a scouting trip about a week before the hunt & the aftermath of that saturday. We ate ALOT of birds that weekend!!

Sounds like a blast. I missed our first season this fall due to working WAY TOO MUCH overtime... but we have three seasons thru November (I think) so I know I will bag some for the freezer this year... eventually...

Our bag limit is 15 as well, and usually reached by mid-day around these parts. I lucked into a three shots-four kills scenario last year they were flying in so thick.

Have fun, and good hunting!

~Bobby

Artos
12-06-10, 10:56
shot this weirdo 8 i call corkscrew late Friday afternoon...one of the neatest things I like about deer hunting is when a stranger moves in. I had never seen this deer before & he should have been taken out years ago.

Now, we are on a big ranch (7000 acres) but he would have been hard to miss with this messed up rack. Also the biggest bodied deer I have ever shot down this way. Our area is really more of a desert and most bucks are 150-175 at the most live weight. This guy was 220 and he ran about 15-20 yards down into a washout. I had a heck of a time muscling him back to the sendero. 13' spread and 118 total score.

Still lots of hunting left and we are not showing ANY signs of rutting. I predict it will start around Christmas and trickle out the rest of the season.

Watrdawg
12-06-10, 11:11
Cool looking rack. I know he's not the biggest deer in the world but I think I would have to mount it because it is so unique.

Rob Haught
12-06-10, 12:49
I would also like to see that. I visit a hunting forum about as much as I do this one. So count me in.

Rob

Bobert0989
12-06-10, 13:36
They voted in last week to adopt a 6-day longer deer (modern rifle) season for next year, which gives us 16 days total. I only got out twice during this year's season, and couldn't find a thing. I'm going to try again in Dec.'s muzzleloader season.

Artos
12-06-10, 15:34
Cool looking rack. I know he's not the biggest deer in the world but I think I would have to mount it because it is so unique.

i'll do a euro on him but just couldn't justify the coin for a shoulder...i'm lucky and have one of the best taxi's on the planet down this way but it has to be a really nice deer.

Here's a dead on shot i took w/ my cell down in the washout where he expired. Gives you a better idea of his spread & best look i think.

VLODPG
12-06-10, 15:44
Count me in on a hunting section!

crossgun
12-06-10, 18:03
So why dont we have a hunting section yet?

Bobert0989
12-07-10, 13:03
I guess this is our hunting section... lol

Artos
01-26-11, 13:34
that's it...i gotta get a lighted reticle for these full moon pigs. I can earhole the ones that are solo pretty easy but even with the swaro 4-12, that black on black crosshair sucks. I got this one friday at around 1am and hit at least another two saturday night. Thuds and squeels were solid but they have to drop in our brush.

no pics...doesn't count:mad:

Bobert0989
01-27-11, 09:35
That's a good-sized pig there...

To you that hunt these hogs like this year-round... do you actually eat (or at least give it to someone to eat) all those pigs? I hope it's not a drop-and-leave kind of "hunting"... I'm not opposed to killing animals at all, I just don't like them to be killed for fun... (except pigeons, we shoot them just to keep them out of the area...)

I'd like to go on a hog-hunt sometime, utilize some NV gear, maybe...

Watrdawg
01-27-11, 09:45
If I'm going to kill it I'm going to eat it. Although I do make a point to donate at least a deer or two to our local HFH program(Hunters Feeding the Hungry) My family does eat a lot of wild game each year. Deer, ducks and geese, a hog or two, turkey and dove.

Bobert0989
01-27-11, 09:59
That's good. We eat a lot of deer in my family, but I don't really get to hunt as much as I would like anymore. I've still got around 40-50 dove breasts frozen in the deep-freeze right now, but elieve it or not, we have to BUY bacon here, no wild hogs! :(

I had a neighbor a while back that had a Vietnamese Potbellied Pig they kept as a pet, got into our garden and I promised him that if it happened again I would have pork-chops for a year out of him... lol. Stupid pig walked right up and laid-down on our back porch after he finished eating-up my plants.

Artos
01-27-11, 10:01
you can't eat those big boars...the meat is sour.

google 'feral pigs in texas'. We are reaching plague status. There is a very common saying KAP, which stands for Kill All Pigs (which i try to do) 2-3 litters per year and females can drop piglets their first season.

I only eat the choicest piggies and all of these are in the freezer...tough to beat for the table. These are 25-40lbs. I hunt a 7000 acre ranch that is under game management & our biologist has a standing order to shoot at every pig.

I see them as a pest like the coyote, grackle, pigeon, bobcat, and any other non game animal that is fun to shoot and falls under depredation & have no problem leaving pigs for the birds and worms.

Watrdawg
01-27-11, 10:05
I had a neighbor a while back that had a Vietnamese Potbellied Pig they kept as a pet, got into our garden and I promised him that if it happened again I would have pork-chops for a year out of him... lol. Stupid pig walked right up and laid-down on our back porch after he finished eating-up my plants.

A friend of ours had a Pot Bellied Pig for a couple of years and had to get rid of it. Every morning for 3-4 weeks that pig would escape from the back yard, let the other dogs out and go down the street and beat up the neighbors Pit Bull. When it was done kicking the Pits butt it would come on back home. It got so bad they sold the pig to a friend that had a farm.

Bobert0989
01-27-11, 10:09
So they are a "game" animal for conservation? You consider them a pest, and we never see them... funny how regions vary.

In that case, I understand not eating them all... you probably couldn't eat them all. That is a lot of pigs.

What's your favorite Pig caliber? Ever tried the .300BLK (AAC)?

Bobert0989
01-27-11, 10:11
A friend of ours had a Pot Bellied Pig for a couple of years and had to get rid of it. Every morning for 3-4 weeks that pig would escape from the back yard, let the other dogs out and go down the street and beat up the neighbors Pit Bull. When it was done kicking the Pits butt it would come on back home. It got so bad they sold the pig to a friend that had a farm.

Haha... I've heard they can be mean, but this one was huge. I'd have to shoot it, out of self-defense, if it were charging me...lol

Artos
01-27-11, 10:18
So they are a "game" animal for conservation? You consider them a pest, and we never see them... funny how regions vary.

In that case, I understand not eating them all... you probably couldn't eat them all. That is a lot of pigs.

What's your favorite Pig caliber? Ever tried the .300BLK (AAC)?

no sir, pigs are NOT considered a game animal or controlled with seasons through the state or fed. They are not native...sort of like the nilgai along the texas coast. We can hunt them year round, at night and any other means like traps, etc. to control #'s.

What i meant is the ranch I hunt is also under a personal game management program and the biologist in charge wants every pig seen to be killed if possible. We will never get rid of them but it's fun trying.

My favorite weapon is whatever is in my hands when they walk out but when going after them specifically, I'm using a 12.5" suppressed rig in 5.56.

I want to build a 6.8 upper in the same bbl length but need another can & that keeps it on the long list.

Bobert0989
01-27-11, 11:56
Ahh, I get it now. So it's litterally pest control. Kill all of them that you can before they overrun the rest of the wildlife in the area.

Gotcha. I still want to hunt some, where the closest place to KY that have these hogs running around? Anywhere within a few hours' drive from Richmond?

Artos
01-27-11, 12:24
Ahh, I get it now. So it's litterally pest control. Kill all of them that you can before they overrun the rest of the wildlife in the area.

Gotcha. I still want to hunt some, where the closest place to KY that have these hogs running around? Anywhere within a few hours' drive from Richmond?

you got me brother...it's my understanding they are a problem all over the south and spreading.

do a search on pig hunts by prefered state and then get references...some are specializing in night time hunts on farmland using NV / thermal.

40Arpent
01-27-11, 14:06

It's not only a wildlife overrun issue, it's also a food crop issue. Just a few feral pigs can absolutely destroy an acre of just about anything in a single night. I don't have the cost figures handy, but nationwide, feral pigs are costing farmers and ranchers exhorbitant amounts of money each year. And now, with such rampant proliferation, they're becoming a nuisance and safety issue for homeowners in many areas. These aren't just farm pigs on the loose.

There's a new series on the Discovery channel called "Hogs Gone Wild." While it's a bit "Hollywood", it will give you a better idea of what we're dealing with/talking about.

Artos, I hunt a 5,000 acre ranch outside of Freer....same rule, shoot all pigs on sight.

Bobert0989
01-27-11, 16:03
Any openings on those ranches? lol

It'd be a bit more than a few hours from Richmond though, huh?

5000-7000 acres is a large area to cover, how many people hunt on these ranches through the year? I know I hunt a farm about 20 minutes south of here that's only 600 acres, and full of white tails. I couldn't imagine thousands of acres to roam...

B Cart
01-27-11, 16:29
Here are a couple pics of a coyote I got. It wasn't with my AR, but it was with a .223 :smile:

I have close range optics on my M4's (eotech & aimpoint) so I don't usually take those out coyote hunting, although I called this one in to only 9 yards so I could have even used my bow lol!

40Arpent
01-27-11, 19:04
Any openings on those ranches? ...

The one I hunt is not a lease, it's family-owned and private.

Artos
01-27-11, 20:51
we are 10 guns on our 7k...hunting prices are across the board down this way.

tx has some public opportunites but nothing like the other states where it is the norm...expect a BIG window in this state for hunting rights.

Just depends on your game and if you want seasonal access or 365...$5 - $50 per acre is a starting point for ya just to make things complicated.

Bobert0989
01-27-11, 23:40
we are 10 guns on our 7k...hunting prices are across the board down this way.

tx has some public opportunites but nothing like the other states where it is the norm...expect a BIG window in this state for hunting rights.

Just depends on your game and if you want seasonal access or 365...$5 - $50 per acre is a starting point for ya just to make things complicated.

Wish I had the same oppurtunity...

Deer are the largest game around here with reasonable seasons, and that is short at best. I think you can draw for a Northern KY Elk hunt, which is very limited, and we have a two-bear quota statewide in a very short time session (once two are tagged the season closes)... so there's not a whole lot of options for hunting larger game around here. I think a Moose would be a fun hunt... but again, none around here. Coyote are about the most exciting around here... I suppose

Artos
02-08-11, 08:55
Thought some of you might find this interesting regarding the wild hog problems that is spreading...

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/02/07/oink-feral-pigs-growing-problem/?test=latestnews

SkyPup
02-08-11, 12:35
I'm doing my best to help contain the porcine invasion on our property with my 556s....

http://www.phossil.com/thom/SIG%20556%20Commando/SIG%20HOG%2039/Hog%2039%20Side.jpg

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Big%20Boar.jpg

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Hog%20&%20Tractor.jpg

http://www.phossil.com/thom/4th%20July%20Hog/4th%20July%20Hog3.jpg

http://www.phossil.com/thom/TC/Monster%20Hog%20II/Monster%20Hog%20IIA.jpg

Watrdawg
02-08-11, 12:38
Skypup,
What kind of ammo are you using?

SkyPup
02-08-11, 12:51
Here is my standard recipe for my 1:7" twist for single shot kills out to 225 yards:

Lake City '09 brass
Wolf SRM primers
Hodgdon 25.0 grains BLC-2
Barnes 70 grain TSX, Nosler 77 grain Competition, Sierra 77 grain MatchKing, Hornady 75 grain BTHP, Prvi 75 grain BTHP.

I have also used the Hornady 75 grain TAP 2 5.56mm NATO, the Hornady 75 grain T1 5.56mm NATO SuperPerformance ammo, and the Prvi 75 grain BTHP commerical ammunition to the same effect.

Watrdawg
02-08-11, 13:01
I was thinking it would have to be the larger bullets. We have some hog hunting around here and I was thinking about using my carbine. I'll have to pick up some of the heavier stuff.

SkyPup
02-08-11, 13:07
Proper shot placement is what it is all about.

I normally do double lung shots or a head shot.

The heavy OTMs are instantly lethal when placed properly.

Believe it or not, last year I accidentally killed three hogs that were standing on the far side of the three hogs that I was shooting at and killed, only to walk up and find another carcasses on the far side hit and killed by the bullet passing through!

40Arpent
02-08-11, 15:31
SkyPup, did you weigh those pigs? They look mighty damn big.

SkyPup
02-08-11, 15:40
I did not weigh those hogs, but they are all boars and they are all BIG.

I've shot many many 225-250 pounders - the good eating sized ones - and they are easily 1/2 the size of those brutes in the pics.

My serious estimate is around 400-450 pounds each.

The front end loader on my tractor-loader-backhoe lifts 3,200 pounds and generally I can feel how much something weighs by the change in weight distribution of something out in front in the Grapple.

Don't try a heart shot with a 5.56mm/.223 load as you won't penetrate the scapula and forearm, entering through the ribcage right behind the elbow effectively blows out both lung completely. You need a larger caliber like .308, 7mm Rem Mag, or 30:06 to penetrate through to the heart.

Two adult men using two eight foot 2X4's could NOT use leverage to even flip one of those boars over :eek:

sabrefan
02-08-11, 21:19
Hey, so where is the hunting thread? Bad news from our great game and fish folk in Montgomery. From what I understand, hogs and coyotes are considered game animals in Alabama. Up until you kill them. WTF does that mean? Well, I know WTF that means. But can anyone here tell me why? Nevermind. I know why. These ...holes will do anything for money. Or maybe someone can give me a better reason ?

J-Dub
02-09-11, 11:07
I vote YES!

it would keep the fieldcraft/survival subforum on topic and give people a place to put their hunting threads

Artos
02-24-11, 11:55
if anybody needs some help getting rid of pigs in this manner...have gun, will travel.

freakin greatness right here!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOfCTWy1Xlc

~~~

sabrefan
02-24-11, 12:35
DAMNIT MAN!!!!! That looks like fun. I wanna go!!

SkyPup
02-24-11, 12:37
It does seem quite unnatural that a rifle and shooting forum has no hunting section?:confused:

Bobert0989
02-27-11, 03:51
if anybody needs some help getting rid of pigs in this manner...have gun, will travel.

freakin greatness right here!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOfCTWy1Xlc

~~~

I'd like to put my 870 into service in that manner. Or one of the ole' .223's, either way is fine with me... lol

J-Dub
02-27-11, 17:29
I actually am freinds (through a mutual friend) with these guys..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiHmYsyVniE

Still havent gotten to go up in the helo, maybe some day....lol

In two days they killed 425 pigs a few months back...

500grains
02-27-11, 17:41
Not that I am against hunting forums, but it could distract attention away from what this forum is about.

Artos
02-27-11, 17:50
Not that I am against hunting forums, but it could distract attention away from what this forum is about.

what distractions would those be...taking away time from all of your political threads:p

J-Dub
02-28-11, 07:30
I think the main reason there wont be a hunting sub-forum is to keep the 'tarded bubbas off the site, and honestly i'm just fine with that.

Watrdawg
02-28-11, 07:36
I think the main reason there wont be a hunting sub-forum is to keep the 'tarded bubbas off the site, and honestly i'm just fine with that.

Hey now I might resemble that remark:D. Actually I could see how that may happen. However, as strict as everyone is around here I think BUBBA threads wouldn't last too long. We could alwyas have a heading along with the title of the thread stating that "Tarded Bubbas Not Allowed".

Artos
02-28-11, 11:55
Hey now I might resemble that remark:D.

HA!! my nickname is bubba and most of my dad's friends still call me that...just something he started at birth for some reason it stuck (i'm in my 40's)

A few of my close fiends picked it up on it but it's mostly my elders & family who still refer to me that way. Funny that it took decades for me to realize it was used as a redneck slang & pretty common...just been dug in too deep down here & thought I was the only one.

I don't see this site as bringing in a gravitation of hunting goobers...we have a pretty tight group that does a pretty good job of self policing the ding-dongs.

I think what is most interesting to me how different the rest of the country hunts & enjoy seeing what other members are going after and in what kind of terrain...not a big deal as I know the mods are already burnt out on keeping up with what they have on their plates already. I just think it would add some value as I know some the respected members enjoy time out in the sticks.

Watrdawg
02-28-11, 12:32
Artos, thats a nice deer up on your wall. Did you shoot that in Texas? I got mine in Canada a while back.

It is interesting to see how differently we hunt in various parts of the country. I also agree that with the people we have on site hunting threads wouldn't be a problem. The mods do a great job here!

Artos
02-28-11, 12:41
That deer was killed down here back in 1999....he green scored 175 & has 16 points.

One thing you will love is that his body was so small, the taxi had to order a special form. I think he was only like 125lbs on the hoof...the weirdo 8 deer, posted on this thread I shot this past season was the heaviest body deer I've ever killed at 220lbs and I hurt my back loading him in the truck (sucks getting old) He only scored 118 but I can now say I have two droptines on the wall:D

You northern guys have monsters & even good scoring deer can look small with their body size...I would love to get up there but I simply cannot deal with the cold.

It was 97 degrees at the ranch yesterday!!!!

Watrdawg
02-28-11, 12:54
That was the same year I shot mine. He green scored 154 and weighed in at 307lbs. I shot him about 2hrs north of Edmonton Alberta. Going back in a couple of years. It will be my son's 16th birthday and I made a deal with him to go. Booking the trip soon and will be paying on it for a while. Thankfully I've got 2 1/2 years before we go.

Supergrade
03-16-11, 20:57
I'm so glad we don't have to deal with those things up north. Those things are huge!

Bobert0989
03-16-11, 22:17
My buddy at work recently took an elk trip to Michigan. That is some delicious meat, and lean too! He said that he added up his entire cost of the trip and that meat cost him less than $5.80/lb.

Thats my excuse for trying to go next summer!

* Bubba Note * --> Guy south of us killed an elk and tagged it as a "record-setting" whitetail. He said, "This here's the biggest fattest deer I ever seed!"

J-Dub
03-20-11, 14:10
Well last night i was out-smarted by a dumb pig...or maybe not so dumb.

Setup on a feeder that a hog has been bumping and rooting around the legs. I've got him on camera for a solid month, every night. At 9:30 i shot a tiny piglet (with 16" BCM/aimpoint) and by 10:00 i decided to call it quits. I go back this morning to check the cam and damned if the problem hog didnt come in a 11:00. He's a solid 250-75, he won the battle but i bet i win the war!