PDA

View Full Version : Florida Military Concealed Carry

Mr. Goodtimes
08-19-10, 14:49
I was told by a shipmate that my Military ID was my concealed carry permit. My immediate reaction is that this is BS but I cant seem to find any information to confirm or deny this from a legit sight.

If it is BS is there any different route I need to take to obtain a Florida CCW?

Palmguy
08-19-10, 14:57
Sounds like a real 'shipmate' (with the negative connotation that was generally attached to that word, at least when I was in the Navy).

No, a .mil ID does not suffice to allow you to carry a concealed weapon in Florida. It can serve as your proof of competency that you submit with your application for a CWFL though.

From the application form:

QUESTION 6
ACCEPTABLE TRAINING DOCUMENTATION
1. A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the courses or classes listed below. Do not send your original certificate
because it cannot be returned.
2. A copy of any document which shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition;
3. An affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught the course or class attesting
to the completion of the course or class by the applicant below. Be sure to submit the original (notarized) affidavit
but make a copy for your records because it cannot be returned.
• Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation
Commission or a similar agency of another state;
• Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;
• Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement,
junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing
instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission,
or the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;
• Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators,
special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;
• Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition
or military service (persons serving in the United States Armed Forces may submit a copy of their Military ID Card;
discharged persons may submit a copy of the DD-214);
• Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state or a county or municipality of this state, unless such
license has been revoked for cause;
• Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle
Association-certified firearms instructor.

http://www.doacs.state.fl.us/onestop/forms/16036.pdf

Mr. Goodtimes
08-19-10, 17:30
Thanks dude. I thought it wreaked of stupidity but thought I'd ask... Usually if it sounds to good to be true it is. I'll definitely be using it as my proof of competancy.

agr1279
08-19-10, 20:33
I was told by a fellow shipmate that my Military ID was my concealed carry permit. My immediate reaction is that this is BS but I cant seem to find any information to confirm or deny this from a legit sight.

If it is BS is there any different route I need to take to obtain a Florida CCW?

110% BS. That Shitmate was trying to screw you bad. If he is such a dumbarse to follow his advice maybe we don't want him in the Nav.

Dan

RogerinTPA
08-19-10, 20:53
Eh.....,,NO.

This falls under the shipborne, barracks, shit house lawyer syndrome. You will quickly. Learn that folks like that don't know shit. In time, you will learn who to trust and who to ignore. In this day and age, I'd google everything anyone said.

GotAmmo
08-19-10, 21:01
Sounds like a real 'shipmate' (with the negative connotation that was generally attached to that word, at least when I was in the Navy).

No, a .mil ID does not suffice to allow you to carry a concealed weapon in Florida. It can serve as your proof of competency that you submit with your application for a CWFL though.

From the application form:

palmguy... anything good happening in your area?? Im headed to eglin in 6 months.. im lookin fwd to whatever florida has to offer

Mr. Goodtimes
08-19-10, 22:04
110% BS. That Shitmate was trying to screw you bad. If he is such a dumbarse to follow his advice maybe we don't want him in the Nav.

Dan

Unfortunately, many of the people I see around base fall into the category of dip shits. I'm very underwhelmed by the quality of sailor I'm seeing. It seems like most of the people aren't very professional and many aren't very dedicated to their job. They're just there to collect a pay check with benefits and get their college. I'm amazed by the amount of posers I see on base.

Eh.....,,NO.

This falls under the shipborne, barracks, shit house lawyer syndrome. You will quickly. Learn that folks like that don't know shit. In time, you will learn who to trust and who to ignore. In this day and age, I'd google everything anyone said.

I more or less figured it was barracks bull shit. Thought I'd ask though as google actually turned up things that pointed both ways. I can always more or less count on getting a straight answer here. I also called the Florida Department of Agriculture and spoke to them. They confirmed.

agr1279
08-20-10, 07:55
Unfortunately, many of the people I see around base fall into the category of dip shits. I'm very underwhelmed by the quality of sailor I'm seeing. It seems like most of the people aren't very professional and many aren't very dedicated to their job. They're just there to collect a pay check with benefits and get their college. I'm amazed by the amount of posers I see on base.

I know what you mean. When I go to NAS Jaxs for monthly drill I am quite suprised at the individuals I see. I keep thinking to myself how did these people get in and then I look outside the base and see the same type people. It is society and not just the military.

Dan

Mr. Goodtimes
08-20-10, 08:01
I know what you mean. When I go to NAS Jaxs for monthly drill I am quite suprised at the individuals I see. I keep thinking to myself how did these people get in and then I look outside the base and see the same type people. It is society and not just the military.

Dan

I honestly feel like I went back to highschool (after two years of college). Theres the goth kids, the dungeons and dragons and halo geeks the thug wannabes... you name it. I'm actually trying to transfer over to the Army. I doubt things will be much better, though.

jamaicanj
09-12-10, 08:13
No. Your military id being used as a cwp will only get you a quick ticket to jail.

BearClaw Bigsby
08-01-11, 13:17
Using a mil ID as your CCW is not an automatic trip to jail, at least in georigia!!

Long Version

Weapons Carry: You are not allowed to carry a weapon (as defined at the top of this page) without having a weapons carry license unless you fit one of the exceptions below (this is in general, there are some places off-limits to carry even with a Weapons Carry License):

1. If you are not prohibited by law from owning a firearm you may carry a weapon on your own property and in your own home, motor vehicle and place of business without needing a valid weapons carry license. (including the property that the business is located on IF the property is owned by the business owner). You do not have to have permission from the business owner in order to be exempt from carrying a concealed weapon without a license at your place of business (however that does NOT mean you cannot be fired for carrying without permission. If you cross any property in transit between your property, car or office then you would be in violation of the law.
2. If you are not prohibited by law from owning a firearm you may carry a long gun without needing a valid weapons carry license. However if it is loaded, you must carry the long gun in an open and fully exposed manner (this exemption is odd, a long gun is not defined as a weapon so I am not sure what law you would be breaking if you did carry a loaded long gun concealed).
3. If you are not prohibited by law from owning a firearm you may carry a handgun provided it is unloaded and enclosed inside a case (There is nothing that defines exactly what unloaded means, to be on the safe side you should assume it means no loaded magazine inserted into the gun).
4. If you are not ineligible for a license to carry, you can carry in any private passenger motorized vehicle, provided that the owner (or other legal representative of the property) has not forbid posession of weapons or long guns on the property (the difference between this and the first one is that you can carry in someone elses car provided you could get a GWL and they do not forbid you posessing it in their car).
5. If you have a valid hunting or fishing license or do not legally have to have one, you can carry a handgun or long gun while you are actively engaged in hunting, fishing or sport shooting with permission from the owner of the land you are on.
6. If you have a license to carry from a state that honors the Georgia Weapons Carry License, as long as you are not a resident of Georgia and you follow Georgia laws while you are here (a map of states that honor the Georgia license is here).

Violation of this code section is a misdemeanor for the first offense and a felony if a second offense is committed within 5 years of the first. (16-11-125.1, 16-11-126 )

Note that a long gun is NOT defined as a "weapon" and that not all firearms are covered as a weapon or a long gun (a firearm with a barrel over 12 inches but under 18 inches is not a "long gun" or a "weapon" as it is defined in 16-11-125.1).

Employment exception: Persons employed in certain jobs (whether at work or off-duty) are exempt from the law above. Jobs such as peace officer, Wardens, superintendents, and keepers of correctional institutions, jails, or other institutions for the detention of persons accused or convicted of an offense, persons in the military service of the state or of the United States, and others. Please see 16-11-130 for the full list.

QuietShootr
08-01-11, 13:20
I honestly feel like I went back to highschool (after two years of college). Theres the goth kids, the dungeons and dragons and halo geeks the thug wannabes... you name it. I'm actually trying to transfer over to the Army. I doubt things will be much better, though.

It won't be. The average soldier is even dumber than your average sailor, plus you have the ever-popular racist black staff NCOs that you probably have a lot less of in the Navy.