PDA

View Full Version : Mega Myths Thread

WillBrink
08-19-10, 16:59
The thread on springs got me to thinking about those myths, that no matter how much good info to the contrary people can find if they bother to look, just will not go away. From the spring thread:

• Guns and mags should not be left loaded because the springs will go bad

Others that came to mind:

• "knock down" power of standard duty handgun loads

• 5.56 is a bad home defense rnd because it over penetrates (usually followed by "best to use 9mm 'cause it wont" double myth?)

• One stop shot data....nuff said

• Magic rnds that go through all intermediate barriers then convert to small thermo nuclear device once they hit soft tissue

• The infallibility of Glock handguns (I've seem em break, fail, etc. and I'll bet you all have too...)

• Taurus Judge is a great SD gun. :rolleyes:

What are the other "why the fu*^% wont these die already" myths can we add to the mega myth thread?

tampam4
08-19-10, 17:27
"I never have a round in the chamber when I carry concealed, it's unsafe and besides, should I need it, I'll have enough time to rack the slide"

"I don't use hollowpoints, only FMJ's, because if I have to shoot someone, they could nail me in court for having a bullet designed to cause more damage"

telecustom
08-19-10, 17:31
I always like: "the sound alone of a shotgun being loaded is enough to deter a home invader."

BrianS
08-19-10, 17:34
Not sure how to word it, but a surprising number of people who carry guns believe they are legally justified in shooting somebody if they get punched or have some other kind of non deadly force used against them.

GermanSynergy
08-19-10, 17:41
"A hit with a .45 anywhere on the body will stop an attacker cold." :blink:

WillBrink
08-19-10, 17:49

Oh, I hear that one with .357. Never heard it with .45. :haha:

Zhurdan
08-19-10, 17:54
"One gun in each hand is the best way to deal with multiple threats" (sorry, couldn't resist)

My all time pet peeve is this one...

"The bullet actually gains altitude due to its velocity" (people that don't understand sight over bore and the reason the bullet path is parabolic)

boggyboy72
08-19-10, 18:06

I have never heard Anyone say that,But I have heard,

"You shoot Somebody anywhere between the neck and the nuts with a .45 and they are done."

WillBrink
08-19-10, 18:18
"The bullet actually gains altitude due to its velocity"

What???? That's a bizzar one. :confused:

Business_Casual
08-19-10, 18:59
When rifle bullet X comes out of the barrel it tumbles and that's why it is so extra lethal.

B_C

99HMC4
08-19-10, 19:13
I stopped telling people I had a 50 BMG cause I diodnt want to hear all the bull shit they have "heard" about the 50.....:sarcastic:

matthewdanger
08-19-10, 20:00
You don't have to aim a shotgun...

Birdshot is a good self defense load to limit over penetration...

Drop leg holsters should be worn so that your hand falls on the grip of the handgun when your arms is hanging at your side...

Company X and Company Y both get their parts from the same place...

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-19-10, 20:17
Civilians can't buy or own machine guns or suppressors.

"Silencers"

BrianS
08-19-10, 20:21
Guns that most women will never train with enough to shoot well like shotguns and jframe revolvers are the guns most suited for them to have in a HD capacity.

variablebinary
08-19-10, 20:46
"They make parts for Colt"
"The SIG 556 is a good gun"
"I swear, I didn't touch it. It just went off"
"The XD is just as good as an M&P and Glock"
"The military would be better off with 6.5 Grendal"

Magic_Salad0892
08-19-10, 21:00
Civilians can't own ''assault rifles.''

''Silencers''

''Clips''

''Bullets are bullets, and parts are parts.''

CarlosDJackal
08-19-10, 21:22
"If you get hit with a shotgun it will pick you up and throw you across the room!!"

"The .223/5.56 round is anemic." To which I always respond by asking them if they were willing to get hit by one even at 300-yards. I have yet to come across a volunteer. :dance3:

M4Fundi
08-19-10, 21:48
"All guns have to be registered"

"The registration on this gun came back and its registered to..."

"You have to have a license to own a gun"

"All hollow points are designed as cop killers to go thru body armor"

chadbag
08-19-10, 21:58
I have never heard Anyone say that,But I have heard,

"You shoot Somebody anywhere between the neck and the nuts with a .45 and they are done."

Or hit a guy in the hand with a 45acp and it will take his arm off...

GermanSynergy
08-19-10, 22:04
I heard this at the range last week.

Customer- "I have a Glock 19- it says 9x19. Can I shoot 9mm Luger rounds thru it?"

Range dude- "Nope- they ain't the same thing.":rolleyes:

SteyrAUG
08-19-10, 22:29
The 2 pieces of sheet rock which comprise the average interior home wall is enough to reliably fragment 5.56mm making it perfectly safe to fire indoors without concern for penetration.

500grains
08-20-10, 00:40
The owner of Stag was on tv saying that Stag makes the best AR15s in the world. I think that qualifies as a grand myth (or willful misstatement?).

Also, I wish people would stop saying, "If you shoot them outside, make sure to drag them inside before the police arrive."

and

"If you haven't done anything wrong, why would you need a lawyer?"

Chevy is better than Ford.

"Obama has posted his real birth certificate on the internet."

"Obama is not a muslim."

Sorry for the last two, but I just could not resist.

theblackknight
08-20-10, 07:13
"These rifles are, junk, they are made by the lowest bidder. I got a bushmaster at home" Marines talking about their service rifles.

JSantoro
08-20-10, 07:49
"Just the tip, I swear, baby...."

Alex V
08-20-10, 10:10
"Just the tip, I swear, baby...."

AAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA

fun game to play... "oops" works too.

myth:
"If you do that you'll go blind" ;)

Todd.K
08-20-10, 11:23
Barrel brake-in.

Even if you do believe that the bore must be squeaky clean for the bullet to smooth it out, how can the same process and number of rounds be needed for a hand lapped match barrel and a rough production barrel?

Bill Bryant
08-20-10, 11:50
The guy who can do 35 pull-ups, benches 350 lbs., went to the state playoff in football, and dated the head cheerleader will have the most courage under fire.

JSantoro
08-20-10, 12:23
"If you do that you'll go blind" ;)

<<<Some of us just did it until we needed Lasik...

Magazine as monopod = BAD.

When zeroing an optic to a weapon with an adjustable LOP, needless variables like armor, kit, and firing unsupported off of one's elbows are desirable and should be incorporated.

First-intersect grouping exercises are the same as a KD zero. No need to confirm!

theblackknight
08-20-10, 16:14
<<<Some of us just did it until we needed Lasik...

When zeroing an optic to a weapon with an adjustable LOP, needless variables like armor, kit, and firing unsupported off of one's elbows are desirable and should be incorporated.

First-intersect grouping exercises are the same as a KD zero. No need to confirm!

your awesome

bkb0000
08-20-10, 16:24
how about the several variations on the AK and the 7.62x39 being vastly superior to the inferior AR and 5.56 load...

it must vary by unit, but i can't tell you how many "combat" vets i've heard preaching this in the last few years.

QuickStrike
08-21-10, 03:17
A double action revolver is the perfect weapon for a beginner, especially a female beginner.

A .22 rimfire is acceptable for self defense.

The most important thing when choosing a gun is how it fits your hand. Nevermind quality/reliability or any of that. Super comfy handfit first, even though you've never held a gun or don't know how to hold one! :rolleyes:

Magic_Salad0892
08-21-10, 05:44
When referring to the DI AR Gas Tube ''if this doesn't go away society will cease to exist.''

Cookies to anybody who remembers that video.

jklaughrey
08-21-10, 07:48
"My Hi-Point is just as good, if not better than your GlocK".

"My Hi-Point is the AK-47 of pistols".

RogerinTPA
08-21-10, 08:21

AKA trajectory? :p

thopkins22
08-21-10, 08:56

I've been told by many hunters(experts in their own minds) that the 7mm Remington Magnum projectile doesn't reach peak velocity until about 100 yards downrange. :suicide:

bkb0000
08-21-10, 10:27
I've been told by many hunters(experts in their own minds) that the 7mm Remington Magnum projectile doesn't reach peak velocity until about 100 yards downrange. :suicide:

it accelerates itself, in-flight? it's a hard hitter, for sure.. but it's not a ****in RPG.

orionz06
08-21-10, 10:38

Haha, are they shooting downhill?

Moose-Knuckle
08-21-10, 12:29
"AK's never jam!"

"AR's are jam-o-matics"

"All ARs are the same, if you buy a Colt your just a brand snob"

"GLOCKs will KB due to being made from plastic"

"You need to spend $400 on a custom made by hand blade if your life is going to depend on it."

WillBrink
08-21-10, 14:50

Unless rocket propelled, I believe that's a physical impossibility... :rolleyes:

Did we all miss "you don't have to aim a shot gun" myth?! A classic!

Moose-Knuckle
08-21-10, 15:05
"9mm is ineffective" :D

rsilvers
08-21-10, 15:38
Myths:

Short barrels are less accurate than long barrels.

Shorter barrels benefit from faster burning powder (they do only to an almost insignificant degree because peak chamber pressure, which limits the charge, occurs when the bullet moves very little).

Barrel break in is important.

Peeves:

Calling mags 'clips.'

Calling ammunition 'bullets.'

In 1909 Hiram P Maxim invented something and named it a "Maxim Silencer."

It *is* what the device is called as it is a given name by its inventor.

It technically should have a capitol 'P' as should Escalator as it is more of a name than a term.