PDA

View Full Version : Bud's Police Supply: Double Star M4 for $650 shipped

sjmills6901
08-19-10, 22:38
All

Bud's Police Supply sells the Double Star M4 for $650 shipped!! How would you rate this weapon? Is it suitable for home defense needs. Is this a quality weapon or junk? It appears to be rated highly.

Please advise

orionz06
08-19-10, 22:44
I would say that it is not a quality weapon, relative to the needs you described. The following threads outline many points that will help you better make a decision. The short answer is a BCM complete.

Two threads that are good reads, they will explain the how and why for many things.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7376

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6642

Iraqgunz
08-19-10, 22:44
Please use the search function and look for Double Star. I think there is enough info. available.

All

Bud's Police Supply sells the Double Star M4 for $650 shipped!! How would you rate this weapon? Is it suitable for home defense needs. Is this a quality weapon or junk? It appears to be rated highly.

Please advise

citizensoldier16
08-20-10, 00:19
Save your money and purchase a true Tier 1 rifle. You won't be disappointed. Double Star has been known to produce a few good rifles in and amongst thousands of crappy ones. They're not mil-spec, tolerances are poor at best, no staking of parts whatsoever, etc. This is what happens when a company like Double Star is more concerned with quantity than quality.

When I purchased my first AR, I saved some extra money and bought a Bushmaster thinking it was a decent rifle and high above Double Star and Olympic in terms of quality and production. However, after reading many of the posts on this site, namely The Chart, I quickly learned that my Bushy would require quite a bit of "fixing" to make it right. Had I known then what I know now...I would have saved for another 3 months and purchased a Colt or a Noveske.

In short, if you're looking for a rifle for HD or SHTF use...do your homework and read the posts that the other members have linked to above. Buy a quality, well-built rifle from a respectable builder and you won't be sorry.

As the say... "buy once, cry once"

500grains
08-20-10, 00:44
All

Please advise

Whoever rated it highly is shilling for the company or is profiting from the sale.

Doublestar is cheap crap. For around a thousand bucks you can have a top notch AR15 which is good to go for 10,000 rounds. Your life is worth more than the $350 savings.

rathos
08-20-10, 01:20
Not only that but Bud's is not exactly the best place to buy a gun unless you don't mind waiting 2-3 weeks after paying before they even ship your gun. I know I will never deal with them again, I would rather skip the LE discount and pay full price.

mkmckinley
08-20-10, 01:52
If you look around you can find the Smith and Wesson "Nation's finest rebate" and get $100 off one of their AR-15's. While not a Noveske they're decent rifles and at a really good price with the rebate. You very much get what you pay for in an AR-15.

C-grunt
08-20-10, 03:40
If you look around you can find the Smith and Wesson "Nation's finest rebate" and get $100 off one of their AR-15's. While not a Noveske they're decent rifles and at a really good price with the rebate. You very much get what you pay for in an AR-15.

+1 on the S&W. Pretty decent rifle for not much more money. Or maybe find a nice rifle used, like a Colt or LMT.

Palmguy
08-20-10, 05:17
Not only that but Bud's is not exactly the best place to buy a gun unless you don't mind waiting 2-3 weeks after paying before they even ship your gun. I know I will never deal with them again, I would rather skip the LE discount and pay full price.

Last two guns I ordered from Bud's; I ordered on a Monday and picked them up from my FFL on Thursday.

THCDDM4
08-20-10, 08:30
Double Stars are crap. In my research to buy an M4 (Bought a Daniel Defense M4 V1), I tried a few out and none were up to snuff to be used as a defensive weapon. OUt of spec & cheap. A range/plinking gun at the best.

Of course you'll see good reviews of weapons on a site that is selling them; it's called sales; and they are trying to sell you!

blksn955.o
08-20-10, 09:05
I just received a S&W MP15 this week after ordering from CDNN sports. The S&W rebate form I have is "born in the USA promo" and is $100 or 5 mags (I am taking the $100). All total it was just under $850 and then take off the $100 so $750...that is a simply outstanding deal.

Once I saw the placement of the S&W on the chart...and the price it could be had for I jumped on it. If your looking for a deal I would try and see if CDNN has any left. I think its more than a $100 better rifle compared to what your debating on.

Valsmere
08-20-10, 10:01
The Gander Mountain up by my mom's house is running an in store sale a S & W MP 15 with a EoTech 512 for 1200.00 dollars. I almost jumped on the deal if I hadn't bought my Colt LE6920 just recently. The store is located in Dickson City. Worth looking into if you have a Gander Mountain store near you.

Valsmere

Mung
08-20-10, 11:04
Citizensoldier. Did you have any issues with your BM? Or did you not like it just because of what you read on internet.

QuadBomb
08-20-10, 12:47
Edit: nm

RogerinTPA
08-20-10, 18:20
With all the quality carbines out there....there is absolutely no reason to go with a double star. Colt 6920s are $1100 some odd bucks these days.

hammerg26
10-09-10, 14:57
I have never understood the need to bash Doublestar on here... I don't frequent this forum, but it never ceases to amaze me to see the "bad blood" on here... I have a Doublestar DSC Patrol and love it. I have shot it a lot (not exactly sure how many rounds), and I have never had any issues with it. I understand it is not a Colt or a Noveske... but come on, unless you have one and it has had issues which you could not get resolved by J&T... not sure you should bash it.

87GN
10-09-10, 15:27
I have never understood the need to bash Doublestar on here... I don't frequent this forum, but it never ceases to amaze me to see the "bad blood" on here... I have a Doublestar DSC Patrol and love it. I have shot it a lot (not exactly sure how many rounds), and I have never had any issues with it. I understand it is not a Colt or a Noveske... but come on, unless you have one and it has had issues which you could not get resolved by J&T... not sure you should bash it.

What interested me were the blatant claims of being "mil spec" on their website, that disappeared when questions were asked.

I just don't see the point of buying a cheap, cut-corners AR.

Kentucky Cop
10-09-10, 15:59
Buds is a great company to buy from. I have purchased several LE weapons from them w/o a hitch. They are good to go.

As Double Star is manufactured right down the road from me, I would bump up to a Smith and Wesson. Damn fine rifle for the money. Several LE use them and run the shit out of them. GTG...:dirol:

KC

Iraqgunz
10-09-10, 16:22
Just a few things.

1. Their claims were BS and misleading.

2. You have a sample of one. That means that you may well have a decent one that works. But, consistency is the key.

3. You don't know how many round you have through the weapon. Run it through a course where you put a few hundred rounds through it in a day and see what happens.

Failure2Stop
10-09-10, 16:41
Doublestar rifles are suitable as a replacement for when the airsoft M4 goes down. For anything more serious, look elsewhere.

justin_247
10-09-10, 20:30
Doublestar rifles are suitable as a replacement for when the airsoft M4 goes down. For anything more serious, look elsewhere.

+1

Unfortunately, Doublestar probably had a huge sales jump over the past few months due to one of their ARs being featured by LAV on Tactical Arms. All he said was, "They stand behind their product" and never actually endorsed them, I think it was considered an endorsement by some.

blksn955.o
10-09-10, 21:48
+1

Unfortunately, Doublestar probably had a huge sales jump over the past few months due to one of their ARs being featured by LAV on Tactical Arms. All he said was, "They stand behind their product" and never actually endorsed them, I think it was considered an endorsement by some.

I would agree with this as well...I also remember LAV mentioning his personal AR is a DD...and he is the guy on the DD ads. None the less it was an interesting few tests he did and some good points were mentioned.

Kentucky Cop
10-10-10, 00:11
Just food for thought, I work with several LEO's that run them and do not have a problem with them. Take it for what you want. Its all in what your asking for it to do.

KC

KingsideRook
10-10-10, 00:46
All I ever asked my Doublestar to do was cycle M193 under perfect conditions. It wouldn't do it, and neither would my dad's Doublestar. We discovered the chambers were tight and the gas keys loose - discarded them as range toys, and a lesson learned years ago, and bought weapon-quality uppers by Colt.

Now with DD and BCM on the market, and a plethora of high-quality, heavily-tested accessories, there's no reason for anyone who's done the slightest bit of research to buy Doublestar.

Dunderway
10-10-10, 01:19
CDNN has Colt LE A2 carbines for $799 right now. That's about as budget as I would ever go.

Will_Die_Trying
10-10-10, 05:22
If $650 is you budget then get the gun.

I would just say, if you can find one in your area then go look at it first. Hold it, bring it to bear against your shoulder, actuate the bolt, look at its over all quality and finsih. I fyou are happy and teh level is sufficient for waht you are looking for then go for it.

But if you buy a $650 rifle that you have never seen in person you are playing a dangerous game of roulette.

You might look at DPMS oracle, or the Spike tactical m4(spikes engaraved symbol is kinda cool)(plus they offer customer engraving for $5.00, thats right $5).

Either way you should find the gun in your area if possible before "pulling the trigger" on a purchase.

If you cannot find it anywhere then go find a DPMS or spike or Rock river or Bush on a shelf. see if you can find one in the $700-800. you might just be better off spending and extra $50 dollars to have a gaurantee that you get one your happy with. plus you save on FFL transfer and shipping. Usually the guns at the store that are "low end" or entry level are competatively priced when you add in the cost of an ONLINE gun +FFL transfer+ shipping.

Good luck to you sir. I hope whatever you choose will make you happy for years to come.

justin_247
10-10-10, 07:42
If $650 is you budget then get the gun.

I would just say, if you can find one in your area then go look at it first. Hold it, bring it to bear against your shoulder, actuate the bolt, look at its over all quality and finsih. I fyou are happy and teh level is sufficient for waht you are looking for then go for it.

But if you buy a $650 rifle that you have never seen in person you are playing a dangerous game of roulette.

You might look at DPMS oracle, or the Spike tactical m4(spikes engaraved symbol is kinda cool)(plus they offer customer engraving for $5.00, thats right $5).

Either way you should find the gun in your area if possible before "pulling the trigger" on a purchase.

If you cannot find it anywhere then go find a DPMS or spike or Rock river or Bush on a shelf. see if you can find one in the $700-800. you might just be better off spending and extra $50 dollars to have a gaurantee that you get one your happy with. plus you save on FFL transfer and shipping. Usually the guns at the store that are "low end" or entry level are competatively priced when you add in the cost of an ONLINE gun +FFL transfer+ shipping.

Good luck to you sir. I hope whatever you choose will make you happy for years to come.

The only useful advice in this entire post is that you should look at the rifle before purchasing it. Since when did a $5 engraving or the finish become more important than an MP-tested bolt, or a properly staked bolt carrier and castle nut?

The only rifle out of the entire bunch mentioned that I would buy is a Spike's, but only if ragnarok was just around the corner and there were no Colts, DDs, BCMs, or Noveskes - I'd never waste money on an RRA, Bushy, or DPMS.

Iraqgunz
10-10-10, 08:34
Nothing wrong with it at all. When I saw the price I didn't believe it. If I had the money I scoop one up right now.

CDNN has Colt LE A2 carbines for $799 right now. That's about as budget as I would ever go.

ST911
10-10-10, 11:03

At that price, buy two. That's a steal.

Dunderway
10-10-10, 12:32
I would love to pick one up and swap in an M4 stripped upper. That would be a hell of a gun for $900.00.

Wish this deal would still be around in six months, once I've moved to another state.

Will_Die_Trying
10-10-10, 19:55
The only useful advice in this entire post is that you should look at the rifle before purchasing it. Since when did a $5 engraving or the finish become more important than an MP-tested bolt, or a properly staked bolt carrier and castle nut?

The only rifle out of the entire bunch mentioned that I would buy is a Spike's, but only if ragnarok was just around the corner and there were no Colts, DDs, BCMs, or Noveskes - I'd never waste money on an RRA, Bushy, or DPMS.

RIIIIIIIIIGHHHTTTTTTTT................:blink:

Never before has someone missed the point so entirely. I dont think you go into a gun shop and look at a $650-700 gun and expect to get all the "extra's". Yes the bonus features are nice but cost more. If $650 is his budget then he is not going to find a gun with all the bonus's.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO... When looking at budget guns you really should try to put your hands on it and yes the only bonus's you are going to find on a budget gun might be little engravings and finish.

Also before you talk smack you should have gone and looked at the SPIKE TACTICAL GUN I WAS TALKING ABOUT MISTER "FEATURES" MAN. Ya know....the one that you can get $5 engravings on :blink:

http://www.spikestactical.com/z/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=113&products_id=443

Oh whats that a M16 Bolt?....

Oh whats that a a properly tested and stacked BCG?

dude seriously. stop being a know it all

120mm
10-10-10, 22:29
RIIIIIIIIIGHHHTTTTTTTT................:blink:

Never before has someone missed the point so entirely. I dont think you go into a gun shop and look at a $650-700 gun and expect to get all the "extra's". Yes the bonus features are nice but cost more. If $650 is his budget then he is not going to find a gun with all the bonus's.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO... When looking at budget guns you really should try to put your hands on it and yes the only bonus's you are going to find on a budget gun might be little engravings and finish.

Also before you talk smack you should have gone and looked at the SPIKE TACTICAL GUN I WAS TALKING ABOUT MISTER "FEATURES" MAN. Ya know....the one that you can get $5 engravings on :blink:

http://www.spikestactical.com/z/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=113&products_id=443

Oh whats that a M16 Bolt?....

Oh whats that a a properly tested and stacked BCG?

dude seriously. stop being a know it all

"dude" seriously, he said that "the only gun on that list he would buy is a Spike's"

The rest of the RRA, Bushy and DPMS trash you mentioned are a waste of money and time spent setting them up right.

Have you read some of the stickies on this forum? This is not "$650HobbyGun.com.

Iraqgunz
10-10-10, 22:34
A friendly warning. Check yourself before you get nuked.

jklaughrey
10-10-10, 22:35
That is too funny 120mm. Maybe we should start a site for 600.00 or under hobby AR15 guns. I would bet we would get quite a few hits. We will just post something like we support ELMER FUDD for President.

pilotguyo540
10-10-10, 22:59
That is too funny 120mm. Maybe we should start a site for 600.00 or under hobby AR15 guns. I would bet we would get quite a few hits. We will just post something like we support ELMER FUDD for President.

I believe you meant "pwesidunt" :sarcastic: