PDA

View Full Version : AIWB and Babies

Gombey
08-20-10, 17:22
I'm expecting my first baby. She should be here in about a week or so. I know that I should have thought about this earlier but.....

Have any of you veteran fathers been able to carry AIWB with your little one? Or am I destined to carry on the hip?

Thanks for the input

Jay Cunningham
08-20-10, 17:37
I have an 11 week old and I carry AIWB all the time.

LOKNLOD
08-20-10, 18:27
My wife is currently carrying baby #3 waaaay AIWB :p

Unless you carry the baby in one of those front hanging baby sling rigs, I don't see an issue with AIWB vs. hip IWB.

Right now, all the bending, squatting, leaning, etc. with the little ones is my big nemesis with keeping from exposing my gun. I'm interested to experiment with AIWB as I think it will stay better concealed than what I've got now.

Palmguy
08-20-10, 18:31
My wife is currently carrying baby #3 waaaay AIWB :p

Unless you carry the baby in one of those front hanging baby sling rigs, I don't see an issue with AIWB vs. hip IWB.

Right now, all the bending, squatting, leaning, etc. with the little ones is my big nemesis with keeping from exposing my gun. I'm interested to experiment with AIWB as I think it will stay better concealed than what I've got now.

It is easier to stay concealed doing all of those crazy activities you just mentioned carrying AIWB than "normal" IWB (3-4:00). For me anyways...1 year old son, Glock 19 or 26 in a Comp-tac MTAC (strong side IWB) or Comp-tac 2 o'clock (AIWB).

Gombey
08-20-10, 19:33
Good stuff!! Thanks guys, I'll carry on w/AIWB. But I will buy another holster for when I am using that front carry thing...

bobdavis
08-20-10, 21:18
I have 2 kids (3 and 5) and they're one of the reasons I don't carry much AIWB.

They're much more likely to bump into the sights when they hug me (I've had a child back up rubbing his or her forehead and saying "ouch!", which is awkward...), and it's nearly impossible to have a child this size sit on your lap without some contact with the pistol.

They try to be quiet about it, since we've had the "we don't talk about guns around other people" discussion, but I get the look. It never happens with strongside hip carry (which still is pretty far forward - right at 3:00 - the slide is on the side seam of my pants), so that's where I tend to stay for now.

I was really getting used to the Shaggy with my G19, but I have more or less given it up for now. I may come back when I lose some weight or in a few years when the kids aren't on my lap so frequently.

I can see that it'd be pretty easy with a baby - they're much smaller!

bob

Littlelebowski
08-20-10, 21:34
Got a 5 wk old, no problems.

Don Robison
08-20-10, 21:38
I play everyday with my 1 and 2 year old grand kids with no issues.

ck1
08-20-10, 22:27
4 month old here, unfortunately I put on about as much weight as she did in the deal and AIWB is currently not a viable option...

Littlelebowski
08-20-10, 22:35
Shoot, I lost weight :)

dookie1481
08-21-10, 01:34
My GF has a 3 year old son. I don't carry him much anymore (man they get big in a hurry) but the only time I have an issue is when he runs head first into my holster or pulls my shirt up in public :mad: I just make sure I hold his hand with my weak hand and keep my gun hand free.

I know it's not the same as having a baby. I have no experience with that yet.

Jay

C-grunt
08-21-10, 02:43
Got a 5 wk old, no problems.

Ohh just you wait....

After having a baby I have gone to pocket carry with a J-frame. Much more comfortable and concealable with the little one.

Magic_Salad0892
08-21-10, 05:03
No issues with a 4 year old nephew.

Unless he asks why I carry a gun in public, again. :mad::eek:

vaglocker
08-21-10, 06:52
Three kids 1, 3 and 5. Carry all three occasionaly (sometimes all at once :smile:). Anyway when I carry them they are usually on my hip and the gun in in the appendix position so it works out well. I dare say that AIWB is almost a pre-requistite cause carrying the gun on the hip would cause an issue.

mark5pt56
08-21-10, 07:05
Now go get a 25lb. bag of rice and hit the range with it(aka baby) in your off hand and on hip and do some one handed draws. Gotta think of it all, blade body aggressively also to shield.

Now I'm not advocating gunfighting with a child but you may be caught in a compromising position.

Ga Shooter
08-21-10, 07:26
Now go get a 25lb. bag of rice and hit the range with it(aka baby) in your off hand and on hip and do some one handed draws. Gotta think of it all, blade body aggressively also to shield.

Now I'm not advocating gunfighting with a child but you may be caught in a compromising position.

Great advice! This is what I did (exceot I used a10 lb bag of potatoes to simulate movement from the little one) and tried several different things until I found what worked. As a note of interest in my last IDPA match part of one stage was to pick up a baby doll and carry it in weak hand while clearing a "house". Because I had done the above I had one of the fastest times posted. Practice what may happen so God forbid if it does happen you might be ready.

pilotguyo540
08-21-10, 07:33
Your wife will pick the baby gear. The car seat, diaper bags, strollers, etc. Make sure you can operate, especially holding the car seat. For the first year you will be lugging the baby around in that thing. Baby weighs 5-25 pounds and the carseat adds another 100 pounds :). I think when they are small your options are greater. When they get bigger you may have problems. I have 3 daughters (4,6,and 7) and must be their personal jungle gym at ALL times. Daddy, big hug!!! Or Daddy, carry me please, can cause a lot of problems. I don't conceal carry (yet) but these are a few potential problems I could see popping up.

Drew78
08-21-10, 10:02
I have kids 2 and 5.

AIWB was a "head knocker" for sure! I have gone back to 3-4 o'clock carry on the hip and a snub in the pocket.

Also, for me the AIWB didnt work with ALL the bending over I usually have to do. Just not comfortable.

Side story, we were at a fair a week or so back and it was pretty busy. I had my Glock 26 IWB at 4 oclock. I was pushing a stroller and this kid came out of nowhere in the crowd, running, got to close to me and wacked his fore head smack dab into the rear sight on my 26. It as a HELL of an impact. I just grit my teeth, kept walking.

pooor kid...

dookie1481
08-21-10, 11:32

I shot an IDPA stage like that

Tennvol12345
08-21-10, 21:41
I have a 7 month old and carry a MP9C or MP45C AIWB. When I carry my little one in my weak hand/arm I notice my shirt gets pulled tighter as he moves around. With AIWB I can see how tight the shirt is. With a traditional strongside carry I notice my gun printing more.

I also practice with a old carseat my neighbor gave me at the range. You get some strange looks and it take a bit of practice, especially while moving.

Reddevil
08-22-10, 08:56
Good stuff!! Thanks guys, I'll carry on w/AIWB. But I will buy another holster for when I am using that front carry thing...

OH NO!!!

Don't be one of those guys. If you must, sling it over your weak side shoulder and it will allow access to you AIWB handgun.

cobb
08-22-10, 11:04
I'm 5'3" 140lbs and can't carry AIWB either way with my G19. With daughters 18 month and 3 weeks old, I carry a j-frame in my left front pocket, 2 spyderco knives, and a flashlight with out a problem during the summer, winter I can pull off my G19 easier.
If you carry AIWB now you should be fine if not try what you already do. Babys grow quick but you should find a method that works before they get too big. Congrats on the new baby.

Gombey
08-26-10, 13:47
Thanks for all the pointers and tips guys! Esp. the ones about training, I was seriously trying to think of a way to simulate a baby.

Red, one has to pick ones battles. I won the doctor's appointment one (I don't want to sit there and watch my princess get poked with a needle) and I won the baby bag battle (got to pick my own) so I'll be that guy once in a while. Keeps her happy :)

Again, thanks guys. I'll let you all know when she FINALLY gets here :)