PDA

View Full Version : Are these gas rings done?

btaksier
08-20-10, 20:14
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k116/btaksier/IMG_0096.jpg

I only have about 600 rounds through this rifle. It's a Smith and Wesson if that helps anyone. Noticed this today while cleaning it. It ran fine at the range last night and hasn't given me one problem. I held the BCG up and the bolt did slide forward but not without resistance. The third ring seems to be missing a piece out of it. I don't remember if it was like that before or not. This is my first rifle so I'm learning as I go.

Thanks for any help you can give guys. Much appreciated.

P2000
08-20-10, 20:50
They look pretty messed up to me, especially the top one. The middle one seems bent as well. Definitely not normal for 600 rounds, I wonder what happened. I would take a look at the inside of your bolt carrier with a flashlight and see if there is something weird going on in there. I would definitely replace them considering how cheap they are.

bkb0000
08-20-10, 20:53
yep.. replace. and the above poster is thinking right about inspecting the carrier, but you probably just had a bad ring. try to find the piece that broke off- might give you problems later, if it's still inside the weapon.

500grains
08-20-10, 21:14
Looks like the piston rings on a Chinese motorcycle engine.

Blankwaffe
08-20-10, 22:04
Looks like the piston rings on a Chinese motorcycle engine.

Heard that....

I do wonder if the rings above are some of those "enhanced" gas rings with the slash cut ends(looks like // rather than tear drop shape)that some of the manufacturers/assemblers are selling.
If so I had some fail around or before the 500 round mark on two different bolts from a somewhat respected manufacturer during the 09 panic....which prompted me to go with the McFarland.

ucrt
08-20-10, 22:42
You might contact S&W. I've heard they really stand behind their AR's.

I've often wondered if some "bubba" just jams the bolt in the carrier without trying to gently slide it into position, if the gas rings could be damaged? From the carrier cutaway pictures I've seen, the gas rings have to be compressed to fit in the carrier and that compressing is the step of resistance you feel inserting the bolt. I don't take my AR apart often, but I try to "work" the bolt in without jamming it home.

I wonder if improper or rough reassembly could be the cause?

Thomas M-4
08-20-10, 22:47
Its beveled inside the carrier. I would be more worried about keeping the rings wet.

And to the OP yep there done replace with a new set.

Belmont31R
08-20-10, 23:06
OP-

If it were my gun Id get a BCM bolt upgrade kit, and then keep it lubed with SLIP EWL.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-SOPMOD-Bolt-Upgrade-Rebuild-Kit-p/bcm%20bolt%20upgrade%20kit.htm

steeltoe
08-20-10, 23:13
I wouldn't expect that after 600 rds. I've got more than that thru my MP15X and they look like new. I do run it "wet" though and I don't think I've shot much more than 200rds in a range trip.

The Solid
08-20-10, 23:35
OP-

If it were my gun Id get a BCM bolt upgrade kit, and then keep it lubed with SLIP EWL.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-SOPMOD-Bolt-Upgrade-Rebuild-Kit-p/bcm%20bolt%20upgrade%20kit.htm

Don't spend $30 on that, the S&W already has the o ring and upgraded spring, and you don't need a new extractor. Spend a couple bucks and just get some new gas rings.

Belmont31R
08-20-10, 23:46
Don't spend $30 on that, the S&W already has the o ring and upgraded spring, and you don't need a new extractor. Spend a couple bucks and just get some new gas rings.

Thats what I would do, and you know you are getting quality parts + keep the originals as spares. Its good to have those parts on hand anyways.

btaksier
08-21-10, 01:08
Thanks guys. I'll order some gas rings tomorrow. I've always given my rifle plenty of oil around the BCG and been careful with reassembly. Hopefully its just a bad ring from the factory.

Pappabear
08-21-10, 03:39
At what round count do you guys expect to need to change them?

BufordTJustice
08-21-10, 03:46
gas rings should never 'wear' like that. That is damage. Gas rings should wear by way of a decreased overall diameter. It should not be visually apparent.

As I stated before, that is damage. Either going with some BCM gas rings or a McFarland ring is gonna solve your problem, provided your carrier is in-spec (maybe check your bolt carrier's bore for burrs?).

As has been stated, finding the remnant of the broken ring would only benefit you. Something like that stuck in the trigger group could cause MAJOR problems and some permanent damage to boot.

markm
08-21-10, 05:30
Looks like one broke/failed or was never right, and that gap allowed the other two to get bent up.